It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan calendar is a sun event tracker!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Its my belief that the Mayans and other ancient civilizations kept track of the sun. Because they knew that it goes a little crazy periodically.
It is also my belief that. The whole concept of global warming is a fabrication in order not to panic the worlds population's.
I believe there is an overwhelming amount of evidence to support this. If you know how to connect the dots.

If anyone agrees or disagrees with this belief. I would love to start a debate on this, and get everyone's opinions and sources.
I cant read enough about this,

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
Its my belief that the Mayans and other ancient civilizations kept track of the sun. Because they knew that it goes a little crazy periodically.

The Mayans kept track of moon cycles which have a lot in common mathematically with motions of the Sun as well as other cosmic bodies. A common misconception is that the Mayans had some kind of mastery over solar cycles and knew things they couldn't have possibly known, but the truth is that they didn't know! The math of simple things like Moon cycles just has a lot in common with the math of larger cosmic cycles.

It is also my belief that. The whole concept of global warming is a fabrication in order not to panic the worlds population's.

If Global Warming is made up, and the reason for making it up is so the worlds population does not panic, then i don't understand. The best way to make the world population not panic is to not make up a crisis.

I believe there is an overwhelming amount of evidence to support this. If you know how to connect the dots.

I'd love to see some of your evidence.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

"If Global Warming is made up, and the reason for making it up is so the worlds population does not panic, then i don't understand. The best way to make the world population not panic is to not make up a crisis."

Not the fact that is happening. "The reason WHY it is happening"

"The Mayans kept track of moon cycles which have a lot in common mathematically with motions of the Sun as well as other cosmic bodies. A common misconception is that the Mayans had some kind of mastery over solar cycles and knew things they couldn't have possibly known, but the truth is that they didn't know! The math of simple things like Moon cycles just has a lot in common with the math of larger cosmic cycles."

Mayan Astronomy
The Maya were quite accomplished astronomers. Their primary interest, in contrast to "western" astronomers, were Zenial Passages when the Sun crossed over the Maya latitudes. On an annual basis the sun travels to its summer solstice point, or the latitude of 23-1/3 degrees north.

"I'd love to see some of your evidence. "
For which point?

Most of the Maya cities were located south of this latitude, meaning that they could observe the sun directly overhead during the time that the sun was passing over their latitude. This happened twice a year, evenly spaced around the day of solstice.
www.crystalinks.com...

[edit on 20-1-2009 by foremanator]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Change is upon us. Its easy to see. The evidence is all around us. 2012 may or may not be BS up the fact remains. We are headed toward a great change.

1.) Global warming/environmental disaster/Ozone depletion/pollution/over population.

2.)Depleting natural resources/running out of oil/running out of clean water/food shortage

3.)Economic collapse/money becoming worthless/no jobs/Anarchy

4.)Exponentail growth in knowledge/technology/internet/machines/AI

5.) Competition/war/tension/struggle for power/nuclear development/suppression of freedom

All of those pretty much relate to each other. We are headed for some serious shiz.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Wisen Heimer]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

i have been reading a book by Adrian Gilbert and Maurice cotterell titled the Mayan prophecies,published in 1995.Maurice cotterell has a chapter about the suns influences on the earth,i found it really interesting but will need to read it again to really take in what he is saying,by the same token i will need to re read all the book slowly as i as i just skimmed it first time.

like you i find all aspects of the sun and its aspects really interesting!!
especially the sunspots effects on the earth.

really hope more people get involved with this topic,as it would be great to get more insight into other peoples opinions......

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If you look into it the world is cooling, not getting warmer. This years we had snow since november and havent ever warmed up to the normal temp. The normal high is in the mid 30s and we are 20+ deg lower then that. The other night it got to -26, Im not sure if that was a record or not.

Global warming is BS, If it was real I would think we would be getting warmer not colder. I cant remember the last time I watched the weather and we set a record high.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Yes. As our solar system crosses through the galactic plane, we will pass through and experience gravity waves that are caused by and radiate from the black hole at the center of our galaxy .. powerful waves .. waves that hold our galaxy together. This is a cyclic event that the Earth has endured on many occasions. It may also be the event that doomed the dinosaurs too.

Exactly by suspicion too. And, it is also my suspicion that these (apparent) uneducated nay-sayers that think all this is just a fairytale myth might just be disinformation agents too, that want to discredit those that are beginning to know what the galactic equinox is all about.

Yup. The galactic equinox is no myth, it is a REAL upcoming event!

I cant read enough about this,

Same here.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You might change your opinion if you read what the Mayans themselves had to say on the subject. For one thing, they maintained several calendars...not just one.

Their "calendars" included a regular 360 day cycle (reformed in the Classical period as a 365 day cycle) as well as the formal 52 year cycle... which doesn't match the 12 year solar sunspot cycle. They also tracked Venus and the Moon and often timed raids and battles when Venus was in a certain phase.
en.wikipedia.org...

There's a lot that's known... from the Mayans themselves (who still exist) about their calendars.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Read 'The Mayan Prophesies' by Adrian Gilbert and Maurice Cotterell Read inside the Appendicies by Cotterell on the solar Cycle, Astrogenetics, Sunspots, 2012 etc.

Also Google Adrian Gilbert and his many books covering this subject. Very enlightening!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michaeljp86
If you look into it the world is cooling, not getting warmer. This years we had snow since november and havent ever warmed up to the normal temp. The normal high is in the mid 30s and we are 20+ deg lower then that. The other night it got to -26, Im not sure if that was a record or not.

Global warming is BS, If it was real I would think we would be getting warmer not colder. I cant remember the last time I watched the weather and we set a record high.

It's more complicated than you're making out. For example, in Britain, global warming really does mean cooling - freezing in fact. The more Atlantic conveyor weakens, the colder it will eventually become and we're likely to see mean temperatures similar to Scandinavia &c.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

You might change your opinion if you read what the Mayans themselves had to say on the subject. For one thing, they maintained several calendars...not just one.

Their "calendars" included a regular 360 day cycle (reformed in the Classical period as a 365 day cycle) as well as the formal 52 year cycle... which doesn't match the 12 year solar sunspot cycle. They also tracked Venus and the Moon and often timed raids and battles when Venus was in a certain phase.
en.wikipedia.org...

There's a lot that's known... from the Mayans themselves (who still exist) about their calendars.

The end date on the "doom and gloom disk" is the end of the 13 baktun cycle; from there it goes to the next disk of the "new" era,new cycle that no one talks about. Because frankly if they did no one would be making any money now would they....

The calendar isn't the end of the flipping world people it is the end of this age/cycle and the transition into the next. THAT IS ALL IT IS.
There is alot more than just one disk there are over 12 of them with a few that are broken or in bad shape due to time and the elements before they where recovered.
If you really want to know about it start looking it up; many of the people studying it have been releasing a lot of data on the Mayans as of late due to all the doom and gloom; the world is ending junk. They where actually an amazing culture that went through some very strange times as well as some obviously violent ones. But will leave all of that for you to look up and be amazed by...

new topics

top topics

join