It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's speech: Sober with dose of hope.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Obama's speech: Sober with dose of hope.

edition.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama, in his inaugural address Tuesday, will lay out the problems facing the country, but will tell the American people "he believes that these challenges will be met," transition officials said.
President Bush and Barack Obama arrive in the Capitol before the swearing-in ceremony.

President Bush and Barack Obama arrive in the Capitol before the swearing-in ceremony.

"The speech balances a very serious and sober tone with a dose of hope and inspiration that we can get through this," said one transition aide, who outlined the address on the condition of anonymity.

The president-elect will talk about the domestic challenges facing the country, move onto foreign policy, specifically speaking to America's image abroad and what it can become.

Obama will also highlight what transition officials describe as "a new era of responsibility" that he thinks needs to take hold in the country. He will also make reference to the issue of civil rights, as the nation remembers the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Obama will not offer specific policy goals during the speech, but a transition aide said there are plans for him to address a joint session of Congress after he takes office. Video Watch what is expected from Obama's speech »

The newly minted president will deliver his address soon after he is sworn in at noon on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol. It is expected to run between 18 and 20 minutes, the officials said.

Obama began working on the speech before the Thanksgiving holiday and sought input from senior adviser David Axelrod, and such luminaries as Ted Sorenson and Dick Goodwin, both speech writers for President Kennedy, historian/authors Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, as well as members of his own speech writing team.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Fact: Obama is the first president of (for lack of better terms) color in the USA
Opinion: Obama is just another president.

In my opinion I like the guy but what's with all this hope stuff?

"The speech balances a very serious and sober tone with a dose of hope and inspiration that we can get through this," said one transition aide, who outlined the address on the condition of anonymity.

It's not just here, it's everywhere you look, is the American/International public really relying on stuff made of fairytale? Even though I would have voted for him, I don't belive this guy is legit, anyone else care to back me up, I know there's been a lot recently on this guy and I suppose it makes since, the whole inauguration thing. Maybe he's an alien with super cool laser eyes that can change bad to good
but I'm guessing he's just a normal guy.

Let me know what you think please.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
To me, his speech was not as impressive as the one given the night he was elected.

There was too much negativity in this one in my opinion.

For me, the Reverend that said the benediction afterwards stole the show.

He could barely move, and struggled to speak, yet he gave the most moving address i've ever seen.

His last few lines about race equality were outstanding.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I liked the speech. Simple and to the point. I did not vote for Obama, but I wish him the best of luck. I hope he does have what it takes to turn America back into the right direction. I also hope he has the courage to remove and replace his appointees when they fail to follow through with what Obama has promised.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I thought it was pretty interesting too that out of all those people (estimated at over 2 million people) that went to see his inauguration and listen to his speech, that NOBODY was arrested!

'Zero' Arrests, Secured Obama Inauguration Rolls On

As Obama has been President Obama watches the inaugural parade from the White House reviewing stand and prepares to attend numerous inaugural balls, law enforcement officials confirm that the the crowds that turned out for the day's festivities remained in check.

"Zero. There have been no inaugural-related arrest[s] reported by any of our law enforcement partners today," the Secret Service said, as of 5 p.m. ET.
******SKIP******
A government official gave an unofficial estimate that the crowd topped 1.8 million, with 1.4 million on the Malland up to 400,000 in nearby streets.

A crowd of at least 2 million people and no arrests!

That is hard to believe!

[edit on 1/21/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The speech sounded a lot like a Bush speech to me. Funny how the reporting changes when its a left wing democrat in office. I cant say I'm surprised.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

They were all googly-eyed at the sight of their messiah.

Obama-Mania .. is NOT a curable disease.

new topics

top topics

join