It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Inauguration Speech

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

i liked that part too. in fact what i heard when he was delivering it was ... "watch out wall street ... i'm coming after you!" the speech transcript doesn't bear me out though so obviously what i heard was wishful thinking, lol.

as to the whole speech, it was well worth getting up early for. as another poster pointed out i didn't think there was anything overly profound in it but what i did hear and like was a lot of plain speaking, common sense and down to earthness.

he reaffirmed to me how in touch with the people and this era he is. i heard a man who not only speaks to change but actually knows how desperately and critically we need it and who is going to do everything in his power to bring it about. (i say 'we' because he did seem to be addressing the whole world in his speech)

my absolute favourite part of his speech was this:

To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.

To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I did not care for it. To be honest it bothered me more than I expected. A lot of what he said was off other presidential speeches. I was hopeing for something more original. I think he was disrespectfull to President Bush, and every other person who had served the country to the best of their abilities. It seemed to me that one of his biggest points was that our country is in the situation it is because, simply, we, and those who work for our country, are selfish slackers. He, being the one to fix it, by making people try harder, and be more giving to their neighbors.

I do think this was a wonderful time in history. We have, in a generation, come past hate, and ignorance electing a proud, intellegent, black man as President of the united states of America. I love how many people are behind his ideals, and want change. I think he worked hard on making his speech memorable and meaningfull to not just Americans, but the world.

I just thought it came off condescending, sour, and arrogant.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
For those who havent seen it yet:

Speech Part I

Speech Part II

It was definitely an interesting speech. I didn't really know what to expect but I'm glad I got to see it. (These are not my videos)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I liked it. Short, to the point. As with all speeches of this sort, it tried and, with me anyway, succeeded in instilling a hope (
) that perhaps he does have a clue about what to do. But as they say, proof is in the pudding...

Nicely delivered, with just enough substance. The real substance is the work he'll do in the Oval Office and on the Hill.

My prayers and best wishes, along with my support are his. Good luck, sir.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join