It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Inauguration Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Obama's inauguration speech....what did youthink?

Powerful? Just OK?

Was it what you expected?

What message did you take away from it?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If you will answer those questions I will give you mine.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Mediocre at best. I am biased...not a fan of Obama at all but, I HAVE heard him give much better speeches. This was bland and cliche.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I thought it was excellent.

He admitted there were problems, that he is going to adhere to the constitition, and get rid of Bush's policies that were against it. That he let Americans know that things are not going to be instantaneous, and that Americans need to put forth more effort and consolidate.

Very eloquent.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I was encouraged by the fact that he recognized the power of the free market to generate wealth (jobs). I was worried he would push gov't as the solution to all problems.

I didn't hear any keeper lines. But that's just me.

And did he mention the word 'muslim' or did I hear wrong? I wonder why he would do that.

Official transcript should be online shortly.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'll tell you a bizarre thing I caught in the Pastors speech, 3 words he said without any context surrounding it to make any real sense: "Hero Is Real", however he pronounced it "Hero Israel". In the current circumstances I just had to think about it hard, despite a friend telling me that americans speak differently than us brits.

Apart from that slight I thought his speech was well rehearsed bullsh*t. The guy can talk very well indeed but pushing the soldier sympathy (how many veterans are homeless)? and the educate our children better thing, is old pat. Oh cant forget the "New Age" words he repeated again and again. Yeah, not impressed. Was almost in tears for the ppl watching below who were in tears for the wrong reasons.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I wasn't impressed. Sounded just like every other acceptance speech I've ever heard except for some very minor details that I can't even remember now.

Sorry, I'm just jaded after hearing speeches and nothing ever really changing. Well, actually Bush changed things; for the worse.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think people have to realize that the inaug speech isn't the place for political grandstanding and statements.

His first State of the Nation speech is going to contain the meat and potatoes. That will be the speech to watch for info.

I don't know what people really expected him to say.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here is a pointer to the transcript of the speech:

Speech

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
A speech like the words on this screen have little or no meaning unless there is a believable message contained in those words.

I believe that Obama's speech had a powerful message, but again it is only words. Personally I am waiting to see the actions that will come from those words, and if those actions hold true to the message then all will be good.

All in all... a good speech, a good day to be American, a good day rising above so many bad ones for a nation that needed it.

Lets hope the positive energy produced today lasts and is ultimately productive.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Well, I thought differently. Obama's speech was probably rehearsed but he
delivered it like Kennedy and many others before him. I was more impressed
by the attendance of the nearby people (>=1.4 million) which was more
than any attendance at previous Inaugarations.

He basically said "stop making excuses" and we have to fix the broken US
economy and government. He wanted people to stop wasting time judging
him based on his skin color and respect him for wanting to DO SOMETHING
about the messed up economy and political system(s) at hand.

Stop trying to point fingers at him and wake up on the REAL economic situations we are dealing with today (and tomorrow).

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
here to my mind are the most important lines of the speech. Maybe not the ones that'll stick around in history books, or late night comedy, or even in the public conciousness. But to my mind, again, the most important...

On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics

Others have said these words or similar. Yes, indeed they have...but if President Obama can live up to these high sounding, and important, words; this nation is in good hands. I, for one, wish him the very best in the next four years, and if he does a good job, four years after that...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The speech was well delivered as usual from Obama. Contextually though, I think it lacked the wow factor everyone was anticipating. As historical as this day is, I was expecting something more profound.

Perhaps he needs a speech writer with more wisdom. His chief speech writer is only 27. I don't think any of his words from this speech will be etched in stone.

I was impressed with his direct address to the Muslim world.

I was equally impressed with the dignity and respect that the GW and wife displayed towards Barack and Michelle as they boarded Marine 1 for the last time.

It is now time for reality to set in for Obama.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I haven't heard it as yet and since I wasn't even invited, I went and took advantage of the empty laundry mat.
I'm sure PO is a decent speaker and easier on the ears....to me anyway. But the first thing I noticed on line was the big drop in the stock market.
I'm sure I'll be hearing the reviews on the news right away. Good luck to all of us, not just him and his new admistration.

I'm curious to see what the first 90 days brings us.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Probably because Barak mentioned that it needs to be regulated again. The good ol' boys are not happy that they might lose their complete free reign.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I didn't watch the speech. It's the same way as I feel about bringing in a New Year or celebrating many of the Hallmark holidays. I don't make a point of it. It's hype.

He will be a man of conscience or he will not -
He will likely only have so much power regardless of his conscience.

If his intentions are clean, and they appear to be, then that is a great start -
and if these intentions can help to provide the country with a more honest and productive government - then even better.

The one thing he does have right -
Is that we are all responsible.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

It was OK, not exceptionally unforgiving but neither boring.

The part that stuck to me occurs due in part of what our government is been doing with wall street is that control will be needed to keep track of the financial and wall street.

That is the only part that I took interest in.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This,

"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

was the best part of the speech to me. Not only the written words but the forcefullness with which he spoke them. Gave me hope.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
"Our health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet. "

I thought this was spot on! I really hope that the push for new energy sources is a top priority.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Creedo]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think it was excellent and very powerful.

The message he sent to the whole world was brilliant....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join