It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is NASA looking at mars or the moon to live on when earth is destroyed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
NASA seems to be looking at mars pretty hard about finding life or if life could live on mars and now it looks like they are looking at the moon.

Does anyone think they want to build a shelter there so important people can live there for a few years after something like a super volcano or meteor kills everyone on earth? Then they fly back to earth and start over.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well NASA isn't looking at either place right now as a viable lifeboat for the human race.

NASA does not accept that the Earth is in any danger from a natural disaster. They are currently on the Global Warming bandwagon and they think that it the human race that is destroying the planet.

It has been fairly recently that Stephen Hawking has said that we need to look for a backup location. So far, not too many other serious scientists have come forward. I am not sure if Hawking is serious and I think that a lot of the scientific community are wondering as well.

If we need a lifeboat within the next hundred years, then I think that we are seriously screwed. Any later than that and we will have significant populations on the moon and mars. So in that case both would serve as a lifeboat.

My personal opinion is that we need more than that. We need to begin the process of finding and exploring other solar systems. I think that we should start by developing a deep space probe, capable of traveling one light year.

This would get us to the Ort Cloud around our own solar system and would be very valuable. It would also set a benchmark for space exploration, because if we could send an unmanned probe one light year, then we could send one 4, or 10, or 30. This would get the ball rolling in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The moon could serve as a jumping off point for other, distant points, the closest being Mars. Of course, we will have to terra-form Mars, a project that is not beyond our means at this point in timel. We need to begin this process now. I feel certain there is water beneath the surface, and we can set that water free.
Of course, even with terra forming, the atmosphere will remaion thin and the temprature will remain coulder than it is here on earth. BUt if we start now, it can be done, in case, as a race, we have to bug out!
From Mars, we can expand out to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, and man can spread throughout the universe.
BUT WE MUST START NOW! AND WE MUST NOT RELY ON NASA! WE MUST RELY ON NASA!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'd be interested to see the article with Hawking suggesting the back up location. Do you have a link? It is all very "Alternative 3" and "Report From Iron Mountain". I notice that Hawking and Sagan seem to keep out of the conspiracy gosip of ufos and aliens etc. I understand they stick to known science, although science is changing. I always felt that these two guys would be privy to any info regarding extraterrestrial life. Perhaps they have been briefed with all the "the people can't deal with the truth" stuff.
Obviously the words of such renowned geniuses would have a huge impact on the disclosure movement.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Life, and by extension, humanity, is always looking for a way to perpetuate itself. It's always trying to prepare itself for the worst case scenario. That's why critters crawl and fly and burrow. Just in case something nasty happens, it's best to spread yourself out.

We're smart, and maybe have a chance to extend ourselves onto other planets, which might be a good way to avoid getting wiped out by an asteroid or something. But we're nowhere near the point of being able to create a self-perpetuating Mars or Moon colony. It'll take a long, long time before we could build a colony capable of either repopulating the Earth after a major catastrophe or moving on to other planets using the Moon or Mars as a stepping stone.

Our best bet at the moment is to figure out how we can continue to live on this planet without screwing it up. But that isn't as cool as flying to other planets.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here is a link to an article about Stephen Hawking saying that we must colonize space if we are to survive as a species.

www.space.com/news/060613_ap_hawking_space.html

It is a very interesting idea, but ...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sorry the link that I posted is broken. Here it is again.

http:\\www.space.com/news/060613_ap_hawking_space.html

top topics

join