It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by salchanra
First let me say that I like your cache idea. Always good to have "checkpoints" to either hide out en route to your final destination or stop to restock yourself or others in your party.
With that said, your cache seems to hold a good deal of stuff in it. How on earth do you afford all of this for multiple locations? Next, is how do you protect it/hide it from the rest of the world that would happily loot you. Seriously, Im a fairly honest person, but if Im wandering through the woods and find a AR-15 in a tree trunk, its more than likely coming home with me.
You mentioned you likely wouldnt be able to turn people away who joined you, thats all well and good, but in reality, not you or I, or even super survivalist NR can take care of everyone. What he does with horses is a different matter however. Those who didnt plan ahead like you will need to suck it up and endure more hardships than those who planned. If you try and help everyone, in the end, you are helping no one.
Plan your caches, but plan small. There is no need to have 4 well stocked caches with so much stuff that you wind up leaving a good portion of it behind. Keep your "checkpoints" small, hidden and containing only the essentials, a little food, water, firestarter, knife, etc... and use the rest of your time and money preparing your long term shelter, be it a cave, cabin, tree fort whatever.
Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Thank you all for your comments - I do agree that my cache items comprise a heck of a lot of goods and could be extremely expensive, and lets face it, who has the time to do this sort of thing anyway.
However, I am working on the following premises:
1. we will be walking
2. the distance will be long (100 to 250km's)
3. their is a lack of drinkable water
4. the weather will be harsh (extemely hot or if travelling by night, extremely cold
5. there could be a lot of E&E (escape and evasion) to avoid possible hunters.
6. we will be accompanied by sick or injured people.
7. I don't always want to remove all items from caches in case I need to retrace my steps several times.
Most people planning caches seem to assume 100% health as well as short distances under ideal conditions.
What shops would be on your list? Apart from the usual food/supplies stores?
First on my list would be the local gunstore:
1. need to get into the arms race pretty darn quick - trying to own a weapon in South Africa is an ordeal and most don't even bother.
2. lots of stuff I need there that I won't be able to get beforehand without a prescription or drawing attention to myself)
Just want to send out a shout to TheMythLives for giving me this thread idea.