It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caches and Essential Items

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
If I was anticipating a major EVENT and felt there might be a need to relocate to a safer location, I would consider setting up a trail of caches en route to my destination much like various Special Forces do for their operatives.

These caches would conceivably contain the following essential items:
High energy foods
Medicine (including snakebite ant-venom kits)
Clothes + footware (for cold, wet, and hot conditions)
Blankets + sleeping bags
Water and Water purification tablets
Binoculars
Gas Masks (most Israeli households own one per family member)
Maps
Weapons and ammunition (including knives and cross-bow - they can be useful for silent defence/attack)
Non-lethal weapons such as mace, tasers, pepper spray
Fishing equipment (line, hooks, telescopic fishing rods, reels)
Seed stock (for final destination)
Rucksacks for carrying items
Cigarette lighters (in addition to flint sparker)
Spare contact lenses or spectacles if required
Walki Talkies plus rechargeable batteries
Radio plus rechargeable batteries
Solar charger for batteries
Items for cooking food in - pots, cups etc.

If a person is to cross a major river, an inflatable boat would also be useful - in Africa, swimming is not always an option due to crocodiles.
In any event, bridges may not always be used, and you may have a small child or person unable to swim accompanying you.

The reason for creating a number of these caches is because some of your caches may be compromised or in a compromised position - sometimes you may need to find the alternate cache.

Having extra items is also a good thing - people will naturally attach themselves to a group who is better organised - I for one would find it hard to turn away people in need. Always overestimate your requirements.

What other items/ideas do ATSers have to add to my list?

[edit on 20/1/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

That's a pretty good list. I'd recommend on top of that maybe stashing some tarps in case you need shelter before reaching your destination, especially if you have others that join your party. Thinking of others that may join (I would also have a hard time turning away people in need) it may be a good idea to stash some baby food and formula in case there are infants or toddlers in the group who can't eat normal food yet.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Yes, good idea on the tarps, but I would rather recommend some good quality lightweight all weather tents ... Tarps can be heavy to carry.

If you really have the cash, stashing some quad bikes would be the cherry on top. Failing that, try liberate some horses from local stables!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I think horses would be a better long term decision. Once the quads run out of fuel they're about useless. Horses are pretty much self maintaining and are good for years.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I think horses would be a better long term decision. Once the quads run out of fuel they're about useless. Horses are pretty much self maintaining and are good for years.

I agree ... and they can be eaten in an emergency. I know this will cause some people to rear up in horror, but when a person has been starved to the point of death, they tend to lose all their animal rights points-of-view.

In fact there was a case of a plane crash in the Andes where (some?) survivors eventually ate the dead. They survived 10 weeks under horrific conditions.
Alive!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X

Heck if you leave a horse tied up around here it would get screwed or eaten within minutes.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Darn, where do you live? Somalia? Australia?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

I'm sorry but this is extremely racist!
What do you think we're like in Australia?
We're not a bunch of carnivores!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Here are some other items I have left out:
Toilet paper
Compass
Rope and cords
Hiking gas cylinders & accessories
Space blankets
Plastic bags
Mosquito nets and insect repellent
mirror
emergency first aid kit
can opener
sewing kits
female sanitary goods
personal hygiene kits

The largest long-term survival caches should contain:
shovels, axes, saws, nails, hammers, screws, wire etc.
toolbox (wrench, pliers, screwdrivers etc)
flour, cooking oil, large quantities of food
buckets
camping cots
personal hygiene kits including razor blades
female sanitary goods

Here is a good article detailing various kinds of kits required:
Article

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by iced_blue

This was a joke (have you never told an Irish joke in your life?) ... here in SA we lovingly refer to the Australian rugby and cricket players as sheep-shaggers.
All in the spirit of healthy sledging of course

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
alright, it can be hard to tell sarcasm on the internet.
here in Australia we refer to New Zealander's as sheep shaggers.

Nice list BTW.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Thank you, glad you did not take too much offence... I am a very mild-mannered paranoid schizophrenic.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Naa England, the Aussies prefer a long engagement before sexual realations commence, and for some reason most of their fiances are called BaaaBara

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by iced_blue

I'm sorry but this is extremely racist!
What do you think we're like in Australia?
We're not a bunch of carnivores!

No your a bunch of sheep shaggers , and I note your only complaining about the eating part not the stealing

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Anyway ... moving swiftly along to the original topic ...

erm and thanks for the alternative input ...

Here is a question - how long does long life milk last?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Anyway ... moving swiftly along to the original topic ...

erm and thanks for the alternative input ...

Here is a question - how long does long life milk last?

Up to a few months if kept in a cool dark cupboards, South African eh ? we call them failed Rhodesians

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I think it'll last a few months. I agree about having tools and materials because if the [SNIP] really hit the fan you would need permanent shelter. I don't know why people would shudder at eating a horse. Survival is the A#1 priority. Hell I'd eat my dog, cat, gerbil, or whatever if it was the difference between life and death.

South African eh ? we call them failed Rhodesians

...and I call that a failed post.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Hey, I was born in Rhodesia!

My ancestors come from South Africa, who came from Denmark who came from ... argh ... it gives me a headache.

Now I am back in South Africa. I wonder if my descendants will return to Europe to complete the circle.

Seriously, if I was to move out of the city in a hurry I was wondering where exactly would I go (I am not luck enough to have a prepared retreat/hideout).
In Africa it would have to be near water .. where there is water, there would be wildlife. The only problem is because water is a scarce resource here, there would also be people.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Hey, I was born in Rhodesia!

My ancestors come from South Africa, who came from Denmark who came from ... argh ... it gives me a headache.

Now I am back in South Africa. I wonder if my descendants will return to Europe to complete the circle.

Seriously, if I was to move out of the city in a hurry I was wondering where exactly would I go (I am not luck enough to have a prepared retreat/hideout).
In Africa it would have to be near water .. where there is water, there would be wildlife. The only problem is because water is a scarce resource here, there would also be people.

"Hey, I was born in Rhodesia!
"
Then you are a man of quality , but unfortunately if a really big SHTF situation being where you are leaves you as a small minority in a hostile environment. What about that self contained township built for and only available to people of european blood is that still going?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You are thinking of the town called Orania:

Orania is a controversial South African town that is located along the Orange River in the arid Karoo region of its Northern Cape province. It is an attempt to realise a separatist ideal of some Afrikaners of a self-governing Volkstaat. The town is unique among South African towns in being only one of two (other being Kleinfontein) all-Afrikaner White enclaves in the country.

Link

These are people who are too narrow-minded to want to mix with anyone else ... heck the very fact that I speak English already makes me unwelcome there.

All jobs, from management to manual labour, are filled by Afrikaners only; non-Afrikaner workers are not permitted. "We do not want to be governed by people who are not Afrikaners", said Potgieter, the previous chairman. "Our culture is being oppressed and our children are being brainwashed to speak English." [2]

I am afraid that is not a place I would consider - it would also be a First-Strike target if the SHTF.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join