It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Politicians be Punishable for their Lies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
So I was just watching some Youtube videos... Michelle Obama at a rally, flaunting Obama as the ONLY person who said that "This war was WRONG".
Quite ironically, I know 100% that this is untrue.

Then a couple other instances came to mind. Other Obama statements while he campaigned for presidency, that have already been called out to be lies.
Bush's WMD's. (enough said).
Bush's "Read my lips. I will NOT raise taxes".

And really, it does not end here. We are lied to constantly, by those in power. The media. Everyone.

Does anyone else feel that knowingly lying to the public should be punishable? As far as I know, it is perfectly legal to make whatever claim you want when you are in power, or campaigning to be in power ??

EDIT: Just for fun.... Does Bush seem nervous in this video??

[edit on 20-1-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Article II, Section IV of the United States Constitution states "the President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

One of the dictionary's definitions of "treason" is "the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery."

A President, Vice President, or any civil officer lying to the American people certainly is a betrayal of the trust and confidence of the American people put in these people. If the act which they are lying about is in the best interest of our country and we as a people, why lie?

If we go by definitions, lying is an impeachable offense. Since Bush has worse impeachable offenses on his resume that have been ignored by those that are put in place to act as the balance of power in this country, I would not hold high hopes for the truth to begin flowing from the mouths of our 'leaders'.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
punishment should rarely even be necessary. the minimum standards should equate this BS to political suicide. we should call behavior like this immediately and weed this type out of contention early. how about we at least not worship these bastards and faint at their speeches. start there and maybe some of us can come out of hiding from the shame and humiliation? i see americans willing to walk the coals for this guy, while we don't have a clue what "change" is, or if he was even born here? punishment would be an appropriate request in a normal thinking society, but that hasn't been around in a while. baby steps.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AnCap

There are many instances of graft, taking bribes and just not collecting monies owed to the American people by this administration's appointees and employees. The Land Office people clearly acted illegally in their changing of contract bid prices and non-collection of the monies owed to the American people by the oil companies. Funny, the Bush Justice Department declined to prosecute those people.
I do believe that Holder needs to seek out the truth in the actions of the different departments of the Bush Administration - start with the SEC and the CFTC - and prosecture the wrong doers. Obama can say we should just move on - but I don't think the American people(or the world)will be satisfied with that. Billions of dollars have been SUCKED out of the American people (now and future monies) by this crew of amoral gangsters. The first bail-out by Paulson was no more than extortion disguised as a crisis. Very much like Bush/Cheney sold us the Iraq war. No, I say go after them all and make it clear that you can not get away with what they have done. Add the illegal torture and wire-tapping of regular American citizens to the list. Many of us will not sleep well until we know they have been punished for their outlandish and outrageous victimization of us and this country.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The punishments should be double becasue the CIVIL LEADERS should know better!

And triple for ANY law enforcement officer that knowingly and willingly breaks the laws that they made an oath to defend!!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Well I think we all feel by now that it would be unrealistic, to ask for honesty from somebody campaigning to serve us as president.

It is true, I think a lot of people have lost confidence in government after all of the deception we have endured....

But maybe America is leading the way in upsetting the world so much, that an 'international government' will have to be created to 'monitor' and keep all governments accountable.
I say this, since it doesn't seem like the UN has much bearing on anything we do. And Israel has BLATANTLY gone against the UN, and even attacked their volunteer relief workers.

I think American 'leaders' have been BLATANT in their disrespect for American citizens, and the international community.

I mean, seriously. How realistic would it be to ask Obama outright to just say "I have every intention to screw you guys over, so the elite can profit further", if this was the truth?

EDIT: Typo..

[edit on 20-1-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnCap
Article II, Section IV of the United States Constitution states "the President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

One of the dictionary's definitions of "treason" is "the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery."

The Federal Courts and the U.S. Code define "treason" in the Constitutional sense, not Merriam-Webster or wikipedia. Lying during a political campaign is not "treason" by anyone's definition, nor is it a misdemeanor in most places.

The "punishments' available include recall/referendum (see, e.g., California), impeachment (see, e.g., Illinois), term limits, and re-election (or not).

If you don't like the candidate or believe the "pledges" and "promises," become active and do something constructive. Isn't that what a free press and blogosphere are for, at a minimum?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The thing about lies is that sometimes people slip up, or say something they think at the moment is true, but then it turns out not to be etc.

Imagine if everything you ever said was tested on if it was true or not. Would pretty much apply to everyone, and then just becomes a scapegoat when people want to ditch someone.

But there are crimes and those should be enforced. And they aren't, so if they aren't going to do anything about that, then you know getting them for lieing is even lower on the list, not to mention who has to pass it to begin with. Better chance that congress will vote in a pay decrease.

I do think every law and things added should have to show where it gets it's power and ability from the constitution. Then the supreme court only has to look at how they say it's doable to dismiss it or not, which would speed up that process a bit, plus when you start asking them to show where the constitution gives them permission, they will have a harder time defending things to the public in general.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Yes they should be punishable, just like you and me.
And along time ago they were punishable, until they started writing laws to stop themselves being punished.

new topics

top topics

join