It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Games are SERIOUS BUSINESS. (Apparently)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me how people can treat each other like complete garbage, especially over trivial things like video games. This seems to be the norm in online gaming though. You can't seem to play ANYTHING without the constant childish crapola being tossed in your face. If it isn't a FLAWLESS VICTORY every match, it seems players can expect to be informed of the following:

- You are a terrible player. You should quit all games.
- Judging by your performance in the game, you are also a failure in the real world. Suicide is recommended.
- You are a homosexual.
- Your reproductive organs are useless and inferior.
- Your mother is a prostitute.
- Your intellect is lacking.
- You suffer from some sort of personality disorder.
- You are morbidly obese. You live in your mothers' basement.
- Your sister is overly promiscuous and has multiple STD's.
- Your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband is leaving you for the winner(s) because of your lackluster performance.
- You are socially inept and will never have a girlfriend/boyfriend wife/husband

This list could probably go on for ages. You get the picture, I'm sure many of you have been told things like this before, albeit in a much more offensive fashion. I really want to know... Why? It's a game. It isn't reality. Aren't games supposed to be for fun? Winning is fun, but can't you have fun and still lose once in a while? When did it become the norm to treat your fellow gamer like dirt?

I understand that people can grow frustrated when people perform exceptionally poorly, but people don't think about the bigger picture. Said player could just be having a bad day, latency issues, or *gasp*, they might be new to the game or games in general. You've got to start somewhere.

:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Catfish

I think these people (about half, don't bite my head off okay), have personal issues them selves. They can say these things while hiding behind a screen like the cowards they are with no fear of getting punched in the face.

Just listen to some people that play World of Warcraft and Halo. There are videos on youtube that are pretty funny.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Slash]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sorry to be the pessimist, but go and tell that to some football hooligans. (and I am not going to use the S word)

It's todays equivelent of sitting behind the batter saying "swing batter batter".
Just trying to put people off their game.

Just remember the person calling you a sad mummies boy is doing the exact same thing as you, sitting on your butt playing a video game.

Don't take it to heart, that'll make you as miserable as them.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Welcome to the wonderful world of Psychological Warfare.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Yep I agree. I like to hear them get mad when I ignore them. They don't bother me. Mind over mater.
I really love to listen to the people that just do it because they can, trolling in a sense.

It's a different ball game when playing football, you're face to face, where as if you were playing over the net, people can and will say nasty things more often because they are not face to face.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Slash]

JbT

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I agree that bullying and making fun of people online and in video games is useless and uncalled for. Its childish and immature to make fun of people less skilled.

Having said that. There is a definite distinction between those who excel at video games and those who are less coordinated with video games.

Im sure the military would be able to provide data on this matter, in fact. Given the new branches of remote controlled defense.

In terms of MMO's. If you are running a guild, and trying to see "end game" scenarios its in your best interest to judge people on their playing ability. This helps to plan out encounters, placing the proper people for the task on the right task at hand.

In fact, in most end game guilds there will be a application process in which you will most likely have to show your ability to the members, and if you preform up to a certain standard you might get into that guild. If not, your probably going to be told that the guild mysteriously "filled up the spot" or are no longer needing your class. In some cases they will just tell you your not good enough for them, simple as that.

Ive been a part of a WoW guild in which I was a 'physical DPS officer'. It was my job to judge the physical DPS members ability and coordinated encounters with that information. You do not want people who are hard of learning, or slow learners when learning new content. It can be the difference of learning a new boss encounter in less than a week, or as much as many weeks.

So, while in most cases video games are meant for fun, some times judging peoples ability is critical in order to have that said 'fun'. ie: see the end game of MMO's.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I consider myself to be decent at the games I play (primarily Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead). It's just really annoying to me that these types of insults are so abundant. A good portion of them comes from your own teammates as well, which never ceases to amaze me. There's never any pep-talk, never any suggestions for the "noob" on how to improve, instead it's all about harassing said player until they quit. Also, it's not that I'm actually offended by their insults, it's that it never seems to end.

I used to play WoW, and I've long since quit because everyone and their dog seems to have amazing advice for everyone else, even when they can't play their own class worth a grain of salt. Very hard to find a mature guild.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Yea, I hate how people react to beginners/"noobs". too much emphasis on winning. we get enough of that mentality from reality, I hate to see it carry over into video games. I like to help a "noob" out instead of berating them for trying to play a game.

I can sort of understand the reasons for all the insults and trash talk. This type of behavior mostly takes place in highly competitive games. Winning is the main goal, the difference between an incredible experience and a depressing one relies primarily on the end result rather than the entire gaming experience. So even if you played a very good individual game, if a "noob" player on your team costs you the match, I can understand being upset considering the circumstances.

And of course then you have what are called "griefers" who play just to piss others off. They're there just to make sure your experience playing the game sucks, they'll cheat, use hacks, team kill you, gang up on you with their friends in what are supposed to be solo multiplayer matches, etc.. It's just another part of reality making itself into video games. Some people are just jerks.

I tend to avoid highly competitive games for these reasons. It's not the type of experience I want.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Yes such things make games not fun. Not just online games - the aggression satisfaction and 'p0nership' requirements seem to affect most recent game design. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Might I recommend (free!):
www.ifcomp.org...

Text adventures: not just for the 1980s anymore!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
please dont bite my head off for saying this, but thats one thing i hated when i played my XBOX 360, halo or call of duty 4, seemed like nuthing but a bunch of WWF fans ( no offense ).

i was glad when i sold my xbox for that reason. Now i will admit ive said some things too. but 85% of the time, i was 'normal' sitting there playing my game. enjoying the matches.

i never need to brag about my ability to game, although i like to brag about my ability to solve puzzles in RPG's or adventure games, but running and gunning isnt 'ALL THAT'.

Im not named Lord Thumbs for nothing.

new topics

top topics

join