It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplained Mysteries of DEAD RINGERS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
September 12th 2008 4:23pm. A Metrolink commuter train with 225 aboard slams into Union Pacific freight train on winding route in Chatsworth. It left 24 people dead and almost 150 injured.

On of those who died in that horrible accident was Charles Peck.Medical examination of his body showed that he had died quickly after the collision, almost instantaneously.

But for hours after his death, his family received a total of 35 calls from his cell phone.

At 9:08PM nearly five hours after the crash, Peck’s fiancé Andrea Katz received one of those calls. But when she answered, all she heard was static. Despite hearing nothing from the other side she told him to hang on and that help was on the way.

Whenever they tried to call him back all the calls were routed to the voicemail.

When the rescue efforts stopped at the scene and the rescue workers turned to the grim task of recovery another call came from his phone and the search crews decided to trace it. They found it had come from the first train, so they went back to scour the rubble in hopes of finding him alive. The last phone call came from Charles Peck’s phone at 3:28AM, almost an hour before they found his lifeless body.

theunexplainedmysteries.com...

I know people who have experienced this and I am still at a loss to explain it. Any ideas out there? Have YOU or anyone you know experienced this?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Its an odd story...

Was even better the first time I read it.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search function is your friend.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I read about this story on Snopes (it was confirmed as true, for inquiring minds) and I believe it was noted that the mobile phone was never located. I have a theory about the possible cause of the calls, one that has been echoed by others. A malfunctioning mobile phone will often dial numbers from its address book and, alternatively, from it's "Previous Calls" list. My own phones have done this on a few occasions, as have the phones of people I know. It is not at all uncommon. Now, the stories I've known of these silent or static-ridden mobile phone calls have always been attributed to victims of vehicular accidents, particularly train and subway crashes. The trauma of a fatal crash is likely to damage a mobile phone, though its size would easily allow it to avoid absolute destruction. A damaged mobile phone might very well begin automatic dialing, as I have experienced with my own malfunctioning phones. This might account for some of these occurrences.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Couple of years ago, my wife and I took a week off and headed for the Atlantic coast for a bit of R&R. We stayed at a very nice waterfront condo with all sorts of dining and entertainment options within easy driving distance; and, of course, we spent a good deal of time every day out on the beach.

Second day, I decided to try the surf fishing, for which I was well equipped. I had heard that the bluefish were running, and I wanted some of that action, so I geared up and waded out into the warm Atlantic.

About the time the water reached my midsection, I realized with no small horror that my new LG cellphone was still in my pants pocket. That would be the pocket that was submerged under a foot of seawater.

Well, I was certain that I'd ruined the phone — electronic devices just don't mix very well with salty surf, for some reason. So I took the damned thing back to the condo for emergency maintenance. My wife made a face when I showed her the soggy cell, but I assured her I'd "try to fix it." Whatever that means.

Like most other electronic devices, a cellphone can, theoretically, survive submersion in water, so long as it is allowed to dry out for a good long time. But salt water is different, it's horribly corrosive to electronic components, so I had to submerge the cellphone again in fresh water to flush out the brine before attempting to dry it out.

As I shook the water out of the poor LG, my wife received a call on her cellphone. She laughed, "It's from you," pointing at my phone. As soon as she hung up, her phone rang again. It was me again. This happened repeatedly, about 10 times, in just a couple of minutes. My drenched phone was apparently shorting out and performing functions at random, calling my wife's number like a speed-dialer over and over until I removed the battery pack.

After drying out for a couple of days, the LG was good as new, and that phone is still functioning to this day.

As this pertains to "dead ringers," I'm willing to bet that "the phenomenon" occurs because the cellphone is abruptly doused with water or blood or piss or some other fluid at the moment of a violent death. In a way, it's a pretty nifty violent-death-alert system, but it's not supernatural.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/20/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I love this story. I don't really accept the idea of his phoning his loved ones. The phone was never found, did he take it with him? Despite that, I still tell the kids the story. I checked it on Snopes and they still say it was true. There was no question of the man using the phone. The cause of death was immediate. It's a delicious mystery and open to speculation. You can take the romantic view of the man somehow overcoming the barriers of death to reassure his family. You can imagine an Angel or even a sick prankster. Proof of life after death?

Maybe it was a trapped phone, a speed dial and a train moving slightly as the rescue services use cutting equipment and the wreckage settles? It'll remain a good story to tell and an intriguing mystery.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
Its an odd story...

Was even better the first time I read it.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search function is your friend.

The link you posted was of a specific incident. This thread is broader in range - please pay attention - the first time you read it. Paying attention is your friend.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Grock]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have a friend who recently died and his surviving wife has recieved phone calls from his cell phone, even though his phone is no longer in service... However, i did not witness the calls and only have her word to go on. But this has happened to me twice (when i was younger, before cell phones and caller ID) after my father died, the voice sounded like my father saying "Its Ok, Im Alright".

top topics

join