It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First glimpse of exoplanet atmosphere from Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Two separate teams of scientists reported Wednesday the first-ever detection from Earth of the atmosphere of planets outside our solar system. Taken together, the studies open a new frontier in the study of exoplanets, hard-to-detect celestial bodies circling stars beyond our own solar system. Barely 300 exoplanets -- some of which may have conditions similar to those that gave rise to life on Earth -- have been identified so far, though astronomers assume that far more are waiting to be discovered. Up to now, virtually everything known about the atmosphere of exoplanets has come from data collected by the space-based Spitzer infrared telescope. But Spitzer will soon run out of the cryogens needed to keep its instruments cool, severely limiting its capabilities. One team spotted a massive planet many times the size of Earth named OGLE-TR-56b, a so-called "hot Jupiter." Hot Jupiters are massive planets -- many times the size of Earth -- that orbit very close to their stars. Because they are so near, they are believed to be hot enough to emit radiation in optical and near-infrared wavelengths that would be visible from Earth.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=ArQiif8pq5ZsigOIKClYvoLPOrgF

We are about to start discovering planets from a whole new set of paradigms. Our planetary horizons have just exponentially expanded. That alone is worth celebrating.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Feb 18 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
We finally can view the atmospheres of extrasolar planets and not one reply? Im amazed...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That is Amazing... maybe now the idea of a Galactic Federation isn't so far fetched anymore. haha

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thats really amazing! I wonder if this will be what proves life on other planets. I don't know much about this topic, but I'm sure this is going to bring something huge. Thanks

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
Thats really amazing! I wonder if this will be what proves life on other planets. I don't know much about this topic, but I'm sure this is going to bring something huge. Thanks

You are most welcome. And thank you for allowing me to believe that i wasnt the only one who found this to be an amazing find. Thought maybe i was crazy there for a bit lol

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is most interesting, I'm guessing it's rare to find planets in the goldielocks zone, but 300 so far! Doing pretty good if you ask me. I think planets that are capable of supporting microbial life or even primitive invertebrates are common in the Milky Way and indeed the whole universe; And we should make more attempts to locate extarsolar planets, launching something to replace the Spitzer would be a good start. Nice find!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It is amazing and I am sure you have received lots of views, its just people are not commenting .

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Great news! gave you a star and flag... it would be a vast and very lonely place if our planet was the only one in the universe that had life. There is definately life out there some life in the form of bacteria although some in the form of intelligent and evolved beings. Of course I have no proof but this is just my belief.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Great post OP. I have one question though, the quote is taken from your post.

"But Spitzer will soon run out of the cryogens needed to keep its instruments cool, severely limiting its capabilities".

Isn't space cool enough to achieve what the cyogens achieve?

[edit on 27-1-2009 by prionace glauca]

new topics

top topics

join