It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shadow of vigilantes appears in Mexico drug war

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I’d like to say that I believe in vigilantism but I cannot fully say that.
I believe vigilantism is a powerful tool for justice but I would be the only one I would trust, and even after awhile I think I would question myself, there’s the problem.

The situation in Juarez I whole heartedly believe to be a good movement, after all these cartels laugh in the face of the city, state and federal authority of Mexico by killing their police and military. At this point it is the duty of the masses to set the minority straight.

As far as the vigilantes at the border keeping the immigrants and cartels out, once again it is warranted. If the US Gubbmment can not keep its borders secure then it falls to the people to protect themselves.
The only real problem with vigilantism is individuals are the Judge, Jury and Executioner; it is terribly hard to stay partisan when you are all three. Many or some innocents will be punished while being innocent but I guess no system is perfect.
I do see the US becoming the next Mexico however, no real true law enforcement crooked officials Etc. it is only getting worse.
Oh well we will either survive or we will not.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

I would partially agree with you if we were just talking about weed, but we are not.
They deal in other more powerful drugs also.
Heck most weed in the US comes from the US we grow it better thanks to hydroponics.
But the other drugs can kill a lot quicker than even alcohol can.
I have never heard of anyone overdosing on weed, a lot of Twinkies have been slain in the name of weed consumption though.
Now for the big one, weed will NEVER be legalized in the US because anyone can grow it and would grow it. But as long as the crooked officials can make money off of illegal sales they have no incentive to legalize it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
That is awesome? It's kinda like the League of Shadows from Batman... It's nice to see somebody in Mexico stepping up to the plate, while their Government doesn't seem to be dealing with the problem and simply exports their problems here.

A problem occurs when such a group is not regulated by anyone, where it is not accountable to anyone and therefore puts anyone it deems a criminal on trial promptly followed by a summary execution. It only invites chaos. It seems the Mexican government's efforts to aggressively pursue these drug cartels has resulted in very moderate success. However, the cartels simply acclimatise to the Mexican Army's presence and patrols by altering their drug-trafficking routes. I will remind you that this drug epidemic isn't simply Mexico's problem but the problem of America too. See the cartels or their agents/operatives across the U.S border sell their drugs for a large volume of cash. As there's considerable demand for the drugs that are produced in Mexico. As these operatives are well financed they are then easily able to legally procure large numbers of firearms and munitions since there's a great abundance of firearms you have.

A successful and prosperous free state must have a fully functioning judiciary system in addition to effective law enforcement. It's why a country such as America is more stable because it is democratic, there is accountability and affairs aren't run by a bunch of thugs who exercise their own brand of justice where they deem fit. There's a reason why we operate law courts, have law enforcement and utilise a professional armed force. They are answerable to a much higher code of contact and authority than any gang. Surely we should aspire to live by such a model than believing in roving gangs that have no such mandate?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neaux
gangs don't obey the law.

neither does Obama ..... !!!!!!!
or ICE would have the illegals
out the door and our border
would be secure.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
This is very interesting. The drug syndicates in and around Ciudad Juarez (and Mexico in its entirety) have faced no real opposition, and have flourished as a result. I cannot imagine living in that area--Ciudad Juarez has become a hell on earth. I've wondered about the absence of a civilian force to confront this, and I suppose they've finally had enough. Let's hope this is effective in undermining the drug lords and their associates.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Gun Control.

The citizens of Juarez and all along the border(including Mexico's southern border) are powerless to stop these people. The have no means of defending themselves from a group this well armed and trained. Don't expect this to be a trend.

I suspect these "vigilantes" are similar to Los Pepes that were backed by Delta Force in the Pablo Escobar saga.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by projectvxn]

[edit on 22-6-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

Never forget. When a vigilante has finished his goal, he moves onto the next criminal power. This eventually leads to the government itself.

We are in dangerous waters.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

you're missing my point.
it has nothing to do with the drugs or the drug users.

the very worst thing that happens in these kinds of wars/conflicts/riots, whatever, is that innocent people lose their lives for no reason.

people that neither sell drugs or use drugs - maybe someone they love is one or the other or both - but we can't always help who we love, especially when they are family...

but because it is illegal to sell these drugs, and they are very sought after, it is HIGHLY PROFITABLE for many involved, often including law *enforcement*.

i mean ridiculously profitable - worth more to most than human life.

there is no way to change that
that is the way people are and the way the world is.

trying to fight things that we cannot change - such as human nature - increasing the aggressiveness and force with which we try to bend things that don't bend, is not any better than that which we try to fight.

it doesn't make anyone a better person, not really in the ways that really count.
it doesn't solve anyone's problems and it doesn't fix anyone's addiction
it sure the hell doesn't save lives!
it doesn't create order and peace in society - it just turns it into a constantly almost-boiling cauldron of bad news.

death
loss
futility

the only way to overcome these things is to quit fighting against ideas and people in order to try to make tranquility and safety.

the modern institution of *law* is failing in multiple ways, all over the world.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

the modern institution of *law* is failing in multiple ways, all over the world.

Law only fails when it is not upheld or enforced.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join