It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Questions for Those Who Believe in God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There are many things about your beliefs that I (an atheist, obviously) don't understand and I have some hard questions that I would love to be answered in an intelligent and non-argumentative way. I'll gladly do the same for you if you have any questions for me.

Are all members of other faiths bad? Are they all damned to Hell?

Why, if your religion is the true religion, did it borrow its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions?

Why don't animals go to heaven or hell when they die? What makes us so special?

Before Jesus died so that we could go to heaven, where did people go when they died?

Explain how the Bible is a reliable guide to Christ's teachings.

Explain why prayer is OK in your religion, while spell casting is not in the occult religions, when both amount to the same thing: requesting that a superior supernatural force intercede in a way that would be impossible according to the normally accepted laws of physics.

Why are there so many wars and murders in God's name? Isn't that against everything the religion stands for?

If God is omnipotent, then why is he unable to prevent evil? If he is able, but not willing, doesn't this make him malevolent?

If your god is all-knowing, all-powerful, perfect, and finally if he actually exists, why are there so many questions? Why is there so much evidence to the contrary?

10 Morals Atheism Gives me

101 Contradictions in the Bible

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think animals do go to heaven, and what is special about us is that we have the holy spirit within us that God gave us when he created us!

Prayer is so different from spell casting because spell casting is the opposite of God and not from him, he wants us to come to Him in times of trouble and doubt and ask Him for help and doesn't want us to go for help from someone of something else, our God is a jealous God!

We cannot even come close to realize why God does the things He does or lets happens, but we have to believe what happens is part of what He has planned for this world or us, we have to have faith even though sometimes its very hard!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I will give you MY personal thoughts on some of these questions that I feel I am able to answer.
Firstly, I can not say that any one, regardless of faith is bad or not. I can't see what is inside and as a christian am taught not to judge others. I do believe that animals go to heaven.
I think there are alot of things such as killing entire tribes of people, that are attributed to God, when in fact He had nothing to do with it. I think it is mans way of justifying his actions.
Lastly, in everything there is a balance, and if you think about it, evil is brought on by the actions of man. That I believe ties in with free will.
These are my personal beliefs, and I am sure that you will get better answers, but I hope it helps if only a little bit! Take care

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This will help even though its kinda silly and funny..
www.youtube.com...

also, just google some different stuff about NDE with atheists and you will get some answers too..
just please understand that God is real and ask Jesus into your heart as your Lord and Savior and ask Him to forgive you of your sins!

John 3:16
one of the most popular versus in the Bible!
read it!
and Im sure if you have a Bible you will stumble across many other versus that will help and open you eyes!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
If you ask a "Christian" why they believe in "God" for instance you will likely get many answers and many similar depending on a persons upbringing, the chuch they belong to and how deeply they are involved in its teachings and ideologies. Some will throw alot of scripture at you which will just deepen the argument.

Jesus tells us "I chose you, you did not choose Me". "I stood at the door and knocked". This is what I believe.

You can live your life outside of God as the worst type of person and one day Jesus comes into your world and says hey "you're gonna know Me" There is no way around it and it does not and is not meant to happen for all.

Basically if you are meant to know Jesus then you will, If you are not then you will not. It is a step you must take to accept that which you cannot see and if you are meant to take that step then you will.

I personally accepted Christ without having first read the Bible. As far as the Bible goes I find that, things that I need to know from it come to me at a time when I need to know them (Through different means, something someone says, conversation, actually reading scripture etc.)

The most profound times are when you find yourself in Gods service doing something for someone else that had to be done only by you - yes destiny (We sometimes are the fulfillment of Gods promise to insure that we are never alone, and we will always have that which we require)

But thats just me - thanks for asking.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Total Reality

Hello,

No, not in my opinion.

Why, if your religion is the true religion, did it borrow its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions?

It could be debatable by other religions if my religion is the true one or not,
but otherwise, from my studies I see that each religion is founded on a previous religion. For instance, Buddhism sprang out of Hinduism, Baha'i came out of Islam and of Christianity from Judaism.

I prefer to think they do. Though it seems every religion says they don't.

Before Jesus died so that we could go to heaven, where did people go when they died?

Depends.

For me they hold true to what has been (my fortune or misfortune however you wish to view it) revealed to me.

Explain why prayer is OK in your religion, while spell casting is not in the occult religions, when both amount to the same thing: requesting that a superior supernatural force intercede in a way that would be impossible according to the normally accepted laws of physics.

Without going into physics, my understanding is that prayer is supposed to include that God's will be done, and that spell casting is "my" will be done. If there is God that knows best... well it stands to reason that the "my" will may not know all the variables.

Why are there so many wars and murders in God's name? Isn't that against everything the religion stands for?

Yes, religion is against that, imo. Why is it done? Power hungry people (with the "my" will) will use anything that will influence others by manipulating emotions.

If God is omnipotent, then why is he unable to prevent evil? If he is able, but not willing, doesn't this make him malevolent?

Evil is not real. Soon as we stop participating in it, we become real... or as it might be better be understood... God does not see evil, if no evil is within us he/she/it sees us.

It is up to us to prevent evil. This is our world afterall and the change begins with us each individually and stamping out evil isn't done by eliminating those who might be engaging in what another may consider sin/evil, etc. Stamping out evil is accomplished by eliminating it within us.

If your god is all-knowing, all-powerful, perfect, and finally if he actually exists, why are there so many questions? Why is there so much evidence to the contrary?

Anything worthwhile attaining is generally difficult to attain.

I like what whoever it was who said: Either everything is a miracle or nothing is. Something to that effect anyway.

The evidence isn't out there somewhere to find. The evidence is within you. Look within to find. It is no where else. And, once you find it there will be no proof to prove it either way, except maybe in a change of heart about certain things.

All this is my opinion and may or may not line up with any dogma or doctrine that anyone may think my religion is.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
God is a spirit for one thing. The holy bible, old testament and new testament, was inpired by God through the holy spirit, and interpreted by man and then printed by man in his (or her) language. The Koran as well. No dragon breathed fire and carved two stones and no fairy with a magic wand flew down and made words appear on a board. God, a supreme being , from which the universe and all it's physical natural properties was manifested, does not normally go defying the laws of nature in order to answer prayers or inspire prayerful followers.
Yes, the holy spirit is a state of mind, but not just a plain state of mind and is also more than we know of. All the prayers that were answered for me were coincidences but not just coincidences. Or lets say, to man kind ,they were coincedences , but not to God. The Lord worked through nature when the Lord answerd my prayers, not against nature. The Lord is still above nature and the creator and master of nature. I don't really beleive that things that were written in the openning of the Old testament all happenned exactly in the physical way that they were described. But we are still God's creation and design. And I have a hinch that there really is no argument between that of "Creationism" and that of "Evolutionism" for I think that Evolution Is Creation. The "Big Bang" theory of the beggining of the universe, to me, does not contradict the bible, neither does the existance of dinasoars. One day, people will try to use the number of craters on the moon as an excuse to argue about the valididity of the bible.
A lot of people (christians) tend to look at the bible as the all supremem infallable system of the universe and life and seem to forget about the God and force behind the bible. If it wasnt for the power of the holy spirit, and for faith, the bible would have not been.
There was an earth quake when the stone was rolled away from the tomb when God needed to show the people that Jesus was not in the tomb. And an earthquake occured when the veil of the temple was ripped in two, as the foundation of the church had to be moved in such a way for it to happen. And the prophesy was fullfilled.
God certainly can work through nature as well as outside of nature. God does have certain objectives in the universe and resultantly answers certain prayers more in direst favor than other prayers, it's not just some kind of "place your order and wait" situation.
And just as human entities need to be understood and loved by others from their own free will, God needs us to understand and love and God out of our total free will. When thee is the possibility of sin in the universe, things can really fo wrong, but God, by God's own purpose and will, can not and will not force us to love and follow God. It has to be a free will thing. That is why all this trounle in the universe has to happen. All of us that go out of our way to understand God and call on God out of sincere hearts will soon learn more of God and realise how following God is the right thing to do. And eventually we will have more and more the natural free will to want to follow God and do what is in the manner and nature of God. (Not sinning to make it simple) Since I started sincerely turning to God, I enjoy life sober more that I did with all the booze and dope that I was so often on, for example. Things seem to happen at the right time. I have better understanding.
Since we are sinners and sin does separate us from God, we all have lack of understanding of God. That is why we all have trouble beleiving and also understanding the bible or understanding how beleives talk. It takes an out going faith to get going toward the Lord. It does not require any direst defyance of common sence or nature. Do what you can do with in your own and leave the rest to God.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Total Reality...I think maybe your answers are hidden in your name?

Hey, thank you so much for the link to the 101 contradictions….as a long-time follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, I’ve been looking for an ORGANIZED rebuttal, that challenges me to learn more and clearly understand the rationale for NOT believing which to me is short-sighted…I talk to Christ everyday, have for 35 yrs…I thank you for helping me be organized in addressing typical questions of error in the Bible….I will make it my effort to answer each of these over the next few months…

Now to your questions…

“Bad” ?? That’s a elementary word…do you mean sinful…yes everyone, including me is!

Irrelevant if it true!

Again, somewhat silly…does the Bible say they don’t?

The old testament version of heaven I guess…maybe things improved in the NT…kinda like renovating…I dunno?

Easy…if God is real? If He’s all powerful?If God wants to communicate a message? Couldn’t He preserve that message?

There is good and there is evil….both are powerful! Look at the lives of those that honor good and evil in 30 yrs…look at the fruit of their lives…that will answer your question.

Evil/Satan/bad people!!!! Not God! Simple…

Looking at it in the PRESENT…? Looking at it from YOUR vantage point? Put a little time on everything…and don’t believe every thing you read…

Without faith it is impossible to please HIM….answers are there…just look (over time)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I apologise for all the mis-spelled words. I hope you could understand it. I need to learn to look at the screen and take my eyes off the keyboard.
I definately agree with the post where someone said that with prayer, it's for God's will and with spells , it's one's own will. Yep. And throw in the fact that we are sinners and you see why things go wrong.
And to add something, greed, (yes that is of one's own will) things can become troublesome. Wars of many have been caused due to greed and not the religions which actually do cindemn greed. Yes there is a big difference between "God's will be done" and "My will be done".
If and when God's will lives in us all, we can freely love, understand, worship and follow God and freely love and accompany each other. And friends will be real friends, not back stabbers and all that jass. We wont be slaves to our own desires, we will be able to be content and enjoy things with out having to want more and more and more. It is paradoxical to us but to really take on the will of God is when freedom can start to really live in us. At first it will seem like I got to give this up got to give that up. Next year it's like I dont care for those things now, I care for these instead and it works out so much better! (Voice of experience)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I am going to try to answer your questions. Let me first start off by saying that part of the whole God/Jesus puzzle if you will is faith.
Faith by definition is: A belief and trust in and loyalty to God (1): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion (2): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (3): complete trust, something that is believed especially with strong conviction. With this being said lets start with a clean slate, pretend if you can to wipe away everything you have ever been taught about God, Jesus, The Holy Ghost and the Bible. Know (If for just a moment) that what you have been taught has been a complete and utter lie. No your parents nor your pastor/priest/rabbi ect. did not lie to you on purpose but they have been deceived by the master manipulator Lucifer. Now with that knowledge like the bible said come to God as a child. Pretend that this is the first time you have ever had your questions answered. Bare with me here if it is the truth you seek you will surely find. Now remember if you think you already know the answer to these questions then you have already shut the door to divine knowledge. So if you are ready take a deep breath and open your mind.

Are all members of other faiths bad? No, there is but one Church and that is Gods’ Church. God’s Church is made up of his true believers. God will at some point pardon the ignorant because he knows Lucifer is a master manipulator and that people who earnestly think they are worshiping God will have a chance to be baptized into Gods Church. All denominations in our world today have kept bits and pieces of the truth but not one of them is whole or complete.
Are they all damned to Hell? No in the Bible we are taught that Lucifer was cast down. Hell is not mentioned that many times in the Bible. Where is down? The earth. When Adam and Eve where punished for eating the forbidden apple what was there punishment? Death not Hell.

Why, if your religion is the true religion, did it borrow its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions? There is only one right belief; all others are man made denominations. The true people of God are very few; there are very few true believers today mostly because Lucifer has perverted the truth to the point that it is unrecognizable as well as to most today unbelievable. Remember truth is stranger than fiction, this saying holds true. God’s true followers do not borrow from anyone. Their calendar is the Biblical calendar that God laid out for us. In God’s time a new month begins with a new moon. The excepted calendar used today was borrowed from pagan beliefs that ran deep in Rome when the acceptable calendar was invented by mere men. The catholic belief also played a huge role in perverting God’s truth.
Why don't animals go to heaven or hell when they die? What makes us so special? The Bible to my knowledge does not say anything about animals going to heaven. Animals do not have the breath of God in them (the soul) but God did create the animals. God first made the celestial world then our world and filled it with animals to serve man. We are special because God said so. He created us to be special; it is all part of his plan.

Before Jesus died so that we could go to heaven, where did people go when they died? God was then as he is now, he never changed we did. So people went then where they go now. When people die their soul does not ascend to heaven. We rest until Judgment Day when Jesus Christ comes back to claim his world and set up God’s government.

Explain how the Bible is a reliable guide to Christ's teachings? Faith, God does not need to prove anything to you or any other man. You will get proof when Jesus returns and you either witness it or you will be risen from the dead.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Explain why prayer is OK in your religion, while spell casting is not in the occult religions, when both amount to the same thing: requesting that a superior supernatural force intercede in a way that would be impossible according to the normally accepted laws of physics? Ok lets start with prayer, we are not to pray to God for selfish things The lords prayer is: Thy father which art in heaven hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, thank you for this day our daily bread, forgive us of our trespasses as we forgive others of their trespasses against us, lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for thy kingdom is the power and the glory forever Amen. We are not to ask for that shiny new car. The Bible tells us that God provides for they birds of the sky and he will provide for us because we are his children. We are to trust God to provide, and he also knows what we need before we ask so there isn’t a need to ask it would only be in vain. Aw physics LOL. The easiest way for me to describe this is that: (and I have said this before) Knowledge of the world but ignorance of God is like a flashlight without batteries. This will not make sense until you open yourself up to the truth and you study.
Why are there so many wars and murders in God's name? Isn't that against everything the religion stands for? Why these wars are fought are more for peoples greed than for in God’s name. Lucifer is the king of the world until Jesus returns so evil will prevail under Lucifer. God is not allowing these wars Lucifer is and we are because we do not follow Gods law. Thou shalt not kill remember?

If God is omnipotent, then why is he unable to prevent evil? If he is able, but not willing, doesn't this make him malevolent? Oh, God can and will prevent evil, God made us in his image and he wanted us to have free will to chose him or not. To force someone to love him would be well ungodly right. Jesus will return and the angle Michael will chain Lucifer up for a period of 1000 years. In the world under God’s government there will be no evil.

If your god is all-knowing, all-powerful, perfect, and finally if he actually exists, why are there so many questions? Why is there so much evidence to the contrary? Lucifer, Lucifer, Lucifer is the master manipulator. Once you have opened up and you see the truth everything will make perfect, complete and utter sense. There are no contradictions in the Bible. The only contradiction is Lucifer and the poor deceived man.

I would be glad to answer any more questions you may have

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
God knows what tomorrow will be like and what next century will be like. God allready knew that Jesus Christ (whom God sent) was going to finally bravely out for God's will over Jesus's own will and offer himself as a sacrifice for everybody's sins.
It is in God's power as to where we go after we kick the bucket, it aint up to us. There is no map and one cannot charter a bus or a plane to Heaven. The jews in the Old testament were FORGIVEN by God and they had ACCEPTED God as their God. Allrighty now. The same applies to christians and muslims.
We speak in different languages than animals do. There is no telling that animals dont go somewhere after they die as well as us human gigs do. Good day. God bless. READ PRAY GO TO CHURCHES GIVE IT MORE TIME

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just chiming in here - I believe in God and so do millions, perhaps billions of people, but there are probably thousands of varying views. Just to keep this short my beliefs do not match the questions you pose to "believers."

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
When Jesus comes and chaines Satan up and throws Satan into the pit for a thousand years, it may well not be in that exact physical manner as it is printed in the bible. But yes, God will return at the select time. And there should be peace for a long time and then there will again be temptations or "stumbling blocks". A test of our free will. Yes as another person also allready stated on this thread, God does not force people to follow, othher wise it aint love and it aint accopaniment and it aint friendship and it aint freedom. A thousand years, maybe not exactly, but it should be a duration. I have prayed a lot and have recently managed to make the decision to really turn my ways to the Lord and I still aint perfect but things are a changing and I am reall glad! And let me tell you man, God is real! Sometimes the problem is getting the will to make the decisions to turn to God. And the devil wants us to be scared to do so. I say jihad right through that fear! And praise the Lord! Amen.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Dear defendant,
No one human is perfect. The only perfect human to walk the earth was Jesus. So hang in there.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
And it really does take time to understand what the bible is actually conveying and how those things apply and so forth. Sometimes it may be hard to find the right words in any given language to really convey the meaning that need be conveyed. And due to all that added to our lack of realistic understanding of God, yes the bible, to OUR VIEW POINT contradicts itself but after a lot of prayer and sincere seeking of God, when God enlightens you and reveals to you, you can then understand how the bible was written and understand the meaning that was meant to be conveyed from the origin. And also, the "gospels" was Jesus talking. The epistles were apostles writing to other followers. It aint all God talking straight to us. You may want to go talk to various preachers about that. Let them know you aint necessarily ready to join their church incase you are afraid of pressure of invitation to immediately join.
Oh, if God start to live in you, you may well find your own desire to run to church on Sunday morning.
It's getting late. I hope you find your way. God bless.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Thank you Mellisa. Nope no one's batted a thousand in this galaxy. It's gettin late and I got to crash. I hope the OP finds God. That is the smartest thing anybody in the universe can do.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Last late late post script: Bible revealed through the spirit! Prayer and over time, understanding.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
All legitimate questions coming from an Atheist, here are my answers, most from the bible

No & No.
There is no burning forever hellfire, that is false doctrine designed by Christendom's old clergy to scare people.
Romans 6:7 (Contemporary English Version)
7We know that sin doesn't have power over dead people.
or
Romans 6:7 (Darby Translation)
7For he that has died is justified from sin.

And for those that have strong beliefs, but are just wrong this scripture applies
Romans 10:2
2I bear them witness that they have a [certain] zeal and enthusiasm for God, but it is not enlightened and according to [correct and vital] knowledge.

I try and avoid them or don't practice them, some have pagan roots for sure.

Here is the difference animals and humans go to the same place, however humans get to be resurrected later on, animals are gone for good.
Ecclesiastes 3: 18&19
18 I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal.

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
5For the living know that they shall die; but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.
6Their love also, and their hatred, and their envy is already perished; neither have they any more for ever a portion in all that is done under the sun

And then after according to God's timetable the resurrection.

John 5:28-29
28Wonder not at this, for an hour is coming in which all who are in the tombs shall hear his voice,
29and shall go forth; those that have practised good, to resurrection of life, and those that have done evil, to resurrection of judgment.

Acts 24:15
15Having [the same] hope in God which these themselves hold and look for, that there is to be a resurrection both of the righteous and the unrighteous (the just and the unjust).

See answer to above & they ceased to to exist except within God's memory.
Their souls actually died.
Ezekiel 18:4 & 20A
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
20The soul that sins, it [is the one that] shall die.

Not sure if you ever read the bible or the gospels, but it is very clear to me.
The best one is this
Matthew 22:36-40 (Amplified Bible)
36Teacher, which kind of commandment is great and important (the principal kind) in the Law? [Some commandments are light--which are heavy?]
37And He replied to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (intellect).
38This is the great (most important, principal) and first commandment.
39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as [you do] yourself.
40These two commandments sum up and upon them depend all the Law and the Prophets.

Ok fair enough, but one is requesting the help of the good spirits(God, Jesus, Angels) the other is asking help from the evil spirits (Satan & his demons)
Prayer also access's God's Holy Spirit, which helps a person defend his faith.
Besides the bible tells us to prey with the model prayer.
Matthew 6:9-13 (New International Version)
9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

Very good question. The blunt answer is they do not represent God, it is a false Christianity. However there were wars sanctioned by God in the old testament. After Jesus came no wars were endorsed by God
Matthew 26:52 (New American Standard Bible)
52Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for (A)all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

Another good question, one that I struggled with for many years, however God does things his way according to his purpose, also time is relative to his existence which is eternal.

2 Peter 3:8 (The Message)
8-9Don't overlook the obvious here, friends. With God, one day is as good as a thousand years, a thousand years as a day. God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn't want anyone lost. He's giving everyone space and time to change.

So on God's timetable we are at about six days into this problem, he told us he would clean it up by the end of "HIS" week which is seven days.
If Obama came out and said he was going to clean up all of America's problems in a week and then did it, people would be thrilled and really happy. Our problem is we want to see it fixed with our short human lifespan, which God is not bound to.

In a word "Satan", he has the perfect scheme set up to discredit religion & God with evil from within, but it allows people to have a false spirituality. And
bogus science for those that don't want to believe.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

So this post isn't really about an athiest vs a diest. You're railing agianst organized religion.

I believe in god but do not believe in the bible, christianity, islam etc. I believe god either created the universe or caused the big bang that did etc etc.

It's an insult for someone to group anyone that believes in god in with the christians or the muslims. I don't hate and act superior like the christians and I don't kill children in suicide bombings like the muslims. Not to leave the Jews out ..all three of those faiths come from the old testament and are the religions of Abraham.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join