It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Plague killing al-Qaida terrorists

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
My first inclination was "race specific bio-weapon" There are many post available on this topic for your perusal so I wont litter this with them.

In fact, Cheney is reported to be a magor proponent of them. things that make you go Hmmm...

Of course the timing can be chalked up to another of the thousand or so coincidences surrounding this administration. Interesting to say the least, or perhaps just "Rats with Fleas" We may never know.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Maybe...Nato countries have been using chemtrails for good? Maybe all of the wester countrie's citizens are immune and the NWO(Aka Nato), are using this to exterminate everyone except those in Developed nations? It might be a good thing I'm an american after all, but its still a crime and I would stop it If i could

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Southern New Mexico will still get a handfull of plague cases per year. Granted, it is almost always caught at the hospital and I can't recall hearing of any deaths, but that really doesn't mean much. Al Qaida lives in caves. I'd bet good money that their caves and their encampments are crawling with rodents. Rodents carry fleas, fleas carry the plague, seems like a simple connection.

Also, viruses mutate in those conditions. Look at another New Mexico product, the Hanta Virus. That came directly off the reservation and was spread to humans by rats & mice living in their adobe homes & kivas. For a while there the news in NM was reporting that the CDC was unsure whether the disease was a mutated form of the plague. Later they isolated it and determined it actually came directly from the rodents and was from their feces & urine drying, and then passing the virus airborne inside the homes in dust.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hate to douse this party...

Notice where the deaths were... Algeria.

Algeria has had a problem with the plague for at least the past 5 years.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I think this is more likely the result of probable poor sanitary and hygiene conditions within the training camps... which was also eluded to in the article in the OP.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
According to the latest reports they are dismissing claims that it is Bubonic Plague.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Kdial1

[edit on 20-1-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Not yet

Is plague still a killer?

Reports that "black death" has swept through an al-Qaeda camp in north Africa, killing dozens of trainees, are unproven, but the story highlights how plague has never been wiped out.

BBC Article

[edit on 20-1-2009 by becomingaware]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Rage virus, anyone?

all kidding aside, it's only a matter of time before it spreads to the poor villages around it and eventually the world

I don't think these terrorists (freedom fighters to others) were dirty (During the plague during the Middle ages people in Europe reportedly only took a bath once a year, if you can believe that), I just don't see it.

I suspect a weaponized strain of bubonic plague. I think they died too quickly.

Perhaps this is the crisis Joe Biden was talking about... In a few days this virus could be in every corner of the world.

Sorry, but odds that you will be a zombie rather than a zombie-hunter are extreme.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by star in a jar]

OK, time for a fact break (good post, though... ):

- Yersinia pestis, the bacterium (not virus) which causes plague, can be knocked down with antibiotic therapy.

- the pneumonic form of the plague is the one which spreads most quickly; the other two forms wouldn't spread so quickly as to be in every corner of Earth (as SARS was).

Without more facts, it's hard to say. It's sure tempting to conclude that Al-Qaeda got their hands on some Y. pestis and were experimenting with it.

If their bio-war outfit is as sophisticated as the guys who were in charge of their nuclear program (who had printouts of the gag article "How to Make an Atom Bomb" in their office in Afghanistan), it's possible that they started cooking before they had any sort of biocontainment area up, or perhaps figured that reading "The Cobra Event" was a good way to prepare for the task of building a level three biosafety lab. Or maybe they figured Allah would keep them alive long enough to infect us infidels.

Of course, the Soviets had developed antibiotic-resistant strains of plague, and 4,000 scientists with the necessary knowledge of how to culture and grow special strains of these bugs went unemployed after Yeltsin shut Biopreparat down (after two high-level managers from Biopreparat defected and spilled their guts to Western intellgence agencies). Some of these people could have walked out of their labs with a few cultures of the good stuff.

Let's hope that this bug is the good old-fashioned, non-resistant strain.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
The article said it kills within hours? How is that possible? I don't know of any virus, plague, outbreak that kills with a gestational period of a few hours. Could this story be psyops or new bioweapon. Scary!

If it really is plague, the pneumonic form spreads quickly but only produces symptoms after a day or so (fast enough for me, let me tell you).

www.doh.wa.gov...

"How is pneumonic plague spread? What are the symptoms?

Pneumonic plague occurs when the Y. pestis bacterium is inhaled. The disease may be spread through face-to-face contact when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Because it enters the body by being inhaled, pneumonic plague could be spread intentionally if the bacteria were put into aerosol form.

The symptoms of pneumonic plague begin one to four days after exposure to the bacteria. The symptoms include fever, headache, weakness and a bloody or watery cough due to infection of the lungs (pneumonia). The pneumonia rapidly becomes worse and — without early treatment — it can be fatal. "

Now, inhalational anthrax is quicker... it doesn't spread readily from person to person, but as we know from the postal anthrax attacks of 2001, the spores can cause anthrax rapidly if breathed in (the spores come from dead animals, hides of infected animals, bone dust from infected animals... ), but in the postal case, we now know that it was a renegade biological warfare scientist from the Army lab at Ft. Detrick MD who mailed weaponized anthrax around.

But in neither case is death within hours likely. Death within days is still plenty fast for me. :-)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

www.telegraph.co.uk... tml

www.foxnews.com...

Two news outlets quote different primary sources to support the idea that Al-Qaeda was playing around with plague as a biological weapon and lost biocontainment.

Of course, this assumes they bothered to try to contain the plague while working on it... which may be optimistic (from the Al-Q standpoint).

The Washington Times article (quoted by Fox News):

"An Al Qaeda affiliate in Algeria closed a base earlier this month after an experiment with unconventional weapons went awry, a senior U.S. intelligence official said Monday.

The official, who spoke on the condition he not be named because of the sensitive nature of the issue, said he could not confirm press reports that the accident killed at least 40 Al Qaeda operatives, but he said the mishap led the militant group to shut down a base in the mountains of Tizi Ouzou province in eastern Algeria.

He said authorities in the first week of January intercepted an urgent communication between the leadership of Al Qaeda in the Land of the Maghreb (AQIM) and Al Qaeda's leadership in the tribal region of Pakistan on the border with Afghanistan. The communication suggested that an area sealed to prevent leakage of a biological or chemical substance had been breached, according to the official."

While you can theoretically culture plague with minimal precautions, those precautions MUST be followed strictly - no eating or drinking in the work area, always glove and mask up, strictly separate your work area from everything else. And ANY slip up in following those precautions can be lethal. Fort Detrick used to lose someone every few years to agents like plague, even after they went over from being an offensive biolab to being a biological defense lab.

Let's just hope they had some visitors from the home office before everyone got sick... but AFTER their bugs got loose.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
hmmm But I though Allah loves al qaeda

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Though this very well could be a race specific bioweapon. My search results have revealed that this news has already become the source of Religious propoganda.

Many of the articles I have come across are comparing this plague to the wrath of GOD as if to say that GOD favors the Christian community as opposed to the Muslims.

That being said, somehwere during the war on terror, it went from al-queda to the entire muslim world who are now seen by the west to be labeled as terrorists.

This plague has no preference and nobody is safe from it, unless of course it is race specific.

To this day I have yet to see any evidence that Al- Queda in fact even exists.

However I can already tell this will promote war amongst the religious community shall this plague go public. It would be compared to the Wrath of God as biblical prophecy has coined it and lead into an all out offensive against the Muslim world. However this plague has no religious preference.

This possible scenario would be followed by quarantines and massive slaughters amongst both the muslim and christian communities.

IMO this looks more like a man made bioweapon than anything, this could be very well creditied to Al-Queda but does that mean that it was in fact Al-Queda who was messing around with it?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm a biologist. This is of no concern to anyone not living in the ass¢rack of the world. Y. pestis is still around. To my knowledge it hasn't been weaponized. Bubonic is no big deal at all. Pneumonic is a little more of a concern. Either way if you're within reach of a hospital or even a pet/farm supply store w/ livestock (or aquarium) antibiotics- no biggie. Then there's also the fact that many of European ancestry carry genetic resistance (because the folks with no resistance croaked and didn't reproduce)...
Don't Panic.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If i was going to use a bio-weapon on al Qaeda it would be coccidioidomycosis.

It a nice desert fungus that is inhaled.

Just dust any caves they use for hideouts and if they inhale enough of this fungus dust they would get mighty sick.

But since the fungus is only found in very few places like the US desert southwest it would be very unlikely they would find any doctor that could treat it.

Plus it works over months so in many cases AL qaeda would never know what was getting them.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If this is true, and the terrorists themselves are now biological weapons as they might be infected with plague, then why aren't they splitting up and travelling to target cities? All they have to do is mix in with the population. Pretty scary thought, actually.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I would think that this is not a race specific bio weapon but more less a income specific bio weapon and the anthrax scares post 9/11 could have very well served as a test run.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There was a post 9/11 sundance release of a film called "Right at Your Door". This film depicted a scenario in which a dirty bomb detonated in Los Angeles in an event very similar to 9/11. This movie went on I believe over a period of 72 hours or so and effectively killed people just as fast.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Today (4 February), Algeria denied the presence of the bubonic plague in Algeria. News release accessed through Nexis this morning.

Agence France Presse -- English

February 4, 2009 Wednesday 8:45 AM GMT

Algeria, UN deny Qaeda plague reports

LENGTH: 157 words

DATELINE: ALGIERS, Feb 4 2009

Algeria has dismissed press reports that around 40 Al-Qaeda militants were killed by an outbreak of bubonic plague at a secret training camp in the country.

"No case of plague of any type has been recorded in any region of Algeria since 2003 in Oran," health ministry communication director Slim Belkessam told AFP on Tuesday.

Separately, the World Health Organisation (WHO) confirmed that it had received no reports of any case of "Black Death" in Algeria since 2003, when an isolated outbreak was promptly reported by the authorities.

Recent reports in British and US dailies had suggested that members of the North African Al-Qaeda offshoot, Al-Qaeda of the Islamic Maghreb, had been experimenting with plague to create a biological weapon.

Dozens of Islamist militants were reported to have died in the Tizi Ouzou region, 100 kilometres (60 miles) east of Algiers. Al-Qaeda denied the reports in a message on an Islamist website.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
If this is true, and the terrorists themselves are now biological weapons as they might be infected with plague, then why aren't they splitting up and travelling to target cities? All they have to do is mix in with the population. Pretty scary thought, actually.

Well you've just had that superbowl - I watched it and that was a massive crowd... And that dude in your avvie had big crowds at his inauguration... Both of those crowds would of come from all over the USA and even further, and what do they do after the event? Well go home of course.

Now if something were released or spread somehow that would be huge - I guess the only real way is to wait and see if symptoms show, you could already rule out a lot of stuff I would think because it's weeks since Obama and days since the superbowl - but it is a scary thought. I actually don't like the idea of being part of a crowd of any size now a days (never did really).

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I hope your wrong. Something like that at the superbowl would spread like wildfire. If the government insiders involved then consider the tactics one would use, visual spectacles (like 9/11) to make their presence known. I would think that should this thing be unleased to the public there would first be an event of some type.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by 12.21.12]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join