It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Plague killing al-Qaida terrorists

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Report: Plague killing al-Qaida terrorists

www.upi.com

ALGIERS, Algeria, Jan. 19 (UPI) -- Anti-terrorism leaders say a number of al-Qaida militants in training have been killed by the "black death, a plague that ravaged Europe in the Middle Ages.
At least 40 al-Qaida followers have died since the disease swept through a training camp in Algeria, The Sun reported Monday. The deaths became known when security forces found a body beside a road.

"This is the deadliest weapon yet in the war against terror. Most of the terrorists do not have the basic medical supplies needed to treat the disease," one security source told the British publication, although it wasn't reported how the deadly outbreak started. "It spreads quickly and kills within hours. This will be really worrying al-Qaida."

The victim was associated with al-Qaida in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb, the largest and most powerful al-Qaida group outside the Middle East, the Sun said.

Al-Qaida leaders said they fear the plague has spread to other cells or to Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

The epidemic began in the hideouts of the al-Qaida in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb in Algiers, sources told The Sun. The group fled to Bejaia and Jijel provinces.

The plague has several forms: Bubonic plague is spread by infected rat fleas and pneumonic plague is airborne bacteria spread similarly to flu.

Unlike the epidemic in 1665 when 30,000 Londoners died, world health officials said plague outbreaks now can be treated with antibiotics and deaths are rare.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The plague huh? Just a day or so before inauguration? Sounds too me me that whoever may have been messing around with the plague would have spread contamination.

I have been made aware of this a few moments ago when I was told by a friend. He told me that the US had found a camp in Iraq(?) where they had been preparing the plague, because there was an outbreak and some people died as a result.

Scary times. Looks like another one for the war on terror. Wonder how this will affect the current administration and the one we will be having after tomorrow?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-1-2009 by 12.21.12]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Rage virus, anyone?

all kidding aside, it's only a matter of time before it spreads to the poor villages around it and eventually the world

I don't think these terrorists (freedom fighters to others) were dirty (During the plague during the Middle ages people in Europe reportedly only took a bath once a year, if you can believe that), I just don't see it.

I suspect a weaponized strain of bubonic plague. I think they died too quickly.

Perhaps this is the crisis Joe Biden was talking about... In a few days this virus could be in every corner of the world.

Sorry, but odds that you will be a zombie rather than a zombie-hunter are extreme.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Rage virus, anyone?

all kidding aside, it's only a matter of time before it spreads to the poor villages around it and eventually the world

I don't think these terrorists (freedom fighters to others) were dirty (During the plague during the Middle ages people in Europe reportedly only took a bath once a year, if you can believe that), I just don't see it.

I suspect a weaponized strain of bubonic plague. I think they died too quickly.

Perhaps this is the crisis Joe Biden was talking about... In a few days this virus could be in every corner of the world.

Sorry, but odds that you will be a zombie rather than a zombie-hunter are extreme.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by star in a jar]

That's not a crisis for the west, we have a cure
, either a) the terrorist were messing around with chemical weapons, b) we spread it to see if it was psychologically effective or c) they are unclean...which is quite possible if terror camps don't have many women around.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

That's not a crisis for the west, we have a cure
, either a) the terrorist were messing around with chemical weapons, b) we spread it to see if it was psychologically effective or c) they are unclean...which is quite possible if terror camps don't have many women around.

d) or God just has a great sense of humor! He works in mysterious ways, you know.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well if the soldiers from america somehow become carriers and bring it here it could be quite a mess for us as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The article said it kills within hours? How is that possible? I don't know of any virus, plague, outbreak that kills with a gestational period of a few hours. Could this story be psyops or new bioweapon. Scary!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
While I haven't heard of any of the US Governments actions, it does seem that they are prepping for some sort of an emergency. Maybe this is it. I can't help but think the Bush administration would play this to their advantage somehow. Even so, whoever deals with it is going to be "tested".

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Probably the Rat borne version.

Anyhow some penicillin and its gone.

There is plague all around the world, all the time, and I have travelled a bit around North Africa though not Algeria, and it isn't that uncommon.

Just two words Al Qaeda and Plague put together for sensationalism, evoke a certain feeling.

In the United States, the last urban plague epidemic occurred in Los Angeles in 1924-25. Since then, human plague in the United States has occurred as mostly scattered cases in rural areas (an average of 10 to 15 persons each year). Globally, the World Health Organization reports 1,000 to 3,000 cases of plague every year. In North America, plague is found in certain animals and their fleas from the Pacific Coast to the Great Plains, and from southwestern Canada to Mexico. Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions: 1) northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado; and 2) California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada. Plague also exists in Africa, Asia, and South America (see map).

CDC

I think 3 months ago a man died in the mid west from it, from a dog. Not long ago anyhow, its somewhere in the US, and 200 odd miles from spain in North Africa always, already, so nothing new to really fear.

Elf.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

I'm thinking along the lines of a possible bio weapon. If I remember correctly it takes approximately one week for someone to die of bubonic plague untreated. If it is a bio weapon I just wonder if it's ours or theirs.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The Black Plague was supposedly caused by the locals sharing the living space with rats.

It was prior to most architecture being raised above the ground...

Supposedly, our 'modern' construction eliminates that most common disease vector.

This story doesn't really sound right.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Perhaps they are doing some preventative maintenence for things to come. "Al Queda" was already named for having the plague, so who else will people blame it on? Not the US Government. Reguardless if it spreads they may issue quarantines wherever it spreads.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The plague is spread by fleas, not rats. Fleas are very common creatures, and in countries like Algeria, well...you do the math. All it takes is for enough fleas to contract the plague, and the "plague population" would stabilize and spread. Simple pathogenic science. I must confess, however, my suprise that there has been so large an outbreak at this day and age. I was aware that the plague hadn't been eradicated, but since there hadn't been any real outbreaks for so long... I suppose though I hadn't considered it, it is well within the realm of possibility.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

hahaha..seems a little suspicious to me...but who cares as long as al qaida terrorists go down and not americans or anyone else!

why question something good

star and flag

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

The rats had fleas.

Kind of like a two fer.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is very strange how suddenly this happens around the inauguration of the new "savior" president! Gets me thinking, like after 9/11 we couldn't find these towheads menaces or their so called "WMD's!" Al-qaeda was almost invisible to us and couldn't be found in their little terrorist training camps or caves but all of sudden some little virus goes around and starts dropping them all!

hmmmmmmmmm..

Something is definitely not right about this at all!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Spainsh flu, or the pandemic of 1917-18 killed a great many people within a few hours. Soldiers would wake up feeling a few aches and pains, and within a few hours(often as few as eight hours) they would be dead from pulmonary edema.
Don't think it hasn't happened before. It Has.
Don't think It won't happen again. IT WILL!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Who, S&F, this is my teritory!

It is odd how the oldest dieases never turly die out.

Assuming that this is actually plague, as other have wondered.

An offhand thought I had was perhaps, given all the depleated uranium in the area, they are calling radiation the plague to cover that up, but that is probably not true.

Of course there is no way to ensure that it only strikes the terrorists, germs are meanlike that.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Can you imagine the psychological effects on the villages? They might start running al-Qaida militants out of town for fear that they might have Black Death.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

OK Yea But we are talking Bubonic Plague.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join