It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*New idea for streamlining ATS**Mouseover Preview**

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is just coming as an observer but I think that ATS would be more user friendly if we could use something like www.marketwatch.com uses for their latest news box.

For instance ATS could set it up so when you scroll over a thread title it shows a little excerpt of what is inside the thread from the author. Maybe like 300 words or so...

I know I have clicked on some threads that I wish I would not have, if there was a way to skim through much like www.marketwatch.com uses it would be very useful to ATS members.

Who is with me on this? If you have no idea what I am talking about check out what I am talking about at the above link. And scroll over some of the links in the latest news section.

Please flag to show your support

-Kdial1

[edit on 19-1-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
A mouseover preview? Yes, I would like this feature myself. One of my pet peeves is that everyone doesn't do the best job of giving meaningful titles to threads. That thread titled "OMG, this is crazy" could be about aliens or his grand mother's teeth. There's no way to know till you get there.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yep "Mouseover Preview" I didn't know what it was called so I typed out the long version. That would be such a huge help on these boards.

Please flag this to show your support.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'd be down for this...

But, only as long as it did not take away from anything else...the current set-up is pretty tight; but I abuse alcohol and drugs, so what do I know..?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I do not think it would take away from anything on these boards, it would make them more enjoyable to the members.

Just think how many times you have clicked on a thread and said "WTF" because the author had over exaggerated the thread title.

Many people abuse lots of things: Food, themselves, their eyes (from being on ATS too much) and I could go on and on. Escaping reality is the jist of it. Look at World of Warcraft, that has become so addicting for people there should be a warning label on it. Just because you abuse drugs and alcohol does not mean you do not know anything, it is just something you use to escape. Like anything that is abused it can be cured.

-Kdial1

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
ooooh, I could definately get behind that. That way I'll know right away if that bigfoot story I wanted to read is from somebody that sounds half intelligent or from a kid who filmed his dog running fast in the yard.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Sound idea.

I'd enjoy this option as well!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Keep in mind I'm not a computer expert but my understanding is that what you are asking for is achieved through _javascript. Well _javascript enables a lot of other stuff that many users find undesirable, such as all the double underlined advertising links that are imbedded in many websites' text copy. As a result many people chose to disable _javascript. This is not a major issue as all this would do is disable this ATS feature for them.

But _javascript also enables a lot of good features needed for seamless web browsing. The only problem I see is that for those who would prefer not to have this feature they would have to disable _javascript every time they came on the site. This would be rather inconvenient and affect any simultaneous browsing of other websites.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
I do not think it would take away from anything on these boards, it would make them more enjoyable to the members.

Just think how many times you have clicked on a thread and said "WTF" because the author had over exaggerated the thread title.

Many people abuse lots of things: Food, themselves, their eyes (from being on ATS too much) and I could go on and on. Escaping reality is the jist of it. Look at World of Warcraft, that has become so addicting for people there should be a warning label on it. Just because you abuse drugs and alcohol does not mean you do not know anything, it is just something you use to escape. Like anything that is abused it can be cured.

-Kdial1

I love you...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
We had this for a brief time a couple years ago... It's a java script and it opens the door to lots of potential security holes and it eats up lots of server work on the already HUGE data base that is AboveTopSecret.com, which in turn slows the site way down...

The issue is with over 6,000 new pieces of user generated content a day coming into the site the data base continues to grow and every single query we add to it reduces it's efficiency in loading onto your browser.

The additional db server load combined with the "holes" java opens up are the reasons we had to drop this feature. Heck, I LOVED it but alas, it was not meant to be.

All that being said, we do have plans for the fairly near future that include an infusion of capital for massive upgrades to the hardware and a dedicated data base GURU. We have many features we hope to add and one or two to possibly bring back so there may be hope for this down the road but that's my business partner, SkepticOverlord's call as he is the "Overlord" of ALL things technical with ATS.

Springer...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I find those scroll over previews annoying. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer having to click to see something.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I can see two faults in this, but there are also solutions to those.

If I was going through the Recent Posts page and a little window popped up whenever I scrolled over a link, I'd get annoyed. If this were to be done it'd have to be a link to open a preview box or a sidebar type thing on the side of the page that changes according to what the user is scrolling over.

The other is the fact that pages would load slowly for some people, so you'd need something like the 'Go Light/Go Dark' option where you could turn previews on or off.

Other than that I think it is a great idea, it'd help with some of the more cryptic (or in some cases stupid
) thread titles.

Roswell.

new topics

top topics

join