It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Quantum Physics Been Hijacked by New Agers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
There seems to be two very distinct and profound world views, or disciplines, that I have run across time and time again when talking to people interested in paranormal activity, spirituality, and alien life. The reason for there being two distinct views seems to be expressed quite beautifully in quantum physics, but every time it is brought up to a physicist, they roll their eyes. Why?

On one side of the coin we have the "particle" thinkers who truly enjoy breaking things apart, discovering how the universe's elements work as singular units, and tend to believe that everything is separate and distinct from everything else. They are the scientists. They are the technologists. They believe that there is a tiniest particle; they believe there is a largest object; they believe genes and biological functions rule and control the mind of man; they believe the universe is finite; and they believe consciousness itself is no more than a "meta-function" of all the other functions taking place in the body--when the body dies, so does the consciousness emanating from those organs.

On the other side of the coin, we have the "wave" thinkers who love to put things together, discover how the elements of the universe cannot exist without the other elements, and they tend to believe that there are no distinct entities that can survive without all the other parts. They are the spiritualist who want to help others and work together as teams. They believe there is no tiniest particle; they believe everything has a fractal representation that can expand upwards and downwards in size throughout infinity with each fractal connecting to every other fractal; they believe thought processes affect genes more so than the reverse; they believe the universe is infinite; and they believe this universe could never exist without the observer, so consciousness is not a "meta-function" at all--it is the core energy that enables particles themselves to exist within our galaxy and beyond, and when the body dies, that conscious energy, like a billiard ball or a black hole, moves on--into the quasar. Another mind?

When the particle thinkers talk to the wave thinkers, they feel the wave thinkers have their heads in the clouds. When wave thinkers talk to particle thinkers, they feel the particle thinkers have their heads buried in the sand. The particle thinkers point to technology as proof of their own "correct " thinking, whereas cults and superstition are proof to the "incorrect" thinking of the wave thinkers. The wave thinkers point to the human race working together to achieve great things as proof of "correct" thinking, and nuclear devices, war, and solitude created by the particle thinkers as proof of their "incorrect" thinking. Every man for himself! claims the particle thinkers. No many is an island! claims the wave thinkers.

According to quantum physics, electrons have both a particle and wave state. Only with "focus" of intent to find an electron at a particular location does the electron particularize. They say, however, that at a macro scale, this isn't applicable because the macro and the micro are separate and distinct--as they would
Wave thinkers say consciousness can affect things on a macro scale merely if enough intent from multiple people is applied. This has appeal to "paranormal" enthusiasts, obviously, because it opens up that doorway required for the fantastic to become science fact...e.g. the "hard coding" of the fantastic into measurable objects.

I personally feel that the external universe is a reflection of the internal. So the reason we see black holes and quasars is because we have a corpus callosum connecting our mental disciplines. All of this stuff makes perfect sense to me, but time and time again, I get a science enthusiast, whether that be a physicist or otherwise, laughing and saying I have no idea what I'm talking about. So what is it that I don't understand? Why is this crazy? Explain, or chime in please

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think all religions try and use science to fit their world view. From Christians saying people lived under a canopy of water that increased the atmospheric pressure and extended life spans and caused the "flood" when it emptied to the earth.

www.godandscience.org...

Same goes for things like intelligent design.

All religions do this, New Age ones are no exception.

Of course they always lack verifiability and reproduce ability but that is for another thread.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This guy lit a fire between my ears that I can't seem to extinguish. His theorys seem a but weird and unqualified but he really makes one heck of a case. Nassim Haramein is the guys name and he seems to be so far out of the box (that if he's right) the entire field of physics is a bunch of tots in the sandbox. He gives a presentation on the evolution of his research at this link~>
video.google.com...#

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Yes Nassim's theory is pure genius, if you have studied physics for a long time it will be hard for you to accept this, as you will have to realise you have been looking at ilogical science all your life, if your fairly new to it, this blow your head off. so watch it! realise wot you are and take it easy.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SASAlbertino
Yes Nassim's theory is pure genius, if you have studied physics for a long time it will be hard for you to accept this, as you will have to realise you have been looking at ilogical science all your life, if your fairly new to it, this blow your head off. so watch it! realise wot you are and take it easy.

Can you summarize it in any way? I started watching it...looked extremely interesting and he has a pleasant personality, but I don't have hours and hours today to finish...I'm assuming others may have the same problem...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I think it's best to explain it in terms of math. A "particle" thinker is someone who is doing basic math. 1 + 1 =2. A "Wave" thinker is more like seeing in terms of algebra and variables. A+B=C. Where they see all the possibilites A, B and C can equal too. True to the physics, A+B=C contains 1+1=2, just as a wave contains a particle.

To focus only on A+B=C is to never make a choice however. And to focus on 1+1=2 is to not allow another choice.

And this is not just in science, it's also in religion and many other things. People and mainstream wish to force 1+1=2 type thinking to keep people from making choices on their own.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It is extremly hard to simplify Nassim Haramein's concept but I will give it a shot. His theory is that the universe is expanding outward and contracting inward in harmony. Where the outward projection is best seen in the shape of a sphere (Max Mass). There is a coresponding geometry of contraction that he comes up with using pyramid geometry (min Mass) sort of like two tetrahedrons inverted and squished together and placed inside a sphere.
He then goes on to explain the nature of matter as a collection of parts each holding the image of the whole. Explaining the universe as fractal in nature. Where as the infinitely small and the infinite large are one and the same. I strongly recommend watching his presentation even if you watch a segment at a time. The scientific powers that be are having a hell of a time debunking his theories. If he is right the yin yang concept is right on the mark.

top topics

join