It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova Speculations - What do you think?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The shockwave isn't the problem. It's hard radiation from the supernova that kills. And that travels, of course, at the speed of light. We'd only know about it as it happens. There'd be no warning, no time for anxiety or futile efforts to save ourselves.

The Universe is cruel, but takes pleasure in small mercies.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Immanuel Velikovsky killed the Mammoths:

Immanue Velikovsky Pole Shift

Google: Immanuel Velikovsky videos

Research means everything.

ED: The youtube version, links in better for me:
Immanuel Velikovsky: Pole Shift
www.youtube.com...

teslaandlyne (5 seconds ago)
Don't throw away any ancient books, cause if you read them you might be as smart as Velikovsky and Einstein and Nickola Tesla. Books from Tesla were taken by the FBI so it might be difficult getting into any more centuries with the nut jobs we have today.

[edit on 1/20/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

[edit on 1/20/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Well the thing about is that it is 8 billion light years away. That means that it occured 8 billion years ago. So that star went supernova a very long time ago...in a galaxy far far away...

Nothing to worry about. If Hubble picks up a supernova in our own galaxy, it is not going to affect us....unless it just so happens to be that one star we all depend on...called Sol.
Cheers!!!!

This is not true.

Gamma ray bursts are thought to result from a super-massive star going supernova before becoming a black hole, or from the merger of neutron stars -- and if one of those happens even 500 lightyears away from us, we could all be killed by gamma radiation. Some scientists think that a large supernova -- or hypernova -- that occurs even 1000 light years from us could cause mass extinctions (maybe even humans) due to radiation.

So, like the OP said, it is possible that a Supernova, hypernova, or gamma ray burst 500 lightyears away could have already happened 450 years ago (but the light hasn't even reached us yet) and the inevitable radiation wave of destruction is already on its way to destroy life on Earth.

Cheerful thought, isn't it

[edit on 1/20/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Your post made me think of a comic strip i saw the other day

thatsmyskull.blogspot.com...

So you see why it made me laugh? So would Odins missing eye be the all seeing eye then?

[edit on 20-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Fri Jan 23 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Soylent is correct, it was much more likely a GRB that happened to be facing in the direction of earth when it occured. Heres my hypothosis, a large star in the end stages of it's lifetime collapsed and formed a blackhole which releases extremely large amounts of energy when they occur, the energy is shot out of the top and bottom of the black hole and looks something like this: GRB; Wiki.
If one of these spires of energy is facing the Earth we will most defineatly detect it, GRB are one of if not the most energenic events that occurs in the universe, even more so than a supernovae. Also at 8 billion light years away the distance seems correct, that's usually the distance at which we detect GRB but they could also occur anywhere. Hope this helps!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by 29083010384959]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join