It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden shushes wife after secretary of state slip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – The wife of Vice President-elect Joe Biden let it slip to Oprah Winfrey Monday that her husband had a pick of two jobs in the Obama administration. Jill Biden said President-elect Barack Obama gave Biden the choice of being secretary of state or vice president. The vice president-elect tried to hush his wife as soon as the words came out of her mouth, with a loud "shhh!" that sent the audience into laughter.
news.yahoo.com...

Oops. But is it a big deal? I see her side, she wanted her husband home. Also all that travel would probably be hard on him because of his age. But who knows, if his wife said be Sec. of State, we might have had a Clinton for VEEP!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

Huh?

He will be vice president as elected I would gather....

If Clinton becomes VP for some reason

This scenario all of a sudden does not look so outrageous any more

Questions, questions.....

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

I think the comments were made in regards to when Obama was choosing his VP candidate.

Meaning, he approached Joe Biden because he wanted him on board and asked if he wanted to be his running mate or his Sec. of State.

I imagine that if he had chosen to be Sec. of State, Obama would have chosen Clinton as his running mate.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

What? I think you're confused. Obama offered him both positions. Biden's wife said take the job of Veep. If she had said take the Sec. of State job we might have had a Clinton for Veep.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I betchya when Hillary heard this gaff she threw a vase across the room!
Now everyone knows that she wasn't Obama's first choice for the job.
Major ego buster.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I think it's kind of funny (and I thought it was cute how Joe responded) but I do feel a little sorry for Hillary. I hope she's not too embarrassed. I doubt it because it's pretty clear that Obama never really considered her for VP. And her new job is certainly going to be better and more fun than going back to Senator.

I think Obama probably did (unofficially) ask Joe which job he'd prefer and he talked about it with Jill and decided on VP. Then Obama officially offered it to him.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That's what I figured. He asked Biden some thing like "Hey, you're a senior senator with decades of experience. I want that experience one way or another in my administration. So, would you like to be my Vice President or my Sec. of State?" But I can see Hillary having a couple puppies shot after hearing this lol.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I think it's kind of funny (and I thought it was cute how Joe responded) but I do feel a little sorry for Hillary. I hope she's not too embarrassed. I doubt it because it's pretty clear that Obama never really considered her for VP. And her new job is certainly going to be better and more fun than going back to Senator.

I think Obama probably did (unofficially) ask Joe which job he'd prefer and he talked about it with Jill and decided on VP. Then Obama officially offered it to him.

you found it cute how joe responded? you know a massive fight happened between the two back stage because of that. the bidens need to learn something called keeping their mouths shut. i guess it is the biden curse or something

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
you know a massive fight happened between the two back stage because of that.

Probably because they knew that the few members of the press who aren't in the tank for Obama would question the legality of what Obama did.

Promising an appointment to a federal office by a candidate in exchange for support is a crime.

Title 18 chapter 29 section 599 of the United States code

"Whoever, being a candidate, directly or indirectly promises or pledges the appointment, or the use of his influence or support for the appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Did Obama or didnt' Obama promise an appointment to a federal office in exchange for support? Will we ever know? (sounds like a move Obama's buddy Gov. BLAGO would make in Chicago) Quick ... someone get Mrs. Biden some champagne to celebrate with ... and if she gets tipsy enough she may spill some more secrets.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I heard the audio clip yesterday and thought to myself, jeez, what is it with the Biden last name and putting foot in mouth?
The fact that Joe had to shushhh his wifey tells me this is true.

Maybe ther is truth to this Magic Negro bit afterall, Joe made a wish and he got it fulfilled.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So what?

He talks to Biden, he talks to Clinton. He tells Clinton she can have one or the other depending on what Biden wants.

Big Deal.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

We don't know that. It sounds more like if Biden chose Sec. then Hillary would be Veep. But since Biden chose Veep Clinton was given Sec.

new topics

top topics

join