It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people confuse consciousness with awareness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
People talk about consciousness when they are really talking about the level of awareness people have. Just what is consciousness? Consciousness is just something people say when they say they are "awake" but what does it mean that you're awake? You could be awake to some things and not to other things. But, if you're really aware of what's going on you'll be more than conscious of these things because if you're just conscious of things you're not thinking about them per say but if you're aware of them you really know these things exist and they're there and being aware of things really is more of a state of mind. But people just like to use the word consciousness to make it seem more mysterious. I've always wondered why this is. I don't really understand... why do people misuse the word consciousness to describe one's awareness of things?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

why does my neighbour but his knives on the left hand side of the drawer when i put them on the right?
Why do some people call a vacuum cleaner a hover?
Why do some people do things different to you, why do some people generalise.
Because they are not you.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Europe]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

its just taking the context differently in its alternate definitions.

The denotatitve definition (literal) of consciousness is about what it really is, its make up and the true mysterious nature in our percieved world.

the connotative definition (what it represents) will always be associated with awareness, and "wakefullness".

edit: spelling

[edit on 19-1-2009 by juveous]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
consciousness is pure awareness and vice versa. They are one and the same thing. Look up panpsychism. It is literally awareness "all the way down"

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
consciousness is pure awareness and vice versa. They are one and the same thing. Look up panpsychism. It is literally awareness "all the way down"

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
People talk about consciousness when they are really talking about the level of awareness people have. Just what is consciousness? Consciousness is just something people say when they say they are "awake" but what does it mean that you're awake? You could be awake to some things and not to other things. But, if you're really aware of what's going on you'll be more than conscious of these things because if you're just conscious of things you're not thinking about them per say but if you're aware of them you really know these things exist and they're there and being aware of things really is more of a state of mind. But people just like to use the word consciousness to make it seem more mysterious. I've always wondered why this is. I don't really understand... why do people misuse the word consciousness to describe one's awareness of things?

Geee Frank, that's pretty complicated,

Let's do definitions

dictionary.reference.com...

I hope i can paste all this to make it easier to reflect,

con⋅scious⋅ness
   /ˈkɒnʃəsnɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kon-shuhs-nis] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
2. the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people: the moral consciousness of a nation.
3. full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness after fainting.
4. awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
5. concern, interest, or acute awareness: class consciousness.
6. the mental activity of which a person is aware as contrasted with unconscious mental processes.
7. Philosophy. the mind or the mental faculties as characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.
—Idiom
8. raise one's consciousness, to increase one's awareness and understanding of one's own needs, behavior, attitudes, etc., esp. as a member of a particular social or political group.

Consciousness
Con"scious*ness\, n. 1. The state of being conscious; knowledge of one's own existence, condition, sensations, mental operations, acts, etc.

Consciousness is thus, on the one hand, the recognition by the mind or "ego" of its acts and affections; -- in other words, the self-affirmation that certain modifications are known by me, and that these modifications are mine. --Sir W. Hamilton.

2. Immediate knowledge or perception of the presence of any object, state, or sensation. See the Note under Attention.

Annihilate the consciousness of the object, you annihilate the consciousness of the operation. --Sir W. Hamilton.

And, when the steam Which overflowed the soul had passed away, A consciousness remained that it had left. . . . images and precious thoughts That shall not die, and can not be destroyed. --Wordsworth.

The consciousness of wrong brought with it the consciousness of weakness. --Froude.

3. Feeling, persuasion, or expectation; esp., inward sense of guilt or innocence. [R.]

An honest mind is not in the power of a dishonest: to break its peace there must be some guilt or consciousness. --Pope.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
Cite This Source

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Awareness

awareness

noun
1. having knowledge of; "he had no awareness of his mistakes"; "his sudden consciousness of the problem he faced"; "their intelligence and general knowingness was impressive" [ant: incognizance]
2. state of elementary or undifferentiated consciousness; "the crash intruded on his awareness"

a·ware (ə-wâr') Pronunciation Key
adj.

1. Having knowledge or cognizance: aware of the difference between the two versions; became aware of faint sound.
2. Archaic Vigilant; watchful.

[Middle English, variant of iwar, from Old English gewær; see wer-3 in Indo-European roots.]
a·ware'ness n.

dictionary.reference.com...

new topics

top topics

join