It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The evolution of man gets more complex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
A new Geological Society of America Book Reveals the Complexity of Human Evolution

As we study human evolution and the basis of our rise to civilization we find that the path is getting more and more complex.

In the late 19th century it was thought man was a linear evolution line from a primate ancestor. How wrong we were.

We had lots of 'cousins' and '2nd cousins' who went extinct.

The volume’s ten chapters focus on four projects near the long-studied Hadar Research Area: Dikika, Gona, Hadar, and Ledi-Geraru, which cover most of Africa’s Lower Awash Valley. The authors’ new research and inter-project collaborative efforts help shed light on the chronology and context of some of our earliest ancestors.

The initial phases of human evolution in Africa between 8 and 2.5 Ma are now known to be far more complex than was thought prior to the 1990s.” The newly revealed complexity derives from recent discovery of four new genera (of a total of seven genera) belonging to the upright-walking subtribe hominina (Ardipithecus, Kenyanthropus, Orrorin, and Sahelanthropus) and eight newly defined species of the hominina (S. tchadensis, O. tugenensis, Ar. kadabba, Ar. ramidus, Australopithecus anamensis, Au. bahrelghazali, Au. garhi, and K. platyops)—all new taxa published since 1994.

While these and other finds have driven human-origins research forward, the discoveries have vitally depended on collaborative research with geologists whose contribution has been not only to date fossil discoveries, but increasingly aimed at establishing a more complete understanding of the geological context of speciation and extinction during these early evolutionary phases.

Link to GSA

The Geology of Early Humans in the Horn of Africa
Jay Quade and Jonathan G. Wynn (editors)
Geological Society of America Special Paper 446
2008, 234 pages
ISBN 978-0-8137-2446-1

[edit on 19/1/09 by Hanslune]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the link! I'm going to have to do some catch-up reading on this. I haven't come across some of those genera in my previous reading. I see at least one of those on TalkOrigins: www.talkorigins.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Another interesting take on evolution is Lloyd Pye. His theory is basically that we did not evolve from hominoids but were instead genetically modified versions of aliens.

Additionally, he is a subscriber to Sitchin's work and ties his theories into it.

He also claims that the other hominoids are not extinct but are in fact Yeti, Bigfoot, Sasquatch, etc...

Out there yes, but if you have time to watch some of his presentation he does present some evidence and interesting information. Worth a view if you have the time (below is the starter of the set).

Anyway, a little off topic, but there you are.

delius

[edit on 19-1-2009 by delius]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by delius

Thank you Delius for the alternative look

I've haven't paid much attention to Lloyd since his debacle with the 'star child' skull'.

Going thru his video

Some words that come out:

Brain washing
Hinting at a massive conspiracy
Misled
Paid to find pre-humans
Fudge
Subtle braining washing
2 million years = "sudden"
Look nothing like us

Lloyd speaks to amateurs who usually don't understand the errors and omissions that he throws around. Basically he tries to sell a world where the ENTIRE scientific community is involved in a multi-generational conspiracy to defraud people - why and how would they do this you may ask - well just because!

He sounds almost plausible if you know nothing about the subjects he touches on, if you do know something about it he sounds like an extraordinary dullard and he approaches the subject with insincerity, dishonesty, untruthfulness and bad faith. In Japanese they might call him
ぎまんしゃ.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Nice find, I too will have to brush up. I wonder why so many "branches" of hominids at the same relative time and relative same place? I don't recall anything similar to it except in the Galapagos with finches I believe. These shouldn't have been isolated communities like in those islands.

Kinda weird.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This thread got moved to this forum from ancient and lost civilizations.

I'm not interested in participating in this subject area. Enjoy the information.

top topics

join