It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil war and vigilantism gripping Mexico

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Oh yes there has been corruption in Mexico for years.

I live in a bordering state and use to make a tequila run 1or2 /6months you could bring back a case of the upper end like mescal for $3.00 / fifth .

Juarez can be a fun place but the corruption can really be seen if you go to a cantina off the main street for a evening or 2. If you just watch you can see the perversion there . With mind you local cops and federal cops in the cantina you could see drug deals going down in front of the law officers you could also a 8- 14 year old turning tricks right in front of the law men . And another bar you can can watch 6+ year olds boxing till one is knocked out. And there are other assorted stories of things just plain down right WRONG and yes many are true unfortunately . Some of these people will do any thing for money.

Also Juarez has a murder problem there is if I remember correctly some 800 women found dead in the surrounding dessert many attribute to drug king pins and smuggling. Which has been rumored to having police ties . I have been told it is not just in that area its nation wide but I never made it past 180 miles inside Mexico so I cant honestly say .

So if they are close to a civil war and or a break down It would not surprise me in the least . If you ever have gone to the rural areas off the normal tourist traps life is so desperate I am honestly surprised a major upheaval hasn't happened in the last 30 years.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If there is a mass exodus from mexico into the states, would the national guard or border patrol and US civilian groups have a chance to stop it?

Mexico is an oligarchy meaning it is controlled by families who are very repressive, this is part of the reason why one of the absolute richest men in the world was a mexican, a country that is partially third world.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Mexico's been having these problems for along long time, and although this is much worse then it has been I don't see anything like a mass exodus. Unless natural disasters and or widespread disease is involved.

You know though, I am headed to the Yucatan in less than 2 weeks. I'll find out as much as i can, and watch my back too.

Should I start a thread about it? Kinda like this one....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
Well that is what happens when a country decides to co-operate with gangsters and become lenient on criminal affairs.

yeah, your right,, but the USA has financial gangsters over drug cartels and they were allowed to run rampant as we pay the price

somehow in america it seems acceptable because it wasn't physical violence or something

people need to wake up

financial drug dealers took our system down

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
If there is a mass exodus from mexico into the states, would the national guard or border patrol and US civilian groups have a chance to stop it?

Do you live in the USA?If you did you would know that this has been going on for years and no one will do anything.
civilian groups like www.minutemanproject.com...
here is what happens to that idea.
" According to three documents on the Mexican Secretary of Foreign Relations Web site, the U.S. Border Patrol is to notify the Mexican government as to the location of Minutemen and other civilian border patrol groups when they participate in apprehending illegal immigrants -- and if and when violence is used against border crossers."source-www.dailybulletin.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
interesting article

If Mexican drug violence spills across the U.S. border, Homeland Security officials say they have a contingency plan to assist border areas that includes bringing in the military.

In October, Hidalgo County officials issued fully automatic weapons to deputies patrolling the river in the Rio Grande Valley. Sheriff Lupe Trevino also authorized his deputies to return fire across the border if smugglers or other criminals took aim at them.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

i hope this doesnt spill over, but if it does it will not be pretty. i know alot of folks who would not stand for this.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Riviera

I wish it were legal, I would start a hemp farm tomorrow. Mass produce hemp and bamboo products? My dream.

what are you nuts,,,,you can only produce something like 30,ooo products from hemp,,, why grow that????

thats nuts,,,it's proven a better source for alternative fuel over corn

it was actually as law once where farmers had to grow hemp on there farm

my,,, we havent progressed but digressed on this issue ehh????

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by turbokid

interesting article

If Mexican drug violence spills across the U.S. border, Homeland Security officials say they have a contingency plan to assist border areas that includes bringing in the military.

In October, Hidalgo County officials issued fully automatic weapons to deputies patrolling the river in the Rio Grande Valley. Sheriff Lupe Trevino also authorized his deputies to return fire across the border if smugglers or other criminals took aim at them.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

i hope this doesnt spill over, but if it does it will not be pretty. i know alot of folks who would not stand for this.

maybe we do need this,,,, so then maybe we can secure the border

right now all talk ,no action
or i mean no talk and no action

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
you know it really is a pity that we haven't attempted to make mexico a stronger country over all these years. It's been a huge failure by the US. I don't know if it all started in the 1800's when we were having so many problems with mexico, and we just never burried the hatchet or what.

They have a long history of corrupt government(for the record, some real heroes too), which has stunted there growth in what could be a thriving western nation. So in that regard I can't blame America(not for all the corruption anyway), that falls on the Mexicans. It seems to me however, that being next door to us we'd have a vested interest in their successes as a nation. Of all the countries to try and cooperate, or even lend a hand to you think mexico would be near the top of the list.

Certainly if mexico were a stronger safer country, so many of them wouldn't have invaded the US over the past few decades.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Right here I go.
I agree with LiquidSmoke keep it illegal but decriminalised.
I can see the point that the last man on earth is putting forward americas military actions do seem very dominating and (I know this will cause offence but I dont intend it) I would not be surprised if they did try to annexe a country completely and officially under their control (unlike Iraq which is unofficial and not very well controlled).
The US government benefits from this as the CIA etc. get a cut of the coke profits and then america goes into mexico use overwhelming force brutally kill a large number of people to end the troubles and then expect payment and thanks for it.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

Mexico is an oligarchy meaning it is controlled by families who are very repressive, this is part of the reason why one of the absolute richest men in the world was a mexican, a country that is partially third world.

According to this El Paso Times story, the military is expecting a ‘sudden collapse’ in Mexico.

www.elpasotimes.com...

That discussion going on here, with all the Rex-84 inmplications involved.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Have more people noticed that the situation seems pretty severe while the media, at least here in Europe doesn't report on it? Same case in the US?

www.americanchronicle.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The Canadian media hasn't reported it either. In fact, the last few days it's been all Obama related stuff. Great, informative post!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
you know it really is a pity that we haven't attempted to make mexico a stronger country over all these years. It's been a huge failure by the US.

are u kidding,,,,,do you know the amount of money we ship over there from the gov't,,,you can only do so much,,,,,didn't this article just say we trained there army forces,,,,,and besides why is it the USA's job to buildup there country????granted we try,,,,but you act as if we haven't,,or failed,,,,ru serious

do you even research your answers,,,or just shoot from the hip????

i found all the facts below in 5 minutes

the tourism money spent there

the drugs we buy here illegally come from there---more us money heading south

also how many factories have moved south of the border???

even farmers are moving below the texas border

also this fact
mexico.usembassy.gov...

Here in Mexico, the United States’ commitment to the fight against HIV/AIDS has been about $2 million per year every year since 2003.

anothetr fact
link-www.commondreams.org...
dated july 2,2008

WASHINGTON - A $465-million aid package aimed at countering terrorism and crippling the drug trade in Mexico and Central America was signed into law yesterday by U.S President George W. Bush

mexico built 1,098,560 vehicles for the us big three in 2008

www.parade.com...
total us aid to mexico in 2008 was 551 million dollars
8th highest of all countries recieving aid

not to shabby for doing nothing but holding your hand out

no surprise israel was #1 with 2.4 billion,most used to buy weapons

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
My opinion is this if the government of Mexico asks for troops from The United States Of America to intervene to help control the drug lords I believe the U.S. will refuse. If Mexico asks for help from Mainland China I believe they will send troops since they have a treaty with one another.

Now the Chinese would be at our southern border and in the future we will have to see how this plays out since Obama now is in Power.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

yeah i understand we move business there(i own a guitar made in mexico), but i still see sooo many dirt poor people there. maybe I just have a soft spot for em.
and we go there for vacation. I've been there many many times, in fact I'm going again on the 31st. But all that money clearly stays in those areas, and goes to the many foreign companies who are embedded there(not he USA's fault, i get it just pointing out that it doesn't make a big enough impact)

I'm not saying we don't give them anything either, I get that we do, perhaps even more than i thought, so we haven't failed to attempt, we've simply failed in our attempts. I get that this is largely mexico's fault, but it seems it should be a bigger issue, and one our leaders should care more about, and be more willing to take care of. I mean I'd definitely rather see mexico thrive than Israel.

Ultimately only mexico can decide mexico's fate i suppose. but like I said, we have vested interest in their success, after all they're our neighbors. And i still think it should be a bigger issue; they're right at our back door.

And that would be pretty crazy, to have a buncha chinese soldiers south of the border...it'd be kinda like the cuban missile crisis all over again.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

I disagree. Obama is going to start pulling troops out of Iraq. While it's true he's going to send some of those to Afghanistan, some of them might be placed on the border, "just in case."
I've read in some other places that drug violence is spilling over into the United States, so it may not be long before we have to get involved. It's a shame, but these guys are orgaznized, and ruthless. I won't be surprised to see Mexico ask for help. And it would be pretty sorry of us not to help the legitimate government.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The amount of money sent back to Mexico from the illegals here is astounding.They really do not need help.

"Mexican President Vicente Fox said at a meeting with Mexican-American businessman that money sent back to Mexico
from America is the biggest source of revenue for Mexico and has been since 2003"
"In February, 2005 I reported that the amount sent back in remittances was $16.6 billion for 2004. So if Vicente Fox is saying it was $12 billion in 2003 and it's $16.6 billion in 2004 this alone shows the massive increase in illegal aliens that has occurred over this period. I'm eagerly awaiting the results for 2005, which if things hold true, will top $21 billion in 2005"
www.diggersrealm.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Mexico, just like most Middle-America countries are being squeezed by the USA. Or do you really have a sound argument for them having a much lower living standard than the USA? Do some research in economic hitmans, it'll open your eyes. And the numbers that are mentioned are 'white' numbers, there is a lot more going on than that.

Anyway Mexico is a mess, guy at my work is Mexican and sometimes shares some nice details about his country. The drug cartells have better weapons than the police and about on par with the military, scary stuff. Who's helping those cartells hmm? They cut off people heads and leave the headless bodies in the street to scare the population...'great' stuff.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadcatsrule
The amount of money sent back to Mexico from the illegals here is astounding.They really do not need help.

"Mexican President Vicente Fox said at a meeting with Mexican-American businessman that money sent back to Mexico
from America is the biggest source of revenue for Mexico and has been since 2003"
"In February, 2005 I reported that the amount sent back in remittances was $16.6 billion for 2004. So if Vicente Fox is saying it was $12 billion in 2003 and it's $16.6 billion in 2004 this alone shows the massive increase in illegal aliens that has occurred over this period. I'm eagerly awaiting the results for 2005, which if things hold true, will top $21 billion in 2005"
www.diggersrealm.com...

i saw that figure to,,,it is basically the 2nd biggest incomne their country
has,,,that's a helluva lot of money

i would like to know how much of that figure is legal taxed money and how much of it isn't

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Looks like the best thing the U.S. could do for Mexico is to decriminalize drugs and make them a health issue instead of a legal one. That one move could not only knock out the drug industry in Mexico, but it would go a long way towards solving the drug problem at home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join