It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic boom over Dallas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
About 11:00 pm Friday Jan.16th I heard a very loud boom that shook windows and walls in my house.
Just curious if anyone else in Dallas heard it or heard anything about it?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
i heard somewhere that there was a gas explosion cant find anything on it though

i'll keep looking but thats what i think it is

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A sonic boom is usually heard as a double boom unless the aircraft producing it is quite close by.

One source of loud booms is exploding electrical transformers. They do that at times, for various reasons.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Im in Dallas (North Dallas) and didnt hear anything of the sort.

I am trying to remember, was it windy on Friday? At my house, when it is really windy some of the windows in my house shake and rattle like crazy. Its an old house though.

Im not seeing anything on the Dallas police incident report for that day on their website.

Im trying to think of anything here.... On Friday, I think it was friday, a helicopter flew really low, past my house, but then again that happens alot.

I havent heard anything about it on the news either. I will keep this thread in mind and come back if I do hear anything though.

Dallas is a big place, What part of Dallas do you live in ( no need to be to specific) North, South, East or West?

Im just trying to think of what it could have been. Do you live near either D/FW or love field airport?

As had been said, a sonic boom is usually heard as a double boom. It could also have been a blown transformer. Those things are quite noisy when they go.

If you do suspect that it was aircraft related you can contact the FAA and ask about it.

Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591
1-866-TELL-FAA (1-866-835-5322)

www.faa.gov...

Or you can contact the Dallas PD to see if they know of anything

A list of DPD phone numbers

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but as I said, If I figure anything out I will come back to the thread and let you know.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
i heard somewhere that there was a gas explosion cant find anything on it though

i'll keep looking but thats what i think it is

In Dallas? I havent heard that and I LIVE in Dallas, It doesnt appear to be on the local news here either. There was one in Dallas LAST YEAR.... but not recently. So umm... where did you here that there was a gas explosion in Dallas?

[edit on 19-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
We get those sometimes here in Northern California but then again we get fly overs from Travis Airforce base up close to Fairfeild.
Can be very scary when its all nice and quiet when you finally get the kids to bed then BOOOOOMMMM everyones up thinking its an earthquake.
I actually met one of the guys who did it and I SLAPPED HIM ACROSS THE FACE! He CO laughed and walked off. Thank gawd I wouldnt last a day in jail not enough books and no internet to get more on.....

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm about 20 - 30 minutes South of Dallas. It was definetly a very big boom. I have heard sonic booms and that is what it sounded like. It was loud enough to startle me. I ran through all the rooms to be sure the kids and wife were okay. It was like a lightning strike outside your window, but without the crackle of electricity. At first I thought a car had run off the highway and into our house.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d
I'm about 20 - 30 minutes South of Dallas. It was definetly a very big boom. I have heard sonic booms and that is what it sounded like. It was loud enough to startle me. I ran through all the rooms to be sure the kids and wife were okay. It was like a lightning strike outside your window, but without the crackle of electricity. At first I thought a car had run off the highway and into our house.

So do you live reasonably close to killeen, where fort hood is?

If so thats a possibility, as I believe they do fly military craft in and out of there.

If thats the case it very well could be a sonic boom. I still havent seen anything about it on the news or anything.

For what its worth, Years ago, when I lived up north of Dallas A f-117 stealth fighter flew over my house. That was a real cool sight.

Then a few years later when I lived close to a private airport some type of fighter jet made a landing at that airport. I dont know why it landed there though... Let me tell you , I heard taht one coming for atleast 3 minutes before it went over my house, and it flew so low when it went over. I went outside to wait for it, and it was just a blur, I still lived at home then, and my family said the whole house shook so much they thought it was going to collapse or something...

But I digress, if you do live reasonably close to killen and fort hood that just may be a possibility.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
While I don't live in Dallas, I do live in Fort Worth, and I can say that I didn't hear anything, nor have I heard anything.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I have a friend from work that lives about 25 miles east of where I live if he heard anything that night. He told me that he heard what sounded like a sonic boom. It was loud enough to bring his neigbors outside. He said everyone was looking at the sky trying to see what had happened. His first thought were that another space shuttle had exploded on re-entry. So I am baffled now. If it was heard in that large of a radius it had to be something big. But no reports anywhere on it. I wonder if there was any seismic readings at that time.

top topics

join