It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush Commutes sentence of Ramos and Compean

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
COME ON...they should have received full pardons!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Bush pardons Boarder Guards for protecting the USA

Obama will pardon Guantánamo detainees who wish to destroy the USA.

Now that IS change

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by POTTOS

Might've been a longer process and more paperwork that would have been rendered obsolete by the time it got done.
After all it wouldn't be done by a whim anyways, you'd have to through all the different channels. And this seems to have been a last moment thing so there wouldn't have been much hope for a full pardon.
And I doubt that Obama would take over the pardon process for these guys considering he has more important to get done like screwing up the United States.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is nothing but part of the Bush attempt to spin his ‘legacy’. If he had given a full pardon I would give him his propers, but this is just CYA.

The message that was sent by prosecuting Ramos and Campeon remains. Don’t F with the drug smugglers. Que Bono.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
This is nothing but part of the Bush attempt to spin his ‘legacy’. If he had given a full pardon I would give him his propers, but this is just CYA.

The message that was sent by prosecuting Ramos and Campeon remains. Don’t F with the drug smugglers. Que Bono.

He could not legally give a full pardon. All he could do was commute their sentences.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is from an email sent out by the Minutemen Project:

The executive director of Jim Gilchrist's Minuteman Project, Inc., Stephen J. Eichler, JD, called the office of the U.S. Pardon Attorney, Ronald Rodgers, in Washington , D.C. to discuss the prospect of a presidential pardon for Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, two border patrol agents who have been imprisoned for the past two years.

"After speaking with a U.S. Pardon Attorney staff coordinator about the serious nature of this matter my call was immediately put through to Mr. Rodgers himself," Eichler said.

The U.S. Pardon Attorney consults directly to the President of the United States with recommendations for the pardoning of prisoners in federal prisons.

Pardons, no? Commutations, yes?

"We had a very frank and open discussion regarding the plight of the two border patrol agents," Eichler said. "During the conversation Rodgers mentioned that agents Ramos and Compean were not eligible for pardons; however, they may be eligible for commutations."

Sign our petition to US Pardon Attorney by Monday!

"Rodgers was very informative and courteous," Eichler continued. "We got right to the point. The truth of the matter is a commutation is a strong position for Ramos Compean to be in. All a pardon does is nullify punishment or stop the legal consequence to a sentence. Apparently, the defendants are not eligible for pardons. However, they may be eligible for a commutation of sentence which would result in a possible reduction of their sentence. It could be very possible that the Pardon Attorney may recommend that their sentences be shown as 'with time served.'

They were not eligible for pardons. They WERE eligible for commutations. I signed petitions for this, as did my wife and dozens of people i know.

Those of you who are complaining about the action taken...what did YOU do to help these men?

Petition locations:

Rep Cornyn:

www.gopusa.com...

The Minutemen:

minutemancc.us...

[edit on 19-1-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join