It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks Joins Call for National Service and Asks, “Are You In?"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Because barok saying things like required service for college students.

He didn't say that. If you want the $4000 credit from the government, the service is required, but the program is totally voluntary.

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

Required service for high school students.

Didn't say that, either.

Obama and Biden will set a goal that all middle and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year. They will develop national guidelines for service- learning and will give schools better tools both to develop programs and to document student experience.

Source

They CAN'T make you volunteer. That's ridiculous!

Originally posted by FlyersFan
"Barack Obama will require you to work.

How HORRIBLE! You are going to be required to work! How dare he?

He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism.

I'll believe it when I see it!

That you put down your divisions.

Hold on tight! I know how important the divisions are to you!

That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zone

Again, How HORRIBLE! How dare anyone suggest that you be connected to the other people in your community! After all, the way it's working now is going so well!

. . . Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual - uninvolved, uninformed."

I'm sure if you want to stay uninvolved and uninformed, it can be arranged.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
It's sad that something as simple as helping others meets such outrage, as if your being attacked in some way.

Man! You said a mouthful right there. I'm glad most of the country doesn't feel that way... Can't believe the cynicism and negativity here.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Retract the claws and put away the kneepads.
That was MICHELLE OBAMA's quote. Not mine.

Aren't you supposed to be out changing the world for Obama, so he doesn't have to do the work, or something ???

:shk:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I know it was Michelle Obama's quote. I can read.
I was sarcastically saying how terrible that someone would ask those things of you!

Look, if you don't want to work, shed your cynicism, put down your divisions, come out of your isolation, move out of your comfort zone . . . If you want to go back to your life as usual - and stay uninvolved and uninformed, GO FOR IT.
No one is forcing you to do any of those things.

In other words, you're complaining that she would suggest such things. Fine, Don't do it.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Helping others is great! Just this weekend, I changed a flat tire on an older lady's car in the snow, helped a neighbor get his car out of a snow bank, shoveled my elderly neighbors driveway and made my sick parents homemade chicken noodle soup! In two weeks I am volunteering at a food pantry.

You see, here's the issue... "VOLUNTEERING" is something that I get to choose to do. I get to choose the date and time, the amount of time and the cause to which to donate my time. When President Soetoro (OR whoever the hell he is!) "Compells me to serve" it is no longer volunteering but now it is "Compulsory Service". The compulsory portion could be in the form of a bribe ($4,000 toward college) or the threat of penalty (Fine or imprisonment) if I fail to serve.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
When President Soetoro (OR whoever the hell he is!) "Compells me to serve" it is no longer volunteering but now it is "Compulsory Service".

Where has he "compelled" you to serve? He ASKED. But dude. You can say no. What's so offensive about him ASKING???

The compulsory portion could be in the form of a bribe ($4,000 toward college)

So, I guess your paycheck is a "bribe", too, then. Are you as offended by the company that employs you?

or the threat of penalty (Fine or imprisonment) if I fail to serve.

According to whom? Where do you guys get this whacked information?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The ironic thing is, the concept of compulsory civilian service is something I've supported for many years. In my opinion, anyone who's recieving government aid, welfare, food stamps, is incarcerated and living off the tax payers' dime, or gets federal education grants should be out there humping along the roadside picking up trash, cleaning rest areas, working soup kitchens, or performing some other tasks so they'll actually be earning their keep instead of getting tax payer dollars to sit on their buts watching Jerry Springer every day.

I do not, however, think it is something we should ever be considering applying to people who aren't leeching off of the American peoples' tax dollars. If you wrok and earn a paycheck, you're paying for others already. That might as well be considered some form of service since the federal tax system is corrupted and unconstitutional anyway.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It is sad to see that in todays world, so many people think only about me, Me, ME! What is wrong with a bit of community service?? When I was in High school, we ALL volunteered two months of our time, in each of our junior and senior years, towards community service. It was a Choice we all made on an individual basis. It was a rewarding experience, which also had the benefit of giving me better educational and employment prospects.

Ever hear of the Red Cross? The majority of their efforts come from volunteers. While Bush was busy eating cake with McCain, Red Cross volunteers were rushing in to help out in the Katrina mess. We all saw how the Red Cross did a far better job than FEMA did. GO Brownie!

If Obama and Congress want to tie government college funding, to a simple 100 hour stint of community service, I say go for it. So many students demand entitlement, and so few pay back their student loans. Loans that YOU and I pay for with our Taxes. 100 hours is nothing for an education that will last a lifetime.

This nation has a long history of volunteerism. From the Minutemen who ran from the fields to defend our emerging nation, to those who feed the hungry and help the injured, volunteerism is an important part of our cultural legacy. Farm Aid, Feed the Children, UNICEF, Student mentors, the PTA, Elderly care such as Meals on Wheels, neighbors helping neighbors fill sand bags when a flood arises, it is all a part of our communities strength.

Too many people seem to demand entitlements. The "Give it to me free" attitude is what is ruining our planet. Stand up, take part in our society and help your fellow man. Someday, you may need help, and you will be glad when it is there.

As for $tarbuck$, they are just another evil empire that is falling apart due to corporate greed. You can not successfully fake social concern, when you don't back it up with deeds.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by kozmo
When President Soetoro (OR whoever the hell he is!) "Compells me to serve" it is no longer volunteering but now it is "Compulsory Service".

Where has he "compelled" you to serve? He ASKED. But dude. You can say no. What's so offensive about him ASKING???

I'd also like to point out the evidence of an amazing shift in culture we've experienced in this country. I'm not that damn old (only 32) and yet I remember very clearly that when I was a kid you'd have never even considered declining a president's request over something like this. It was basically hammered into us by the schools, our parents, and the community: "When the president of the USA requests that you do something (legal and moral, obviously), the only acceptable response is 'sir, yes sir.' and then you perform the task as requested."

I'm not saying this shift is a bad thing, as I myself, starting with Bill Clinton, have experienced a huge loss of respect for even the position of president, let alone the man in the position. I will say, however, that there's a part of me that is saddened by our lost innocence as a nation. Yeah, there were problems way back then, but there was a very Norman Rockwell quality about living in a nation where the presidency was rarely disparaged publically and infrequently questioned/challenged where presidential requests and wishes were concerned.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You need to check into Barry's pal, Rahm Emanual. HE is the one calling for compulsory service. Scary part is that he is Barry's White House boy and has Barry's ear on the matter. He has been a notorious hawk for compulsory service.

By the way, wasn't Barry the one stating the we needed some kind of domestic army, just as big and well-funded as our military? I'll need to look that one up - but I'm sure I heard him droning on and on about it at some point.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I have to agree with you on this.

We are all a part of our community, and we have a responsibility to it.

All of those living on the tax money of others are capable of doing something. It's simply a matter of finding that thing they can do.

No matter how many times people tell me otherwise, a single mother, after taking her kids to school, does not use her day cleaning the house. That's ridiculous.
An unemployed man, who's been unemployed consistently, doesn't spend his entire day looking for work.

I know a guy with depression, and for a while he was off work with it.
I know him well, and instead of spending every day in front of his TV feeling sorry for himself, he could have done any number of things.
He has a son, he could have volunteered at a nursery.
He lifts weights and works in health and fitness, he could have volunteered at a physio center.
He's young and has an illness, but he could have volunteered a few hours to work with troubled teens likely going through the first stages of his disease, learning some things himself while teaching others about his life.
He loves heavy music, he could have volunteered at a venue.

I know a bit about depression, and any of these things would have increased his quality of life while combating his condition. Watching TV and occupying your mind with meaningless noise doesn't help depression, it deepens it.

People shouldn't be just given money to do what they like. If they are living off the state, they should be required to participate in that community to better their surroundings and social environment and develop new skills themselves.

In the UK we have millions of people who do nothing, we have hundreds of thousands of kids who are learning this behavior from their parents. They expect to get the best to enable them to compete with each other while doing nothing to earn it.
There is absolutely no reason for a young man or woman to be claiming benefits in the UK while doing nothing to earn it or further their skills.

From what I see, Obama is making the correct statements and doing it in the right way. It makes sense that all people should feel obliged to take a role in their community.
I wish Brown would act in the same way here, and start empowering people who currently feel dejected and useless, instead of pandering to their utter laziness by paying them to live and reproduce like rabbits.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This nothing but a Kumbaya feel-good stunt promoted by the beleagered Star-Of-David-Bucks chain as it faces a worldwide boycott for its vigorous support of Israel and its apartheid and genocidal policies. I'm proud to say that the only StarOfDavidBucks coffee I've had was a free sample handed to me in the grocery store. Tasted burnt.

I used to work for a large home improvement chain that always managed to corral a bunch of employees into doing all sorts of goody-goody projects around town. These were nothing less than public relations stunts for the corporation done on the cheap using their gullible and/or brown-nosing, corporate ladder-climbing employees. How cynical can you get?

Cumpulsory=Slavery.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Volunteering your service is good. I have directed traffic at car accidents until other officers arrived to relieve me so the fireman or first police officer on the scene could help those involved instead of the menial task of traffic control. done that more times than I can count. Sometimes I even get a thank you or an officer will buy me a cup of coffee the next time he sees me entering a restaurant while he is having lunch. There have been times I bought the coffee too.

Back in high school I used to to do drug/alcohol education through Teen Institute and was in an acting troop called the Medicine Show. Performed in different high schools, business and even before the Ohio Guidance Counsel's Association which observed by one of the governor's advisors to determine further funding for forming other groups in other high schools. Trust me in saying that nothing is less funny to an audience of guidance counselors than high school kids doing comedy. I noted a straight pin on the temporary riser stage that was provided and launched into a 10 min ad-lib that was out of character but played in character to break that crowd.

And that performance will always stand out in my mind as one of my best. But I have also done forced volunteer work while in college raking leaves at a Ronald McDonald House. I was okay with it, but most of the others there were not. And the work showed it. Yet the same group of people worked hard together figuring out and gathering clues in a scavenger hunt for a guy that was pledging for a fraternity. Two of these items required getting a book of matches from a particular gay bar and getting a girl that was featured an issue of Playboy's Girls of the SEC to sign the cover...I drew the short straw on both of those tasks...and no, she wasn't happy to do it as she regretted the attention that her photoshoot brought. So that took some "volunteering" of my own...

For a pretty girl she sure had a lot of laundry for that soon into the year.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
The Truth is that Fourbuck$ uses only 6% fair trade coffee in their business.

I visited their web page and they use the term "ethically traded coffee", rather than Fair Trade. I guess because Fair Trade certification is a term that actually has a definition. So, by calling their coffee "ethically traded", they can apply whatever definition they want.

Starbuck's press release for this volunteer initiative:
www.starbucks.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

People like you are why I hug teddy bears at night and own a bulldog, so cute you just gotta hug, lol.

I'm at starbucks everyday anyway and as I keep saying I need to do more anyway, so far I haven't really heard him say anything I don't like, Obama that is.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

They define ethics as ripping off local farmers and overcharging you for the experience. Their coffee is not ethically traded in any manner that has meaning.

While Starbucks continues to expand globally, coffee prices continue to lie well below the cost of production. This has pushed millions of coffee farmers into poverty and starvation, forcing many to flee their farms for cities or other countries. During the first quarter of 2001, as Starbucks celebrated a 41 percent increase in profits, 500 families a week were leaving coffee farms in Chiapas, Mexico to migrate north in search of work. Companies like Starbucks are reaping windfall profits while paying as little as US$.50/pound for coffee that retails for about US$11/pound, or about US$1 per cup.

The coffee crisis gives new urgency to support the alternative - Fair Trade. Fair Trade guarantees at least US$ 1.26/pound for small farmers' harvests, and encourages sustainable growing methods. A Fair Trade income allows coffee growers to afford basics like health care and education. The Fair Trade system currently benefits 550,000 farming families in 21 countries, such as the Union of Indigenous Communities of the Isthmus Region (UCIRI) in Oaxaca, which has over 5,000 families. UCIRI has used Fair Trade revenues for schools, health care services and strengthening their indigenous culture. The cooperative has also helped create the region's only public bus line and secondary school, a hardware and farm supply center, cooperative corn mills, an agricultural extension and training program, and accounting training.

Unfortunately, Starbucks has yet to support this responsible purchasing option adequately.

Global action against $tarbuck$ has led them to increase their Fair Trade levels to 6%. That means that 94% of their coffee is obtained by paying less than a livable wage to the farmers. You pay fourbucks for a 5cent cup of Joe while the farmers who grew it, starve. Now $tarbuck$ wants you to sign up though them to do community service so that they can benefit from the PR.

The irony lies in the fact that trendy, powerful venues like Starbucks not only rarely support fair trade coffee, they even work in opposition to it by supporting middleman organizations that do not properly compensate producers.

If you ask for a cup of Fair Trade coffe at Starbucks, they will give you one. But only if you ask. Other places charge LESS and are 100% fair trade.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

The thing that kills me is how FAST they are starting to impliment the "service." Leading up to this whole thing he was very vague and only hinted towards a "universal service," and just today, I saw an add with him talking about "doing your part." Even Rahm was very passive when asked questions in the open about it. Now this "back burner" issue is seemingly one of driving forces Obama's camp.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Oh look,
Starbucks is helping Obama look like a Saint.
Keep the tactics to yourselves starbucks

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Okay now, as an employee of said company I've read the paper outlining the program and can tell you right now...

...You people are freaking out over absolutely nothing.

The extent of your "pledge to volunteer" is a sticker that you get to put on your shirt, should you so choose. Oh, and your name on a little piece of paper that they'll probably use to hang up in the stores and cute little things like that....or maybe we'll just throw them away.

The free cup of coffee is able to be given to anybody, it's designed to get people into the stores so they can learn more about the program.

I don't know what "fine print" you're talking about reading because there IS no fine print. The entire thing is 100% voluntary and if you don't follow up on your pledge nobody is going to come knocking on your door.

Volunteering for services that help your community is a good thing. You're helping create a better environment for yourself and others to live in.

Drop your paranoia, it's fine, I promise.

Instead of freaking out you can just not volunteer, it'll be okay. Really, it will be.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Just to clear things up, they CAN make you volunteer! In Ontario, it is required that you complete 40 HOURS of "community service" just to get your high school diploma.

Not to say community service is bad at all, but I highly doubt a cup of coffee or whatever it is will entice people to volunteer. Volunteer work is great but there shouldn't be any material incentive!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join