It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange new sunspot forming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

A new sunspot is emerging inside the circle region--and it is a strange one. The low latitude of the spot suggests it is a member of old Solar Cycle 23, yet the magnetic polarity of the spot is ambiguous, identifying it with neither old Solar Cycle 23 nor new Solar Cycle 24. Stay tuned for updates as the sunspot grows. Credit: SOHO/MDI

spaceweather.com...

For others that like to track whats going on with our sun. I find this interesting that our sun as of lately is not doing what scientists expect. Please let me know if you find any information regarding this new sunspot.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by airteck]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
While I'm on the topic of the sun.... here is a great stats look into the solar cycles for those who would like a history of the solar cycle.

source

Of course this puts my reasonable analysis of solar cycle outside of the last 176 year normal to a two sigma 95% interval 12.6 years has crossed the limit. With little sign of the next cycle beginning yet, this might get worse. I tell you what, I prefer the taxes from global warming to the cost of glaciers in my yard, it seems like a balance of evils to me. I hope this solar cycle changes soon but we can no more effect the sun with a dance than we can effect global warming with a tax so what choice do we have. In Dr. David Hathaway's defense, he made his statement above in July which put the current minimum at 2008.583 which comes to 12.166 years and just inside the 95% two sigma certainty of 12.42. Now that we're at 12.6, I wonder if they'll extend the predictions for the beginning of the next cycle again.

The analysis is not done by a solar expert, but by a statistics junkie and well done in IMO.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Very interesting!

There are some strange things going on with the sun at the moment, and it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

I love how the suns unusually low activity corresponds with a dramatic decrease in global temperatures. That's kind of hard to explain with CO2 emissions.

It's also quite remarkable how the next sunspot cycle, which should have started by now but hasn't, is set to peak in 2012.

This is definitely something to watch!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well the sun has a "pulse."

If the sun can be thought to have a heart, then the currents of hot gas inside represent blood, pulsating around and upward through various layers toward the surface. Sunspots are the hemorrhaged artery in this analogy, bursting quagmires of pent-up energy.

Using sound waves to peer a third of the way into this energetic orb, researchers have found the pulse: Vast pools of hot, electrified gas rub shoulders as they move at different speeds, alternating between slow and fast paces in a surprisingly quick cycle thought to drive sunspot activity.

Sun's pulse

This pulse apparently controls the production of sunspots. What I would like to know is how long has the sun's "pulse" been at its current rate.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by airteck

Good thread start OP.. I will certainly keep an eye on the sun with you.. I also find it interesting how with sun-spot and solar-flare increase there is increased storm and weather activity in general..

I am wondering if the appearance of comet Lulin is starting to exert some influence on the sun as it heads for alignment sometime around 26th of february.. jim mc canney is predicting some weather events with this alignment.. listen to his radio show from last thursday..

Link to show in question

apparently the alignment will include Comet Lulin, Sun, Venus, earth and Mars will be just a little out of alignment but still in the picture..

Do remember the year before last around New Year the alignment with Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and Comet Holmes and the storms the came with that alignment..

So that is the date to watch for..

26th February

I'll try post updates here that is if I recieve any..

Peace

Daz__

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Here's the verdict..... they aren't sure.

Yesterday's sunspot (NOAA 1011) has rapidly faded away. The sunspot's low latitude suggests it may have been a member of old Solar Cycle 23; the sunspot's magnetic polarity was unusual and did not clearly identify it as a member of either Cycle 23 or Cycle 24. Credit: SOHO/MDI

source

I was hoping for more information on this, but the bugger faded away instead of getting bigger. Damn minimum. Oh well.... I'll keep watching and see what our sun does next to make our days interesting ahead.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Is it possible that there could be a reverse action where the sunspots actually draw in energy from the earth prior to a huge ejection? Could this be a localized reversal which may affect only certain regions of earth when it happens?

I too will be watching this closely.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Alright Airteck,

I never thought about this yesterday but on looking at some of the pics you posted one thing struck me and that was the alleged sun spots looked a little more like prominences than sun spots..

I am curious what you'r thoughts are on this.

peace

daz__

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
From the roughly 4 sites I was looking into all concurred that it was a sunspot. If it was a prominence you'd expect a much larger and longer response plus it usually arcs or bends( they can also last for months) but our little guy was no more than a hiccup of probably an old cycle 23 sunspot with some cycle 24 confusion. Looks like the sun can't make up its mind on what it wants to do.

Here's a good picture of a good prominence.

I am by no means an expert..... just an observer.

join