It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The “No Hope, No Change” Cop Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
We we heard his speech on a trip to Berlin. Where he demanded more.. Not less from us. Global citizen. No escape. And facedown Russia guess 8-8-2008? I start laughing again when I think back. Though I wish you'll all well and its true the only change will come from you.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by Stranded]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by anyone
People have gotten so bloody jaded and lazy.

Jaded? With good reason.

Lazy? Look at who is being lazy.

- During the campaign Obama promises to change the world.

- After being elected, Obama suddenly says ... uh ... I mean .. uh ... that you all ... uh ... have to do the actual work. I am ... uh .. just going to ... um ... inspire you.

- In 2012 if everything isn't all rainbows and unicorns he will point to his minions and say it's their fault for not doing enough.

- In 2012 if everything has changed then he'll run for reelection on that claiming that HE brought change.

Since you brought up LAZY!!! It's OBAMA that's being LAZY !! He's having everyone do the work for him.

BTW - I already volunteer. I don't need the gov't forcing it down my throat and I certanly don't do it so that The One will get reelected.

[edit on 1/20/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Should we be worried that he is just starting out and we already have people making excuses for his performance, or lack thereof? Are some of us here honestly going to blame the current situation on the people of this country who have ZERO say in how the laws are passed?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The responses in this thread are the exact reason the United States is the way it is today.

Divided. Divided. Divided.

It is easy to understand why people are upset with Bush's administration. It is over, and we can reflect. We can SEE what he did wrong.

But there is a die hard crowd of Obama haters who have already sold it in on the guy, with not one second served.

There is something inherently wrong about that. I'm sorry you don't see it.

For once let just all put down the mud and act like AMERICANS and not Democrats, Republicans, Atheists, Christians, etc...

I'M NONE OF THE ABOVE... I AM AMERICAN....

I wish my countrymen truly felt the same

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

So, your already making excuses for him. Everything was W's fault up to now, but now its our fault. Its not my fault. I never fell for his "change" and "hope" talk.

How about this change - ask us - the ones you say are responsible - about the stimulus package before they give billions more to the rich so they can fail again?

Now tell me - is it really up to us? How long will it take for you to get that big hook out of your mouth?

I am optimistic, but I refuse to lower my expectation of the man any lower than the standard he has promised.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
During the campaign Obama promises to change the world.

This is a great example of a cop out I've noticed here by Obama haters. They totally make something up that Obama supposedly said ("promised to change the world", for example) and then criticize him for not doing it!
What a cop out! Obama never promised to change the world! You made that up.

Anyway, moving on to more pleasant things. I saw Colin Powell this morning and wanted to add a statement of his about this subject of service that Obama is asking of us.

Everybody Can be Great, Because Anybody Can Serve

While government has a role to play in restoring the American dream at home and rekindling the dream that is America abroad, there are limits to its ability to restore our sense of purpose as a nation. That task falls to us. Particularly in hard times like these, we are charged with living up to our shared responsibility to one another.
This is not a time to retreat to our homes and wait until it's safe to emerge. It is the time to give more, to step forward and serve our fellow citizens, and to reach into the reservoir of this nation's unrivaled capacity for good.

It's not about government doing it all or the people doing it all. It's NOT divided like that into black and white. It's about the government doing their part and the people doing our part. It's about the gray. The division here is by those who think it's all or nothing. It's not going to be the government who fixes everything while the people sit back on their butts, and it's not going to be that Obama is lazy
(that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard) and will have everyone do the work for him. It's somewhere in the middle! It's all of us taking responsibility and doing our part!

Pause for a moment, and ask yourself what you can contribute to the life of this nation.

Originally posted by ImaNutter
For once let just all put down the mud and act like AMERICANS and not Democrats, Republicans, Atheists, Christians, etc...

I'M NONE OF THE ABOVE... I AM AMERICAN....

Very well-said! Thank you! I'm a proud American, too, and today, nothing can change that! But don't worry about the few who cop out of this great movement forward. Sympathize with them, because sadly, they are the ones losing out.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
slicobacon, I didn't make any excuses and I didn't use the word or the idea of fault. Responsibility does not equal "fault". I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
slicobacon, I didn't make any excuses and I didn't use the word or the idea of fault. Responsibility does not equal "fault". I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

You know quite well what I'm talking about, and now you'll try to talk circles around it. IT IS NOT UP TO US! WE HAVE NO SAY! When Congress (Obama included) passes an economic bailout costing the PEOPLE hundreds of billions of dollars with no oversight and a public approval rating of less than 30%, do not say IT IS UP TO US!
The Democrats have held Bush responsible for everything from Iraq to the southern border and thats fine - thats what he signed on for. But now, day 1 - its suddenly OUR RESPONSIBILITY.
BS- I am not responsible for anything that is going to happen with this administration.
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, the change and the hope and all that. Who you going to blame now that Bush has retired?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Obama never promised to change the world! You made that up.

:shk: Wake up.

Obama's own words - 'LET'S GO CHANGE THE WORLD'

ALSO - Supporters of Barack Obama were promised in Londonderry, New Hampshire, on October 16: "We will win this election and, you and I together, we're going to change the country and change the world."

and a few other Obama quotes about changing the world -

"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal. "

Heal the oceans and the planet. That's changing the world.

"It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun. Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today."

Make the world a better place. Yep. That's changing the world as well.

”One voice can change a room, and if one voice can change a room, then it can change a city, if it can change a city it can change a state, and if it can change the state it can change the nation, if it can change a nation it can change the world.”

Yep, thats definately a 'vote for me and the world will change'.

And when looking at the full speech - insinuating 'change the world' could happen with him - "I will never forget that the only reason I'm standing here today is because somebody, somewhere stood up for me when it was risky. Stood up when it was hard. Stood up when it wasn't popular. And because that somebody stood up, a few more stood up. And then a few thousand stood up. And then a few million stood up. And standing up, with courage and clear purpose, they somehow managed to change the world. - speech, Jan. 8, 2008

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
And in every one of those quotes, he talks about "Let's", "us", "you and I", "we", "a few million"... Never, "I promise to change the world".

Thank you for getting all those quotes to prove my point. Oh, I have no doubt that we can and will change the world. But Obama never promised the HE would do it. He's counting on us. And I, for one, am not going to let him or my country down.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Never, "I promise to change the world".

It was directly implyed that a vote for him was a vote to change the world and that only with him as leader would it happen. That's ABSOLUTELY what he was saying.

all those quotes to prove my point.

Only in your dreams.

He's counting on us.

I'm sure he is. He can't get reelected without the free labor.

This is pointless.
You see what you want to see.

- OUT

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Gee, BH, I guess Obama's message didn't get to the Great Unwashed. They seem to have a different view on what CHANGE means. Maybe you better go and proselytize Ms. Joseph...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Change in america takes more than one individual, even one that happens to hold the most powerful seat in the world. How did we find ourselves in this mess? Well in part the vast majority of the country at one time supported the policies that lead us to this state... Bush and cronies would not have been able to lie to the public, to mislead, without the support of americans.

Now Obama never promised to "change the world"... maybe some of his supporters have... but not Obama. Some supporters of the right considered Bush a message reciever of God
.. Palin said so herself
.. Ron Paul has his crazy supporters who think the world of him... that doesnt necessarily mean everybody agrees... and ironically you folks go on about this "messiah treatment" of Obama. The fact of the matter is that Obama has asked all of us to contribute if we want change in america, because that is how the nation moves... one president aint enough.

I feel sorry for many of you, in denial of what has happened under an administration you use to so whole heartedly supported... The lies and mishandling from a president many of yall most probably considered a saviour to the conservative ideology following what was a good look for Liberals during the 90's. The fact of the matter is that it does no good continuously bickering over another candidate yet to implement his policies and do further harm to the nation... no good goes from just bickering for partisan and cultural reasons ....

When Obama messes in his term, then by all means you have reason to bicker then, but for now, with a new president who just took over the nation with a whole lot of crap left from the last administration, with a president yet to cause any further harm, with somebody yet to implement any harmful misleading policies, I think its only fair you fellas starting sucking all the garbage up and start discussing the relevant issues you feel need to be doubt for the next 4 years.

And by the way.... great to see my candidate become president!
Hopefully we can all work together for a better america.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It was directly implyed that a vote for him was a vote to change the world and that only with him as leader would it happen. That's ABSOLUTELY what he was saying.

Im sorry can you please reference where exactly he said he'd change the world? come on now...
If he "ABSOLUTELY" said it, please show us when and where. From what I recall the man promised change in america, and thats exactly what his going to do, change policies and change the way he handles the economy...

Aint you fellas arguing about the changes he intends to make... doesnt that prove that yall agree his change?

Only in your dreams.

For some reason you folks think simply saying things or getting information off some propaganda blog is evidence enough.... I mean in your dreams

I'm sure he is. He can't get reelected without the free labor.

Yes.... lord knows us darn americans should sit back, complain everyday and not think up solutions for the mess we got ourselves into over the last 8years.

Gee.. leave to the one president in power... we did that in the last administration... that went swell.

This is pointless.

Having any decent debate with the relative issues with you fellas is pointless. Why the hot head? Theres always a new "hot headed" thread from you fellas about a guy yet to do what you folks say his done... I mean where is all this misguided anger coming from?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Benevolent requested where exactly Obama promised "change in the world"... all you got was a video of some supporter saying that.. (as if mccain or Bush in 2000 had none of those
)

The fact you couldnt counter BHs request directly only further proves you folks have nothing but talk.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Wow, you found an uneducated Obama voter. *Starts slow clap*

What exactly does that prove? Probably 60% of this country is uneducated in politics. How many voted for John McCain because they thought Obama was a secret Muslim extremist? How many voted for Ron Paul but thinks the fairness doctrine is bad?

It is not anyone's fault that people can't understand basic English. Anyone who thought Obama was going to make this country into a wonderful utopia has no grip on reality.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian

Benevolent requested where exactly Obama promised "change in the world"... all you got was a video of some supporter saying that.. (as if mccain or Bush in 2000 had none of those
)

The fact you couldnt counter BHs request directly only further proves you folks have nothing but talk.

Guess what? I'm not here to satisfy BH's requests.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

We all do what we can. How can one possibly expect more than that? If we all do that, and obviously that includes our new President, things that need fixing will get fixed.

If instead, we prefer to sit on our collective butts and do nothing save bicker in some misguided partisan conflict, well then, we've no one to blame but ourselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

What a cop out Jso.... serious cop out...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Again Flyersfan where did Obama say he will change the world? He said the people of the world can change the world, where did he say he alone could do that?

Once again your making misleading references

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join