It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK banks in freefall after second bailout

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

UK banks in freefall after second bailout

[url=http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Shares-in-Royal-Bank-of-Scotland-And-Other-Banks-Tumble-Despite-Govt-Bail-Out/Article/200901315206190?l pos=Business_Top_Stories_Header_1&lid=ARTICLE_15206190_Shares_in_Royal_Bank_of_Scotland_And_Other_Banks_Tumble_Despite_Govt_Bail-Out[/url]

Shares in Royal Bank of Scotland have nose-dived more than 60% on news the bank could record the biggest corporate loss in British history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-1-2009 by TreX-UK]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
well i think a few of us saw this coming, and the timing is questionable,

My Personal views is this is Orcahstred espiscly the Royal Bank of Scotland(RBS)

If the goverment plans to nationalise RBS then having RBS's Shares hit the floor would be the cheapest way to buy them up

at the time of writeing this

LAST/CHANGE/CHANGE%

Royal Bank of Scotland Group 12.70 -22.00 -63.40
Lloyds TSB Group 65.50 -32.90 -33.44
HBOS 70.10 - 10.90 -13.46
Standard Chartered 674.00 -94.00 -12.24
HSBC Holdings plc 474.00 -61.75 -11.53

*****Link is Vaild if you Copy and Paste*****

not sure why its not likeing it

[url=http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Shares-in-Royal-Bank-of-Scotland-And-Other-Banks-Tumble-Despite-Govt-Bail-Out/Article/200901315206190?l pos=Business_First_Buisness_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15206190_Shares_in_Royal_Bank_of_Scotland_And_Other_Banks_Tumble_Despite_Govt_Bail-Out [/url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Yeah I just saw that... it's insane.

I just red that the UK banks are like Iceland banks... they owe to the world 400% of the UK GDP.

UK is in serious trouble...

Next: the USA.

That's the most important issue of the DAY.... RBS, losing 22$ a share when it was only 34$ a share.... there gonna be a lot of suicides.

Can you only imagine what it will do to the US bank shares tomorrow?

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Wow this seems pretty serious, people were saying that bank shares were starting to normalize - WRONG. The outspill from this is going to be major, all those numbers which people have worked out are going to have to be redone, that means an increase in the doom we're going to feel.

I hope gordon gives up his stupid idea for making a toxic bank, the negative money in the system is far too much for england to offset with tax payers money -of course he knows that and doesn't care, as long as his friends in the city can keep their power he doesn't care what happens to the country or the people.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
[edited this - I looked at etrade and it showed the Fridays down results, I forgot it was MLK day]

What do you guys think about how long it will take to show up on the US Markets?

[edit on 19/1/09 by xstealth]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Dude, the DOW is closed today. It will only be open tomorrow and it's gonna be a slaughterhouse.

IMO this is the crisis the whole Bilderberg group warned about.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Well the toxic bank would be bad, but our petrol prices have creeped up and that is there "Stealth Tax" plus on top of that we are the most taxed nation on the planet so theres probley enough tax money to help

The problem is most of our tax money and the US's goes back to banks pay off Goverment Debt intrest...... whos the winner here? not me or you

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Oh, I forgot. I was looking at the front page of ETrade....

the news hasn't hit mainstream yet, I guess tomorrows results will depend on that; but its still early.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Is RBS is going to collapse and be nationalised? Possibly. I don't like to think it, because I have a significant number of shares in RBS... oh well another loss for the books.

If RBS goes down, things are going to get ugly very, very rapidly. We are talking about the Queen's bankers (Coutts) going out of business!!

That said, its worth noting that for a company that has just revealed the largest loss in British corporate history; a 60% decline isn't overly surprising. The thing that drove prices down even further was the government switching into normal shares... taking their ownership percentage to above 70%, perilously close to overt nationalisation.

As a shareholder in most UK banks... Im not happy today.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

The real question here is why did you stay in the bank shares with the obviousness that it was very very very weak?

Do you read the news?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

aye thats is the most scary thing ..RBS is "The Bank" in the UK if they get Nationalised it will send a shockwave around the world

I feel for ya, im to young/not enough money to have shares at this stage in my life (25) but after seeing all this think any money i do get will be going in to bricks and mortar!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
www.londonstockexchange.com...

Those numbers don't look as bad as I expected. Im not familiar with the London stock exchange but I was prepared to see much harder drops.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK
And so it begins--------all the uk banks will be nationalised and eventually it will be decided that for the good of the sheople ONE national bank will be their salvation.Europe and the good 'ol usa will follow.In a year or so it will be in everyone's interest to have a world bank or so they will say.The manipulation is complete-welcome to the world of the NWO.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Its only the Banks that are falling

Look at this chart

FSTE 100

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I bought in post- Oct 15 (post-Lehman). Now I don't have much to lose.

And I still believe that long term the banks are viable. If they all go down... most chances are I won't need money at all (massive hyperinflation, unrest etc).

reply to post by TreX-UK

Hehe thanks for the sympathy, but I knew I was taking a risk. I just want the government to stop messing around with legislation and bailouts etc. If they had just let the banks heal their own wounds, things would have been better.

And its never too early to start investing (Im only 21!). Even if I just break even at the end of the year, I'll be happy to see it as a learning experience and take any losses as tuition fees.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

hehe someone just blew their trust fund, mummy and daddy will be mad

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Way to stereotype...

Not that I need validation from a tool like you, but just for the record I started a paper round at age 13 and have worked odd jobs since that point.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I just saw that...

RBS was at 700$ a share in March 2007. And now it's 10$ a share.

That's insane. Sorry but I can't stop laughing.... ahahahahahaha

The UK is screwed.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Its in pence. 700p -> 10p

The ratio is the same though... just imagine how the top dogs are bleeding...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join