It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids wearing stab vests to school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Kids wearing stab vests to school

www.news.com.au

BRITISH children are wearing stab-proof vests to protect themselves from becoming victims of violence, according to a report on the impact of gangs on schools.

The report, given to London's The Independent newspaper, said teachers at one school where pupils are said to be "seriously involved in gangs" were "aware of young people wearing bullet-proof/stab-proof vests in school".

It cites one estimate that the number of pupils under 16 involved in gangs had doubled in the past five years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The only problem with this report is that doesn't give an exact number of students who are doing this. It could be one child, maybe more - no definite figures are given.

If it's only a couple of students, then it's probably the richer parents who are opting to make their children look like geeks with the vests.

I don't know what's wrong with the British education system, but I know that it's broken. A couple of Aussie teachers who I know have returned EARLY from their teaching contracts in the UK. They were appalled at the lack of basic respect that anyone showed each other in their UK schools.

The UK government has got a lot to answer for. Like other governments, they pretty much force parents to send their children to schools, but they provide them with such a crap offering.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Wow... and I thought that the education system here in the USA was bad.

What the heck is going on so bad there that they need vests to come to school with? Violence is that bad in Britain? I'm surprised.

I always pictured Britain as being a nation with a more well mannered children than ours.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Wow how crazy, I have heard there has been a problem with knife related crime. I didnt realize it was that serious though. Children having to wear stabbing/bullet proof vests to keep from getting killed.Children being used as messengers for gangs...

Its a sad, sad world we live in. I keep hoping that things will get better but some how they just keep getting worse.

How depressing.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Jesus people...start making criminals pay. (I don't mean more junk laws that criminal don't follow, I mean fight back)

I don't want to repost it but the UK prosecutes people who defend themselves and this is what you have. I called them Naive appeasers in the last post we had about knives... I stand by that assessment.

Start defending yourselves, blast the thugs that come in YOUR houses to steal and do you harm. Start fighting back and watch that crime rate fall.

YOU CAN'T reason with criminal thugs. They only understand deterrent and with the UK's single digit conviction rates your junk laws are not working.

If these little thugs didn't know that they could get away with this crap, it would lessen. The threat of true deadly force makes a thug think twice.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
If it was like that at my school, everyday would be haloween. I don't care if they thought I was crazy, I would be wearing a cuirass with chain mail join covers to school everyday. Good work out too.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
That'd be very death metal to wear a cuirass to school. Actually, it'd be more black metal, but I don't care. It'd be awesome, anyway.

Wait till someone brings a gun, oh yeah then stab proof vests will be sOoOoOoO yesterday.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If someone goes to the length and brings a gun to school to shoot me, while i'm wearing chain mail and a cuirass while trying to haul ass to class.. then its probably my time any damn way.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by LeTan]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
My kid's friend - his parents made him wear a bullet-proof vest to school after Columbine... In Canada.

That was over-reacting - this is over-reacting.

I wonder how long it will be before we all have to wear sockemboppers just to go out in public....

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Oh man that's rough. I noticed multiple posts about a stabbing trend in the past but I didn't know that it was enough to warrant stab-proof vests. But I can't help but feel like the kids with the vests, if noticeable, are walking targets. I mean the neck is wide open...

As for my typical tongue in cheek response, here it is:
"And I thought the geese were causing problems..."

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If I could afford a bullet proof vest, I would wear it EVERYWHERE. Not only is it fashionable, but some of them have nice utility pockets on them. I mean in all seriousness, it would also be good training. I wear ankle weights everywhere i go. A bullet proof vest with heavy panels would be pretty good for just extra weight on your body for exorcise and adds protection!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
If someone goes to the length and brings a gun to school to shoot me, while i'm wearing chain mail and a cuirass while trying to haul ass to class.. then its probably my time any damn way.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by LeTan]

Yeah, I'm in full agreement. Actually, I'd consider it an awesome death. It'd probably one of the best ways to go. Getting gunned down in a cuirass and chain mail, that'd be so freakin' cool.

I almost want to go out that way.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

"I wear ankle weights everywhere i go. A bullet proof vest with heavy panels would be pretty good for just extra weight on your body for exorcise and adds protection! "

Have you ever read Harrison Bergeron?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Home Schooling anyone??!!

second line

themuse

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hah, no, I haven't but skimming what i looked up on wikipedia is interesting.

But back to the issue, I kind of agree that the stab vests don't offer much protection, HOWEVER, to a common thug it would suffice. Most kids who carry knives to school with intent on stabbing a classmate would probably go for the midsection.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by themuse
Home Schooling anyone??!!

That's one option, but not viable for most parents. I still firmly believe that school education should be completely optional for all ages. No one should be forced into school systems that DO NOT FUNCTION.

I've got to think that there's a bigger reason for the decline of the UK education system. It's like it's being allowed to happen on purpose. Maybe, for some unknown reason, the NWO want it to self-destruct. Perhaps they've already got a replacement model, ready to go, once this current sham is over. They just need the current system to totally fail, before most people will be willing to accept anything new, to fix the problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

My experience with criminals is that they only understand one language and that does not include 'reason' or the good use of the Queens English. They are little impotent boys who can't find respect and/or acceptance via intellectualism so they use fear as a lever. Sadly these boys grow into men.

It reminds me of the bully at school who stopped being a bully the second he tried his crap on me. I broke his nose and made a complete twat out of him. I then realized the language he spoke and understood. I like to think that I may have changed his life for the better because as far as I could see, until that point, he had all the common hallmarks of a thug who's grad school was probably going to be a prison.

IRM

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Don't panic! Don't panic! Calm down!

We don't have a big knife problem in our schools. The media has a slight hangover from last years panic attack about youths with knives. Some ***hole kids wear the vest as a status symbol. A lot of the kids have hollow, meaningless lives and choose to believe they are important in some way. Lets be realistic, the vests are likely 1.4kg 'not recommended for use' and worn without a jacket so everyone will know. If I was kid living in an area with any knife crime and I read the media, I'd be going to school and sleeping in a GI ballistic vest too.

Media panic has scared the crap out of a huge section of adult society! What the hell does it do to the children?! In recent years we've had the Polish, immigrants, Islamic terrorists, black rapists, underage mums and teenage knife carriers. The media helps to build society in its own image.

It's early in 2009 and I don't know who we're gonna give a media kicking to yet
It's a recession, my money is that this year we'll give the mega rich a kicking.

CX

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Definately not new news, kids have been wearing protective vests for years here, i know there was a report similar to this a couple of years ago when the stabbings were being highlighted in the news.

There was talk of protective backpacks too.

CX.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
More useless news coverage giving you the false impression that theres a "problem" with gangs. The real problem is the schools not the kids. Give it up already.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join