It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is the current depression different than the great depression?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I know a lot of people are struggling right now. I know we are in something because of the ridiculous that I have to do to afford my bills.
Exactly one year a go I was making $1500/month. I had $300-$500 leftover every month which I spent on car maintence and saving up to get a bigger apartment. I work on commission which is based upon the economy. I noticed in September 2008 my income dropping to $1000/month. This happened in one month. I thought it was just the slump but when it dropped every month with no recovery I began to realize how serious this situation is. I now make $700-750 per month that is when I actually get a paycheck. My company can not afford to resend me my paycheck if it is lost in the mail. Without a paycheck I live on my disablity of $645 a month. I only make $100 a month from my income and work 30 hours a week. This equates to $3.33/hour. Since this happened I had to get rid of all luxeries. I do not miss those luxeries but now I have to not pay one bill per month. This is what I do to cut costs: Alternate between paying electricty and paying phone/internet. (I need phone for my job which is work from home and internet for online courses.), I only do laundry once a month, I wash towels and washclothes in my bathtub with hand soap; I use anti bacterial hand soap and dish washing liquid to wash down sinks, toliet, bath tub and surfaces, I cut out breakfasts completely; I drink only one bottle of water per day, I am cutting out basic cable when I get my converter box that my sister is buying me, I buy cheap food and make one meal into several meals over one or two days, I use grocery bags for trash bags, I rarely use lights and turn off heat when it gets above the freezing point, I turn off anything and unplug somethings when not in use, I aviod getting sick so I do not have drs bills, I stay at home most of the time so to coserve gas, I never pay more than $10 in gas per week, I wash my hair 3 times a week to conserve shampoo, I only brush my teeth once or twice a day because I only have one tube of toothpaste that must last a month, I ask people to only use one square of toilet paper that is what I do, I go the dollar general and dollar tree only to get neede items. If I can't get it at a cheap store I do not need it. I do all this and yet still come up $10-$30 short per month. My rent is 565 and I always pay it no matter what. I cut luxeries such as oil changes, snacks,working windsheild wipers,socks,(I only have 3 pairs), clean daily clothes, pimple cream,medicine when sick,dental care,hair cuts,visiting my family,and more. This is in the best country in the world?
The difference is that in the 1930s people where not used to having as much. The 1920s may have been good yet we were still more primitive as opposed to know. Even in 1920s most people did not have electricty, ac or heating.
I know that I will be able to make it because I have found a way to make it now on very little. If I have to wash laundry by hand I will. In fact I lay my towels out to dry on my patio. I have stocked up on food and have an emergency stash that I never touch. I have learned to live on very little and I can learn to cut out more it need be. In fact I am preparing for more cuts. I actually lowered my internet speed to a dataline but I am willing to do dialup if it is cheaper. I even thought about getting wireless internet and not signing a new lease on my apartment I am on the section 8 housing waiting list that may be 2 years from now. I am not sure where I will go but I will NEVER give up my college education. I have lowered my standards for living so much it has cut down the quality of life; in fact life is more about survival for me not prusuing happiness. Even if this isn't labeled a great drepression; this is definitely my great depression.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sagrado

Yeah well, millions of people starved to death during the last depression. So, I don't think they made it out ok. Never mind all the people that died in revolts, riots and violent protests.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
People straving to death is awful but honestly once a person starves to death it is too late to save them. Maybe I am not as bad off as I think yet but I am being proactive. I may be starving or homeless if this depression/recession gets worse. Even though things are bad I still try to hink of ways to help others. If other peoplejust help each other out we might be ok.

<< 1   >>

join