It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today, I Realized Why America is Losing the War on Terror

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I can see that the culture of fear has found its way to ATS as well. Some of the responses show that my post has generated fear in the minds of some because, well, its disagreeable. Not to mention some arguments on completely irrelevent matters.

On an individual and societal basis, we Americans have forgotten how to live, it seems. We put too much pressure on one another, we always look for somebody to blame, and we worry far too much. Its part of that notion of the American Dream, where seemingly everything is in our control as individuals. Unfortuantely, as 9/11 and the Iraq War shows, there is very little that is under our control. How many people really do with their lives what they wanted to do with it since they were five years old? Not many. My dream job is one of military service to this country, but I have to be prepared for the fact I may not be destined for that. Its an awful thing to deal with, but that's life, is it not?

Its the same principle at work when it comes to the War on Terror. We feel like we can control it, but the truth is, we can't. Terrorists are out to change our feelings and our way of life, like someone pointed out. We cannot always prevent the attack from occuring and the fact terrorism is an unconventional threat means there really is no way to fully defend from terror. But what we can control is how we feel, how we wake up each day, how we view the world. Do what we have to do, invade other countries, hire more police officers, do whatever has to be done. But why not do it with a smile on our faces? Why not do it with a genuine sense of loyalty, pride, and empathy for the citizenry they are sworn to protect? Sometimes I get the sense our protectors resent the fact they defend us and even resent themselves.

It really is all a matter of attitude. Its not what they do, but how they do it. Winston Churchill (I believe) once said a war is won by the one who smiles the most. What I see on the faces of those sworn to defend us are the furthest thing from a smile. Instead, I see looks of disgust, sadness, detachment, or even apathy. Yet when I see a video of a terrorist, I always see the beginnings of a very smug grin.

There is something wrong here.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam
How can you teach a kid the rights and bill of rights or the constitution when that kid never grew up and has yet to go through life to be educated learn and then have the analytical capability to understand a problem in proper perspective. I came across very intelligent people on ATS and I am proud to be part of it. I can feel your emotions. Don't waste your energy on people that don't understand. It takes a scientist to understand the viewpoint of a scientist.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yes, by all means. If you can't refute what I say, then run away.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'll admit, I'm confused by the original post. Because a police officer or few were 'cold' towards you, you believe this the reason why "America is Losing the War on Terror"? Are you suggesting that if the police are more friendly in Washington D.C. then our soldiers overseas would combat improvised explosive devices and gun-wielding Taliban militants better? There's a very good thread on ATS right now about customers being hostile towards grocery store clerks...maybe if we were nicer to the people who checked our groceries, stop cursing at the driver ahead of us, and cut back on condemnation of the government at every paranoid suspicion then perhaps all Taliban militants will be impressed by our move towards global peace and put down their weapons. I wouldn't count on it, but instead of pointing fingers at the police (or anyone else for that matter) let's get our own lives straight first.

Originally posted by charlie0
It takes a scientist to understand the viewpoint of a scientist.

As a scientist, I disagree. Simply put before becoming one, I needed to learn from and understand the viewpoint of scientists. Only then was I hired into the role.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If you have a problem with security and your freedoms then don't go to the inauguration.

I could care less if they tap my lines, watch what or where I go online or search me when I go into a high security risk place. It's for a good cause.

The last time I checked we were winning the war on terror.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The US is losing the war on terror because it's a lose lose situation. It was designed never to be won, it was designed to bring the US to it's knee's, suck the freedom and wealth out of the people and end up in either a civil war or a totalitarian regime or both. Who designed it is of secondary importance.

The only way to win the the War on (nay, of) Terror is to realise there is nothing to fight, it's a statistical insignificance, and get on with life and love.

Which is akin to saying: wake up.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If people didn't shoot our presidents, we would not need security.

Assassinations:

Abraham Lincoln (1865)

James Garfield (1881)

William McKinley (1901)

John F. Kennedy (1963)

Presidential Assassination attempts:

Andrew Jackson (1835)

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933) (as President-elect)

Harry S Truman (1950)

Gerald Ford (1975)

Ronald Reagan (1981)

www.presidentsusa.net...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer
Yes, by all means. If you can't refute what I say, then run away.

????? That makes very little sense????

I began refuting your points already. What more do you need? I can hold your hand and go point by point if you want?!?!? You made no points of significance at all. Do you truely beleive that because the "enemies" body count is higher that we are winning??? Really? Isn't that something to be expected in an asymetrical war? You are just spouting nonsense. Give me a true statistic that shows we are winning this war on a tactic? Suicide bombings are still happening, terrorists still exist everywhere. What has changed to make you think we are "winning"?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by crmanager

except that it's not particularly a free country and it tends to promote dictatorial regimes repressive governments, of course.

Huh?

I assume you are just as anti-american as the poster so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Not a particulary free country...ok. Find a more free country. Just one. I'll wait...

We are the foundation of freemdom in the world today. Please do not respond with THE PATRIOT ACT. You can't name ONE civil liberty lost.

repessive governments...

whatever

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
How can America be losing the WOT when its bogus in the first place. If you mean you want to use staged terrorist attacks as a means to instill fear and suspicion in the people then yes its been a success. If you want to use the same events to launch illegal wars then yes thats been a success as well. So from that point of view the plan is on track and working well.

All that is missing now is more false flag attacks as an excuse to invade Iran or anyone else whose on the perps hit list.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451

I could care less if they tap my lines, watch what or where I go online or search me when I go into a high security risk place. It's for a good cause.

The last time I checked we were winning the war on terror.

Well said comrade! You are a shining example to the party! Promise that you'll march in the next Freedom Day parade! There will be plenty of shiny tanks, missiles, and a huge brass band! Thousands will come, if only to admire your dedication to freedom!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
America, the foundation of freedom, are you serious, obviously not. America is now a full blown Fascist state with all the trimmings. And don't bother calling me anti American, if thats all you have I pity you.

The American public right now are like a bunch of rabbits caught in the headlights and don't know which way to run. For all the bull about freedom and liberty your guns and all the rest of the hog wash you are incapable of doing anything. A mere former shadow of the brave Americans that fought off the yoke of English tyranny.

What we have today is a people that has allowed a corrupt Government to take the country down the sewer. The country is almost bankcrupt, has a worthless currency, draconian laws, falling health and education standards, corruption at every level of Government, more and more people losing their homes and jobs, more people in prisons than anywhere else and millions in mental institutions. Yes its sounds a sweet place to live does it not.

I feel sorry for all those real Americans who have worked hard all their lives to see everything taken away from them, to endure the sleaze, robbery and corruption foisted on them by the Goverment, companies and individuals who have lined their own pockets at the expense of the people. And all those families that have lost loved ones who died fighting wars for profit and greed.

Lets just hope that the real Americans may emerge to wash out the perps and their brain dead supporters. Lets hope that before they lose their guns they get the chance to use them just as their forebears did.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm really not surprised that we cannot win the war on terror. With a state or nation you can destroy it's infrastructure, bomb it's military bases, and capture the capitol. You can dominate and subject your military power. Terrorism, though, you're fighting individuals. Ideologies. I don't care how prepared you are or how good your intelligence is. You'll never "win" against terrorism, at least, not without stripping away everything you're trying to protect. It's the height of silliness to think you could wage a war on it.

It's been over 200 years since the days of Henry Morgan (Black Beard), and yet, pirates still make the headlines. They've been around since the very beginnings of naval history, and they will be around til it's final chapters are written.

Drugs are another example. 40 years into the "War on Drugs", and where are we? We couldn't win the War on Alcohol either, and at least that one the Government actively surrendered by repealing the 18th amendment.

We cannot win the war on Terror, for the same reason we cannot win the wars against Piracy, Drugs, Alcohol, etc.

I just hope America continues to steer clear of the post-9/11 paranoia and fearmongering, and that some of the damage Bush has done is repaired. I'd rather live with the danger of terrorism, than to live in fear and suspicion.

Forgive the cheesy reference. I remember a speech Capt. Picard gave during an episode of Star Trek TNG during an episode called "The Drumhead".

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. ~ Picard"

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You're going to find disagreeing opinions on a conspiracy theory message board and I am one of those disagreeable types. The War on Terror is a farce created by the USA that can be seen by at least a portion of the population. Especially by some who post here. It can be ended just as quickly by the USA, but I doubt it ever will.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well done on realizing that the war on terror is a work of propaganda placed upon you by your own government in order to keep you under control, now the question is what are you going to do about it ?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
" that's why america cannot win this war, it is a war against an idea, an emotional outburst and a tactic, more or less. how can you have a war on such abstract concepts, what a ridiculous premise. "

This is the tangible point in the thread. How exactly is a war on terror supposed to be won? Where is the Govt that will surrender....who will sign the document of armistice. We may as well be fighting the war on fear, we will have the same result.

it was truly insane to watch USA leadership go along with invading Iraq using the war on terror as an excuse. There is enough Shame to go around Washington DC several times, senators, congressman and advisors alike.
This war was a tragic sham. Hopefully in the near future people in the rooms where decisions were made will come forward to set the record straight to who said what and how the president of the United States could have been so arrogant.

The War on terror will never be won, we are taking the same arrogant road President Bush did, thinking that somehow we can stamp out people that dont agree with our foreign policy. The only thing we have done in Iraq is create another generation of people that remember who killed or maimed their family

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The war on terror is a hoax. Terrorism is real and you can fight, but never win. Really admire Americans love for their country, but pride can somewhat cloud once perception of reality. Still its hopeful that many are able to see the big picture and understand what the war is all about.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the war on terror really is -
Is there one?
Or is it just what it has always been...
- people from different countries/religions and races fighting with each other - unable to evolve into a place of peace.
It has always been this way.
The "war on terror" syndrome is a myth that instigates more of the same behavior.

In regards to the police - etc - being nasty -
Well - let's just say - they are no different than the rest of us - they are likely struggling too. I would suspect they are noticing the rise in food prices - concern for their financial status - and their families.
They are just people who are also on this planet - frustrated, confused and angry by this drastic transformation.

The real issue is -
these folks - are in a "control the masses" position....
and they have guns.
This is unfortunate.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
"War on terror" there is no such thing! It is only what the government call it to justifie yet another war..same same as always. The thing is that USA is used to fight wars "over there" How can you be suprised? Most people of this worlds habitants never did agree and still does not agree on this INVASION. This is not hate against the citizents of the USa, i beleive there are just as many good people there as anywhere else, you guys have the greatest propaganda artilleri against you..thats all, you grow up in war and live in war. ALWAYS invading other countries.
There is no WOT!
Peace.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
History 101:
The Taliban in Afghanistan was under the employ of the U.S. to help break up the Soviet Union. When that job was done, they were left without a job. They didn't like this. Instead of attacking merely the government of the U.S., they hit U.S. citizens which is considered 'below the belt' aka terrorism. Thus the U.S. has been working to hunt down and eliminate the Taliban.

The only war that terror is winning against the body of America is one of proganda, people buy into the fear and anti-americanism. People don't fear because there is reason to, they fear because they're told to. If we reported on the severity of car accidents killing over a million people a year (which is truth) then that is what we'd fear. How many American civilians got killed by terrorism the last 5 years? Last 8 years? On the whole, people who live in America don't hate America, they like to join this international singing fad to fit in. "I have a friend in England that says George Bush is a twit. See how cultured I am?"

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join