It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today, I Realized Why America is Losing the War on Terror

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Personally I think what you are seeing is the result of Military Preference in the hiring of police officers. Military personnel are trained with a Us/Them, Good Guys/Enemy mindset. You are either one of them or you are one of the enemy. It very definitely shows up in their attitudes toward civilians. As long as Military personnel are preferred in the hiring process of Law Enforcement, expect the situation to get worse, and the police to act more like Military Units rather then Police.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
OP I have to say I agree with you. The very moment we let the Terrorists change our way of life, we lost the battle. We have compromised our beliefs to support our fears. As Americans we should of made it our task to find a better way to deal with this situation we now find ourselves in. Sadly many could not see what we were doing at the time because we had forgotten who we were. However as Americans we also understand that nothing is beyond our ability to change and grow and I hope that we will soon awaken from this nightmare.

Star and flag for you OP.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Helmkat]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Its not that we are losing the war on terror. The war is happening off of US soil - so to me thats an indicator of us winning the war.

One of the reasons people seem to think we are losing is the part the media plays. They love to show the underdog winning or to show something controversial.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Who here remembers what Benjamin Franklin said about Liberty and Security?

(Image Courtesy of PariotPrintShoppe)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The War on Terrorism? I can fix that! Terrorism doesn't exist! It's all a big ass lie, designed to pull us together to achieve socio-economical objectives.

War is about power, and when you believe in terrorism, you make it reality, thus transferring all the power into somebody else's hands.

If you can't handle the truth, then stop reading this, because time doesn't exist either. There is no future, there is no past, there is only this moment. Don't believe me? Go ask Einstein. Why do you think it looks as if history is repeating itself? It's all now! Wake up!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

We lost the 'war on terror' before it even started in ernest. Terrorists don't do what they do to 'win a war', but to change large scale behavior. When Americans gave up fundamental rights with various legislations that restrict rights is when we lost the war. We capitulated, and change our behavior. Which is exactly what the terrorists wanted.

We should be building the twin towers back exactly as they were. What we shouldn't be doing is building a monument to the success of that attack. Hell, if I were a terrorists even peripherally involved in that attack, I would be waiting so that I could get a touristy picture of myself at that monument. It won't be a monument to those that died there, it will be a monument, and a reminder that the attack was more successfull than anyone could have believed.

Unfortunately, security agencies have an us vs them attitude. If you are not part of the security establishment, you are a liability, and a threat. In that way, the terrorists scored an additional win by turning the security powers on the people.

They already won the 'war', the nation isn't through it's denial that they have won the 'war'.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Yeah, I hear you.

I must say that they are definitely like that in DC. I was at the train station on waiting on my connecting train, and the security and cops walk around and look at you pretty suspiciously. I honestly thought they were gonna pull a Cleveland stunt on me and drag me into a back office and torture me for awhile.

But, hey, keep in mind that the cops aren't necessarily here to protect the people. Just like everything else, they're just a proxy for something else.

The only thing with enough power to get folks to act like that couldn't possibly be terrestrial...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Have you ever thought that this is the very plan of those who rule over us. You dont like your country anymore what does one do? Change it or accept any kind of change. Now I cant promise if you will like or dislike the change or if it will be better or worse.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
The very moment we let the Terrorists change our way of life, we lost the battle. We have compromised our beliefs to support our fears...

Well, on this token, I'd say we've lost already without any fighting even happening on American soil (aside from the instigation of course). If our "war on terror" has anything at all to do with our economy, then they've certainly been able to change my way of life as well as a plethora of my friends and family. Am I alone here? Have "The Terrorists" already won?

How many freedoms do we have to give up forever and allow our so-called judges to create precedent against before we realize we're certainly paying a perpetual personal price. I'm sure our descendants will be most appreciative. And we wonder why children and adolescents have no respect for adults...would you? I'm surprised our ancestors haven't broken out of the dirt and asked, "Why did we even bother?".

But really, who do we have to thank for this kind of spending? Obviously, the war isn't the sole perpetrator of this economic debacle we find ourselves in, but the average economist (even the conservatives) say it's a gigantic piece of the puzzle that has most certainly sped up, if not provided the sole catalyst for our premature demise.

I don't feel I've won anything at all, as we certainly can't say we're fighting for our freedom.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Personally I think what you are seeing is the result of Military Preference in the hiring of police officers. Military personnel are trained with a Us/Them, Good Guys/Enemy mindset. You are either one of them or you are one of the enemy. It very definitely shows up in their attitudes toward civilians. As long as Military personnel are preferred in the hiring process of Law Enforcement, expect the situation to get worse, and the police to act more like Military Units rather then Police.

I hadn't thought about that, but it really does make a lot of sense. There might even be numbers made public about the proportion of LEO that are former military. Like you say, I suspect it's a high proportion. The small effects this has would be magnified by occurring so frequently and could account for the trend. Good theory.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
there is no war, and even if there was a war, america, as an entity, is neither equipped nor capable of defining it, never mind participating in and winning it.

that's why america cannot win this war, it is a war against an idea, an emotional outburst and a tactic, more or less. how can you have a war on such abstract concepts, what a ridiculous premise.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Sad,

If the US is to lose the war on terror it is because of YOU!

You obviously have disdain for the government and any law enforcement agency, reading evil into their hearts that may or may not be there.

As part of the "Crowd control" I am going to read something into you...

As a rent-a-cop you don't like the Police because you can't be one.

Sorry you feel we are "not woth saving." I believe the US is the last/best protector of freedom.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

except that it's not particularly a free country and it tends to promote dictatorial regimes repressive governments, of course.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I have always been very supportive of our law enforcement and intelligence agencies and if they decide deploying snipers on rooftops and four police cars every street block is the way to protect America, then fine so be it

Are you insane? Are you willing to unload all of your rights? Part of the FIRST revolution (The War of Northern Aggression was the second) was the quartering of troops in homes!

Remember your history! Don't be so quick to join up with the nearest "Hitler Jungen" troop!

I understand what you are basically saying. There IS a reason the PTB are nervous. They are being found out and the people are waking up. Evil is always found out whether its committed in the light of day or in a dark back alley. The reason the "law enforcement" (because 90% aren't there to serve the people) is hyper is they have been brainwashed. Too many cops and politicians feel that they are "above the law".

Bad news: They still put their pants on one leg at a time.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It should be pretty obvious to anyone capable of independent thought that the reason America is losing the war on terror in that it is America itself which is the world's most powerful terrorist organization ...

I mean America is definately the '800-pound gorilla' and anybody who disagrees with America long enough and lopudly enough will eventually get the 'Iron Fist' treatment.

If this is not terrorism, then I don't know what is !

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer
First of all I disagree with the premise that we are "losing the global war on terror".

Including those killed on 9/11 and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, we have lost what? About 7000 people.

How many have the bad guys lost? Al-Qaeda and the Taliban have lost about 50,000 by their own admission.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq, the insurgents, and others, have lost hundreds of thousands, if you believe the UN and Amnesty International.

If we accept the idea that militant Islam represents only a small fraction of all Muslems. Let's say 1 percent, then they have a pool of about 15 million t draw from.

The Free People's of the World on the other hand number over a billion and together we have lost less than 10,000 in this fight.

So by any measure it is the terror organizations who are losing.

On the rest of the article about attitudes of the DC police. Right now they are way out numbered and highly stressed. After the Inaugurals are over they will get back to business as usual just like the rest of us. I don't think that there is anything abnormal about it.

Before you ask, yes I have been to DC many times since 9/11.

So we've killed 50,000 brothers, fathers, sons, uncles, nephews, cousins, ect.

Unlike us, they retaliate and dedicate their OWN LIVES to avenge this person, and this is common knowledge.

So by killing 50,000 "terrorists", have we spawned 100,000+?

Also, that is just the "conformed terrorists", now add the civilians to the total which includes women, mothers, daughters, sisters, ect ect.

I do not know the exact amount of civilians that have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I imagine it is a large number.

I am in no place a terror supporter, I think we need to be honest about what had driven these people to feel so strongly about something, that they are willing to give the ultimate sacrifice.

Why do they attack only a handful of countries while leaving other super powers alone?

It is not because we live in a democracy

[edit on 19-1-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I don't think you can ever win this type of war, prevent incidents and kill combatants sure but win, no not really.

Every 'freedom' fighter you kill breeds ten more in mosques, villages, towns etc, the obvious answer is a diplomatic solution and basically really listening to what they want and trying to reach a compromise.

I acknolwedge this is not as easy as it sounds, and there are always factions who wont compromise and want blood.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think too many TV shows and video games have glorified this kind of militaristic mindset. Seems like every kid I see wants to be locked and loaded with all the latest death gizmos.

Apart from that how can you win a war on terror??? That's just ridiculous! Perhaps with justice...but not bombs!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
When will people understand you can NEVER win a "war" on an abstract concept? The war on drugs, war on poverty, etc., was and is just about enacting controls and spending your tax money so someone can make a nice profit.

BTW, didn't they have a "war on illiteracy" at some point? I can't quote the specific stats, but I'm pretty sure there's a sizable amount of people who still can't read... see what these "wars" accomplish?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

So you consider a win or loss of a war based SOLEY on body count? That is one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. All of the "points" you attempt to make are equally ignorant. You cite the FISA courts as "old" news, but don't realize that the uproar was over the admin circumventing the FISA courts, not using them. No one would have had an issue with them following current procedures and laws. It is when they OPENLY began to ignore and circumvent the law that people took issue. The wiretaps were not used to capture call to Osama, in fact that is a TON of evidence that they were used to follow calls between our own soldiers overseas and their loved ones back home. Is that the America you want? It isn't an America I want to see, EVER. You have shown a blind idiotic patriotism in almost all of your statements in this thread. You have NO concept of what these freedoms you think you are protecting even are in place for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join