It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You may have a virus?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm browsing these pages and suddenly the page turns to some lame attempt at putting a virus on my comp or something, should I be expecting more of this in the future? I didn't click any links, it must have been an ad or something that automatically takes me to that page. Something similar to that happened to me another time too.

Are you going to fix this or should I just stop coming here?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You could probably leave, but before you do, would you be able to give me your points?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I have not seen anything like you are describing, not as a registered member or a guest.

At the risk of sounding redundant, have you checked your own machine? I would just think that more people would be complaining about this.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That did not come from us... nor is it likely it came from one of our advertisers.

Can you provide us a screen shot and firewall log the next time this happens?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This thread may be of help to you.

Help! I been redirected from ATS constantly.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I believe this is something that happens if you have used IE 7 lately. It only seems to happen when I have been forced to open IE 7 to browse.

Then when I switch back to Firefox, it happens on that browser too. You need to close out the IE 7 session and clear your cache. The restart FF and clear your cache as well. That should clear it up.

Just another in the numerous holes that is Windows and an apt name might I say.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
To be on the safe side I've gotten firefox and put on noscripts just to be cautious, many have told me I can trust ATS and frankly I can; but as technology improves and advances I feel that I would still use noscripts no matter what.

So for the safe side I'd say download that which can be found here:

addons.mozilla.org...

Sorry mods if this is not allowed (Link posting, I'm not 100% if it is, but if it is please let me know so that I'll know in the future
)

[edit on 18-1-2009 by PoisonousPoison]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PoisonousPoison

Adblock plus is a NO-NO!

from ATS T&C

"4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s). "

That's life!

To be fair, I use it myself but have Disabled it for Abovetopsecret.com.

It's a great program but it's also detectable by some sites...I don't need agro!

[edit on 18/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Thanks for telling me! link has been removed.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You are mistaken, ATS takes great care to remain clean (virus).

Now, that said, SO uses many ports to stopped the access of ATS to your computer.

Some of these ports are know as being used by virus's and can cause a false positive from anti-virus programs.

Seriously, update and run your antivirus program, anti-spyware program(s) and your anti-malware program(s).

Also try cleaning out your cookies and temp files.

I hope this helps, feel free to u2u me more details and some help cleaning up your computer.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I use IE7 and google chrome beta and I haven't had any problem with viruses or being redirected from ATS. I think there is a fair chance your comp. has a bug. Do a virus scan that includes archive files that sometimes turns up stuff that doesn't on a normal scan.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, it must be something with IE, because normally I use Chrome or Firefox but had to switch to IE and was browsing on IE when that happened.

I'm pretty sure that I don't have a virus.

I guess people can do stuff like that without the site owners knowing it, but I never get messages like that on other sites, so I figured it had something to do with this site. I can't imagine why the site owners would want to infect me, so I'll keep browsing here, but NOT in IE.

top topics

join