It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something in the Window

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is a heritage building in a city park. I go on hikes several nights a week to observe wildlife and often walk past this heritage building which is located in a large city park. It is used as an administration and meeting place and is not occupied at night except during Canada Day weekend when commissioners are stationed there to prevent vandalism. It’s an interesting old building so I usually swing my thermal imager over to it when I pass.

On this occasion I noticed something moving in a window. It was about 3am, there were no vehicles in the parking lot and the strangest thing is that thermal imagers are not able to image through glass. I snapped off these images while the object moved around and eventually disappeared. I then moved closer to the window but could see nothing further and took the final picture in the sequence.

Now for some technical background. The images where taken over a period of about 2 minutes and 40 seconds. They are in original sequence with no omissions.

As I said previously thermal imagers can not see through glass. I know the window is closed because if it was open I would see the temperature of the room inside. Instead what I see is the temperature of the glass added to the reflection of the extremely cold sky due to the large angle upward that I am observing from. This makes the window appear black (darker colors mean cold, brighter colors mean warm).

So I don’t know what this is. I haven’t been in this room but I'm guessing because of the features on the outside of the building that the window isn't far from the floor (Maybe someone with a construction background can confirm or correct). It would make sense then that the object was about the size of a small child.

I’m not saying this is a ghost, in fact I would wager my money that it isn’t. I can’t imagine a theory where a ghost would radiate thermally. But I’m without explanation for this.

Now before some of you go assuming that these images are Photoshopped keep in mind that although I can edit these .jpgs the originals have embedded meta data that contains the temperature of every pixel. The metadata is proprietary to the company that makes the thermal imager and it is likely that only someone from the company could manipulate it. I am more than happy to provide the original thermograph files and you can generate new jpg images easily with ThermaCam QuickView which is freeware that translates the temperature data directly into an image. This will also provide calibrated temperature information for each pixel and other analysis tools.

By the way, for you technical people, the thermal imager used was a FLIR E65 Zoom with a 17mm lens, high temp option, latest mother board revision, and current NIST certified calibration. If I remember correctly humidity was around 65%.

I’m willing to entertain any theories!!
Thanks all

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Ok, so just to get a better idea of the circumstances.

Are the lights downstairs on? I only ask because they present a whiter color than that of the upstairs, and you said windows would be black because of reflection.

Unless there was a string of birds flying the exact same path, I have to think whatever it is is behind the widow. Probably a person.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I likewise own a thermal camera, and note that the intermittent "image" is not really warm, as can be seen through the downstairs windows and door.

This is cooler than warm, but warmer than the ambient temperature range of its surroundings.

Actually, you can often get a hit of heat through a window, but this doesn't appear to be one of those.

You may wish to go back, get a bit closer, and try again. A bit closer will give you more detail. The closeness of the final photo may have been too close, and you spooked your subject.

Good shots!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The thermal imager can't see visible light. The lower windows are brighter because they are reflecting ground objects such as buildings, hills, bushes, etc. The object can't be behind the window because thermal imagers cannot see through glass. In fact the lens on a thermal imager has to be made of a special material such as germanium because glass acts like an insulator.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
These images where taken in the summer of 07 (kinda forgot about them). I walk past this building at different times of the night, 2 or 3 times a week and have not seen anything since.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It measures temperature differences, and yes, it can see through windows. It can see through sheetrock, and you can see the wall studs behind wallboard.

What source of heat is being reflected on the bottom floor? Or is this heat generated from inside, from possibly earlier in the day when the building was in use?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Perhaps it Stan Romanek practicing for his next 'alien in the window' dvd?

IRM

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I should probably clarify. Any heat source that warms the glass will make the glass warmer over time. The air temp for instance will heat the entire glass and anything touching the glass will change its temperature in that area which can then be imaged. Is this what you mean? This is what happens with studs behind drywall. The stud can't be "seen" But the effect of it touching the drywall and conducting heat to or away from it can be seen. If the studs where not in contact with the drywall you could not see them. I have never seen an example of something behind glass or a solid object imaged directly.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

You are correct. These are called thermal bridges.

Just the same, I'd try to get some more photos another time. And find out from personnel there if anyone is in the premises, if they heat the premises, and just show them what you have.

They'll likely be glad to share with you any information to help you make a more discerning determination.

Still, that's pretty cool, what you have.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Thanks, Dooper,
I've talked with the commissionaires briefly and they can't explain it but they say the building has a few good stories. Here is the entire building:

top topics

join