It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Analysis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Just China/Porcelain dolls....well as far as i'm away...I dont tend to come into contact with dolls much anyway.

It's been ever since I remember really... One of the earliest time I remember was when there was room full of them on the 6th sense...and I turned the channel over for five minutes, but I know I was scared since before then.

That stoyy reminds me of me and my friend, when we were swimming in the lake, far out, and we saw something huge, almost eel like underneath us, we never swam so fast in our lives.

Aye, you realise how much fear can affect you, and it also puts the fight or flee theory into your head when you see something like that and just run.

Aye, I've never understood why I feel that way either....but again, if i was flying, the type of plane wouldn't bother me, I'd be perfectly happy either way.

And the appendix pain, aye...very severe... wish it was the worst pain I have felt, but as you say, yours burst and mine didn't. But whilst it wasn't quite the worst pain, it was so prolonged, it never died away like pain normally does... The only pain I ave felt worse is when i crushed my finger, very messy, bone clean in half and blood everywhere...but adrenaline took care of that in about 10 minutes, but not my appendix.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

It's been ever since I remember really... One of the earliest time I remember was when there was room full of them on the 6th sense

Very strange indeed. It is an overpower emotion fear, that can effect the daily routine of ones life. I definitley think your fear has grown as time went on.

Like i said in my opening post, what variation of fear do you experience when you think or see a china dolls, Dread, Fratnic, Dismay, Alarm, horror, fright, or is it something else?

I realize their all pretty similar, but their are differences.

Aye, you realise how much fear can affect you, and it also puts the fight or flee theory into your head when you see something like that and just run.

Yes, but not only in my head, in my heart. You can feel the terror strike your hear at the first sight of fear.

And the appendix pain, aye...very severe... wish it was the worst pain I have felt, but as you say, yours burst and mine didn't. But whilst it wasn't quite the worst pain, it was so prolonged, it never died away like pain normally does... The only pain I ave felt worse is when i crushed my finger, very messy, bone clean in half and blood everywhere...but adrenaline took care of that in about 10 minutes, but not my appendix.

When the pain got so severe, i blacked out. So i am kind of happy in that respect.

Adrenaline seems to even pain out, and perhaps even fear.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Ahh, I never got to the point of blacking out, luckily.

And I would say all of the types of fear you listed.

Alarm when I see it, then I panic and want to get away from them, then if I can't fright, dread and horror.

And finally, if they will be near for a prolonged period of time then dismay, for I feel that nothing I do can get rid of it. It feels like a horror movie, if I smash the thing, I will see it again in my room staring at me at night; even though i 'know' it could never happen.

One of those everytime you close your eyes it gets a bit closer feeling. And it's bad enough that typing this reply made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Yes, Alarm is like the first response to something fearful, like i said, it's the point where fear strikes your heart.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

Interesting thread you have hear Arcon.

Hmmm....the origins of fear is something that I wonder about allot myself and my biggest fears would have to be deep water, fish and heights. I think that these things are there from past lives and are left over as experiences from before in whatever incarnation we took.

I usually find if I try and conquer fears that it tends to make the fear worse than what it does beforehand usually resulting in me restricting the height that I am comforable at.

I once was playing around with the wallpaper settings on my computer and accidentally previewed a fish wallpaper and my body immediately repulsed from it and my eyes would not open. I literally could not open my eyes like they were glued shut and I had to call my brother in to change the wallpaper so that fear is pretty strong in me.

Great thread by the way

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Drakiir

Interesting thread you have hear Arcon.

Thank you.

my biggest fears would have to be deep water, fish and heights. I think that these things are there from past lives and are left over as experiences from before in whatever incarnation we took.

It is interesting that perhaps some of these fears are from past lives, is it not?

It kind of makes you wonder.

I usually find if I try and conquer fears that it tends to make the fear worse than what it does beforehand

Interesting, so if you were to go swimming with some fish(one of your fears), you think it would make it worse?

I once was playing around with the wallpaper settings on my computer and accidentally previewed a fish wallpaper and my body immediately repulsed from it and my eyes would not open. I literally could not open my eyes like they were glued shut and I had to call my brother in to change the wallpaper so that fear is pretty strong in me.

Fish, what is it about them that makes you fearful?

Also, what variation of fear would you say it is?

Great thread by the way

Thanks again!

[edit on 19-1-2009 by darcon]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Ok - I'll go ahead and post mine..

What do YOU fear?
Spiders. Not really little ones so much. But big crawly ones..oh yeah.

Why is it you think you FEAR this?
You know, I honestly really have no idea. I don't remember a bad exp. with one as a child.

Have you developed this over time?, or did you always feel that way since birth or early childhood?
As far as I can remember I've always had it.

Have you ever overcame a certain FEAR?
I used to be afraid of public speaking. But, I had to do some and overcame it.

Do you believe past life experiences might have sometihng to do with peoples fears?
Its possible. I've had a past life regression and even some flashbacks. But not came up with anything spider related yet. Not to say its not there somewhere thou.

Out of the listed variations of FEAR(or any other one you can think of) which do you think is worse, i realize they all are terrible, but which one in your opinion do you think is the worst?
Dang .. now I didn't copy that one down and can't remember the full list.
Mind numbing frightis very bad. As is dread - like seeing a hurricane on the TV and knowing your house is in its path.

If you were to choose an emotion opposite of Fear, what would it be?
hmm..I'd say calm.

There are also many people who have Nightmares, what do you make of this? Perhaps it is an inner reflection of our unconscious fears?
I think you probably hit the nail on the proverbial head there.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Hey thanks for coming foreward and sharing you r fears, and opinion.

Its possible. I've had a past life regression and even some flashbacks. But not came up with anything spider related yet. Not to say its not there somewhere thou.

That is very interesting, i dont want to go off topic, but what kind of flashbacks?

As is dread - like seeing a hurricane on the TV and knowing your house is in its path.

Yes, that is the one i picked.

hmm..I'd say calm.

funny, you are the second to say that.

I think you probably hit the nail on the proverbial head there.

Thank you!

and thanks again for posting

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drakiir
reply to post by darcon

Hmmm....the origins of fear is something that I wonder about alot myself and my biggest fears would have to be deep water, fish and heights.

What is it about fish and heights hey! I would say my fear of sharks is a little larger than yours of fish but they still have fins and swim in water. Why do people fear creatures of the deep I wonder?

But yes Drakiir Im totally with you on the heights thing, do you grab onto the solid objects next to you at height for balance? I go all dizzy and loose the ability to speak at real heights, its terrible. Old castles are the worse, those with no rails when you can fall 50 foot into some dungeon. Bar walls too around the castle, so high with no rails. Those medieval soldiers must have had it tough.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I fear big dogs. Not little dogs, just ones that could overpower me and tear me to shreds. It's been instilled in me since childhood because my father fears dogs and would remind me why I should be scared. I was also bitten by a dog ... no wonder. Some things he taught me to fear, and although going overboard with him detailing why, it has saved my life when I had to use his advice.

I also have somewhat of a fear of wasps or bees, and again this is my mother's fault, if I can lay blame. As a child, we had alot of rose bushes in our garden. One day she caught me playing with the bees. I played with them every day. I would touch them and thought of them as fluffy little pets, and they never stung me. She said "what are you doing? They will sting you!". After that I was taught they posed a danger. We also used to play in a place that had cockroaches, and same thing as the bees, they didn't scare me at all.

Children don't know or care, until they're told why they should. So I would say fear can be instilled or taught.

I don't fear spiders.

I've overcome fears I have of other things.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I fear big dogs. Not little dogs, just ones that could overpower me and tear me to shreds. It's been instilled in me since childhood because my father fears dogs and would remind me why I should be scared. I was also bitten by a dog ... no wonder. Some things he taught me to fear, and although going overboard with him detailing why, it has saved my life when I had to use his advice.

Woah, it would seem, that although your natural fear of big dogs was intilled by your father, it has saved your life.

Perhaps there is a reason why some people fear certain things.

Children don't know or care, until they're told why they should. So I would say fear can be instilled or taught.

Yes, much it seems of peoples fears are because of people close to them, or life experience.

Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by darcon
reply to post by violet

Woah, it would seem, that although your natural fear of big dogs was intilled by your father, it has saved your life.

Perhaps there is a reason why some people fear certain things.

Yes, much it seems of peoples fears are because of people close to them, or life experience.

I should clarify the saving my life part wasn't about a dog. I was only bitten on the hand by a dog, and they say a dog senses fear and may attack or bite for that reason. I have however been visciously attacked by a crazed cat, but that's another story! I'm not however scared of cats because of that.

I would definitely say he saved my life from teaching me other dangers that lurk. It was about being cautious, knowing what to fear and to know what to do, should you find yourself in a potentially life threatening situation, in which case I did. So I totally agree with the part where you said some fear is good to have. It just wouldn't do to go around not being scared of anything. In certain situations you should never let your guard down.

Some people lack fear or sensibility and that can have consequences too. These may be people that are risk takers, uninformed and the gamble doesn't always pay off.

I have to admit I'm stumped on what I'd say is the opposite of fear. Fear has so many levels, variations and causes, or some people have irrational unfounded fears, that it's opposite could be so many other emotions and causes for each of those.

Good thread Darcon

[edit on 21-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I should clarify the saving my life part wasn't about a dog. I was only bitten on the hand by a dog, and they say a dog senses fear and may attack or bite for that reason. I have however been visciously attacked by a crazed cat, but that's another story! I'm not however scared of cats because of that.

Ahh, sorry for the misunderstanding

It just wouldn't do to go around not being scared of anything. In certain situations you should never let your guard down

Yep, with that being said though, it is not good to fear everything, balance is needed.

I have to admit I'm stumped on what I'd say is the opposite of fear. Fear has so many levels, variations and causes, or some people have irrational unfounded fears, that it's opposite could be so many other emotions and causes for each of those.

Hard to pick!

Good thread Darcon

thanks

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What do YOU fear?
Spiders. Becoming the prey of something far worse than any wild animal.

Why is it you think you FEAR this?
Because I have sensed and seen glipses of what it may be.

Have you developed this over time?, or did you always feel that way since birth or early childhood?
Always

Have you ever overcame a certain FEAR?
Yes many. Fear of heights, deep water, fire, fear of traveling in elevators.
Still working on spiders.

Do you believe past life experiences might have sometihng to do with peoples fears?
Undecided.

Out of the listed variations of FEAR(or any other one you can think of) which do you think is worse, i realize they all are terrible, but which one in your opinion do you think is the worst?

That moment of when you look your fear in the eyes and realise there's no turning back.

If you were to choose an emotion opposite of Fear, what would it be?
Tranquility

There are also many people who have Nightmares, what do you make of this? Perhaps it is an inner reflection of our unconscious fears?
Perhaps or your subconcious pointing something important out to you that may have passed you by unnoticed otherwise.

Once again great thread Darcon.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Odd this topic came up.

I used to pity those shaman, holy men, and such who had abandoned all earthly pursuits as a young man, but those were the very ones with the least amount of fears.

In life, struggle, and where I learned this - war - only when emptied, does one find oneself complete. Empty, there can be no defeats. No expectations - no fears - no defeats.

Empty, there are no weaknesses, no fears, no baggage. Empty, and thus complete, one can always achieve victory over one's enemies, and even fear.

Empty is all business. Cold, rational, self-serving, and thus all actions can be performed without hesitation. Empty, there is no downside. Empty has no room for hope. Hope creates fear itself by its nature. No hope, no fear. Empty. Empty defeats all fear.

In combat, I learned that hesitation is to die. When action is called for, to hesitate is to die. Empty, there can be no reason for hesitation, and thus no hesitation. Without hesitation, there are few surprises, and no room for second-guessing. Empty, nothing is left to chance. Empty, you determine your own fate.

For example in war, where fear is most elevated, the hope of survival is the source of fear. You empty yourself of hope, convinced that sooner or later you will perish, and only seek to take care of the moment. You then have no fear.

The only way a person can be held hostage to fear is two-fold. The first problem is a feature of perceived value. The second feature is that one looks at potential loss (fear) from their own perspective.

Never, ever, look at a problem from a strictly short-term cost, and rather, hold nothing of value. If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to fear. In war, you always consider not your own potential for loss, but the other side, what they hold valuable, and more important, how valuable? How can THEY handle the loss?

Thus, fear is all on their side, and none on mine.

My apologies for busting in with this bit, but it's the only part of fear and its diminishment that I'm certain of.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Have fear and you will always fear something. Set yourself free from fear and you will be free from your inner most terror.

People who encourage fear are the absolute negative force of humanity and will pay eventually with karmic balance. Karmic balance is a very powerful universal force, that should not be taken lightly.

I state now I fear nothing. This is how I seek knowledge, for nothing is given to those in fear.

Remember my friend, reject fear, I think it does us no good what so ever!

Much love to you Ms Green.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

Hey IAmD1 thanks!

I too am afraid of spiders. Not an overwhelming fear of them, but a fear no less.

Thanks for your post

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Empty is all business. Cold, rational, self-serving, and thus all actions can be performed without hesitation. Empty, there is no downside. Empty has no room for hope. Hope creates fear itself by its nature. No hope, no fear. Empty. Empty defeats all fear

For me, to be empty is to be dead. For i would rather fear everything in this world and the next, than rather to be indifferent.

I have never been to war, so i do not know how that feels.

I do know this though, i would rather die, than to feel nothing, to be cold and empty.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

Though it is not good to fear everything in this world, i would have to disagree.

Sometimes fear is there for a reason.

Some say to fear nothing, is to feel nothing.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

darcon, I didn't say indifferent. I can see how this would easily be assumed, but indifference is the worst state of mind a person can have. Cold or hot, but never, ever be lukewarm.

And I apologize again for messing up your thread. This isn't really the place, but the ideas on fear compelled me to respond.

Empty, one is free to act on the moment, without fears, and thus one is most efficient without any extra baggage.

I heard the line in a script somewhere to a guy who was scared, something like, "your problem is that you think there is still hope. There is none. We're all going to die here, and the sooner you realize you're already dead, the sooner you can perform your duty."

Empty.

No expectations - no fears.

Nothing to lose - no fear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join