It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's take a look at the second line phenomena

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I have noticed a great increase of members being a bit over concerned about the second line added to a single line post.

I understood the reason for the mods taking issue with one liners is one of the type of posts that say something like

"cool post"

Or "right on"

And this kind of response that only serves to show that they liked what a poster or the content of the thread has represented.

I have seen staff explain that it is okay to throw out a one liner that has substance and conveys a message that adds to the content of the thread, or asks a question that is to clarify a post.

The recent influx of sometimes silly second lines to avoid mod interference is misunderstood.

One liners can be a useful addition to the thread.

I hope or wish a Mod would come to this thread and explain better what I am eluding too.

It just seems that it is distracting when someone makes up something silly to create a second line.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It should be a 'case-by-case' issue, as some one liners contain enough substance to stand on their own merit without having to force feed another line...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

"cool post" "Right on" :up

Under ATS regulation 23c, I am adding this line for fear of death...:

MOd Edit

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I agree, but I think many members are confused about what and why the one liner is an issue.

That is why I hope a mod will come on and reiterate the meaning of limiting one liners!

Thanks for responding

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Hahaha!

Okay that hahaha is an example of an unacceptable one liner!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
One of the most famous one liners...Aw Nuts! - General Anthony Clement McAuliffe - when asked to reply to the Germans ultimatum for his troops surrender during the Battle of the Bulge.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

You knew somebody would right?

Also, in the ATS handbook, section 42...... na....I'm kidding.

Good thread though

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Perhaps this one is a good example?

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
i dont get why peple dont just pad out what they have to say to cover a few lines. If you explain your point more it might help some people understand what you're saying even if you dont say anything else of substance.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Exactly

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

"cool post" "Right on" :up

Under ATS regulation 23c, I am adding this line for fear of death...:

MOd Edit

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by elevatedone]

THis is NOT what to do in a thread.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I have seen staff explain that it is okay to throw out a one liner that has substance and conveys a message that adds to the content of the thread, or asks a question that is to clarify a post.

The recent influx of sometimes silly second lines to avoid mod interference is misunderstood.

One liners can be a useful addition to the thread.

That sums it up nicely.

I actually hate the "not a one line post" or "second line" comments more than the one liners themselves. In fact they draw attention to the fact you are posting one line of "substance".

Sometimes it's better not to attract attention to yourself.

[edit on 18 Jan 09 by Gools]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The whole idea of the rule is to prevent pointless responses like "Great post" or "I agree", "
, "S&F" and so on.

If a one line response is something that adds to the thread such as a question to further the discussion or a short insight into the premise of the thread then there is no problem.

It's the content that is relative to whether it is a one line post not the actual length of the post itself.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Or what the other two said.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
At least people are trying to follow the rules, as literally as they take it, gotta give em credit for that?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sara1
At least people are trying to follow the rules, as literally as they take it, gotta give em credit for that?

True, but sometimes the second line entry is used as a form of sarcasm to mock the rule.

And there are also the cases where members just don't understand why the site sometimes corrects the useless one liners.

I mean we all like to feel reinforced with our posts, but it is also beneficial to say why we like the post we are commenting on. It adds to the discussion that way.

Personally I think the mods that stepped into the thread made the point clearly.

Love ya, love your show.

IA

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Ah I didn't know that (haven't been around too long). Well in that case if someone uses sarcasm to mock the rule I can see how it would be annoying.
Maybe there needs to be a rewording of that bit the ToS when you make a new account. Buuut it's probably just a long established mentality hanging around to begin with.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I honestly thought that it HAD to be more than one line regardless of how much substience the first line had. I do appoligize for being guilty of saying "second line" for the second line.

Now I know.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I have to say that this thread has made me laugh more than any other recent thread.

And my second line has purpose! What was that famous one-liner about the Battle of the Bulge? I'm still in suspense.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
I have to say that this thread has made me laugh more than any other recent thread.

And my second line has purpose! What was that famous one-liner about the Battle of the Bulge? I'm still in suspense.

Really? I am glad you got a laugh from it. Lightening up some of seriousness around here adds much to the experience, at least for me.

I also don't know about the one liner from battle of the bulge. I could guess and say "Pull your chair away from the table"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join