It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woolly Mammoth and Dodo coming back?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Wolly Mammoth and Dodo coming back?

www.mirror.co.uk

In November, geneticists published a near-complete DNA blueprint for the woolly mammoth, increasing speculation about the possibility of reviving the creature 10,000 years after it disappeared from the Earth.

This would involve cloning or tinkering with an elephant genome to remove the genetic differences between the species.
Such an ambitious goal is not possible with today's technology, but some experts believe it is only a matter of time before extinct mammals are brought back to life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Neanderthal humans, sabre-toothed tigers, giant sloths and the dodo could all qualify for resurrection using preserved DNA, it was claimed today.

Sounds like we're not that far off from creating our own Jurassic Park afterall, really you have to read this. It's only a matter of time before Ned the Neandrathal, Willy the Woolly Mammoth and Dan the Dodo are back in action. =D

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think they have been able to get some very very good tissue samples from the Mammoths because of the conditions they were found in... and maybe their sheer bulk?? I think DNA of that age and quality is increasable hard to come by. No Jurassic park I think, one or two species from that era maybe.

But there's always more recent species that have gone extinct - not as cool as a T-rex though

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well they just gotta find that mosquito right? That would actually be possible.

As far as the rest, atleast we will get to fly over in a helicopter and watch the neandrathals try and learn how to make fire and beat eachother with clubs, I mean that is the human in us. I wouldn't miss that for the life of me, Wolly Mammoths barbariclly rampaging the Neandrathal tribes, then they learn how to make stone spears.... hehehehehe I would love that. I reccomend we do stick them out in hawaii to =D

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I was thinking they would stick them on an uninhabited island, then set up cameras and create a pay-per-view channel to watch and see what happens. It's like Reality TV, only more realistic!

I agree though, it would be cool to see some extinct species alive and on the move.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Interesting, if they were to bring back the dodo then the phrase 'it went the way of the dodo" could very well umm... go the way of the dodo.

Seriously though, Ive heard abou that before. Its very fascinating to read about.

I can't help but wonder though, how would those extinct animals react to todays environment? If we were to recreate a neandrathal man, would he/she just be locked up in a cage for its whole life only to be poked and prodded by scientists all day? that doesnt seem like much of a life if that is going to be the case.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
If we were to recreate a neandrathal man, would he/she just be locked up in a cage for its whole life only to be poked and prodded by scientists all day? that doesnt seem like much of a life if that is going to be the case.

Make sure they are clean shaven and wearing a suit and get them to work security on the doors
If you can teach them to read car numberplate's and write the tickets they could be traffic wardens...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Is it really wise to mess with nature like this, If it were possible someday?
Hasn't Jurassic Park taught anyone anything?!?

Seriously though, I'm betting they're extinct for a reason and couldn't survive in our current time, or destroy the already fragile balance of things.

It's like science wants to do it just because they can, not because they should.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

It'd be no different that video taping how tribal south americans and africans live.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Well they just gotta find that mosquito right? That would actually be possible.

As far as the rest, atleast we will get to fly over in a helicopter and watch the neandrathals try and learn how to make fire and beat eachother with clubs, I mean that is the human in us. I wouldn't miss that for the life of me, Wolly Mammoths barbariclly rampaging the Neandrathal tribes, then they learn how to make stone spears.... hehehehehe I would love that. I reccomend we do stick them out in hawaii to =D

so you would expect a Neanderthal baby to bring itself up an teach itself neanderthal ways, instinctively knowing which foods to eat and how to hunt.
same for the wooly mammoth, it would first have to be raised with elephants and would just become a wooly elephant, long lived mamals like Humans, Apes as well as elephants learn from their parents about where to find food and water, placing Neanderthal as well as wooly mamoths on a reserve would give you some very young bones of some very old species.

man didn't discover fire and stone tools over night

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

So from my understanding, you think it would be cloned only for observation?

Perhaps at first. My biggest concern is that science places no (moral) limits on itself.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
why even bother, apart from zoo attractions and maybe meat, what is the point?
Seriously, if you bring back the mammoth then all you have is a hairy "white elephant", the dodo I suppose can be used to replace chicken or something, mmmmmmmm id pay top dollar to see what it tastes like marinated with some orange juice and stuffed with mixed herb stuffing!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Get 10 of the babies produced.
Take some survivalist hippies and stick them out in the jungle with the babies.

Bam. Boom.

Alas.

Neandrathals as we portrayed them to be.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

And since when has the world been "moral"? Just because one human believes something does not mean another human can't believe something.

Paradox.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Does this mean there shouldn't exist any moral limits because some people have no limit? More respect for life would only do this world some good.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Yes, and somebody please clone a few condors while we were at it, it would be a shame to see those go the way that the dodo didn't go.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

It's in the name of SCIENCE!!!

Would I have a clone? Yes I would, I would tatto myself with a certain marking and allow my clone to have a seperate marking, and he could be my evil twin.

I don't really agree with the whole morally correct thing, I mean come on is it right for China to brainwash EVERY SINGLE ONE of their citizens with propaghanda and life control? (edit)You are forced to pay a fine if not jailed? Males are 80% dominant over there or something wild?

Humans are NOT moral and will not BE moral until we can understand the full boundaries of science and social control, we need to have a world community before morals can even possibly be discussed.

Aside from that. I would enjoy some SCIENTIFIC opinions and not PERSONALLY BIASED opinion.

Thank you for your input.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The only lesson I learned from Jurassic Park is that they were not prepared enough, the money something like this would generate is alone enough to go forward with this project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
"I don't really agree with the whole morally correct thing, I mean come on is it right for China to brainwash EVERY SINGLE ONE of their citizens with propaghanda and life control? You go to jail if not killed if you have more than one baby? Males are 80% dominant over there or something wild?"

Your ignorance is outstanding. No one is "killed" or "imprisoned", in fact there are certain allowances for more than 1 child. Breaking this allowance results in a fine, not the absurd notion u propose

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by Sara1

It's in the name of SCIENCE!!!

Would I have a clone? Yes I would, I would tatto myself with a certain marking and allow my clone to have a seperate marking, and he could be my evil twin.

I don't really agree with the whole morally correct thing, I mean come on is it right for China to brainwash EVERY SINGLE ONE of their citizens with propaghanda and life control? You go to jail if not killed if you have more than one baby? Males are 80% dominant over there or something wild?

Humans are NOT moral and will not BE moral until we can understand the full boundaries of science and social control, we need to have a world community before morals can even possibly be discussed.

Aside from that. I would enjoy some SCIENTIFIC opinions and not PERSONALLY BIASED opinion.

Thank you for your input.

I also would enjoy some scientific opinions and not your own personally biased opinion. Hilarious that I should be criticized for adding my opinion to something just because it differs from your own.

If you want to have a scientific debate with me, I'm game. Just let me get a pot of coffee on! Shall we debate cloning extinct species scientifically then? I'll start by quoting what I've already said and expanding it:

"I'm betting they're extinct for a reason and couldn't survive in our current time, or destroy the already fragile balance of things"

First lets establish that introducing new species to an area is a controversial subject which is probably deserving of its own topic. What we do know about that is that the effects aren't seen immediately and often (but not always) are harmful.

When you introduce a new species you need to consider many things, for one: where is a location most suitable for it. If you think a mammoth raised by elephants would do you're wrong. Woolly mammoths are designed for cold climates, elephants are not.

Lets introduce mammoths to say, the arctic. Now you have a new species competing with existing ones such as polar bears, possibly putting an endagered species at a greater risk.

Who's to say that a mammoth can even survive in this time at all? The climate has changed as well as a number of other factors, such as which other species of plants and animals are around and in what numbers they are. What would its predators be? Is there any way the population would control itself?

Or maybe there simply isn't a suitable environment around for it at all! Maybe they'd die off once again.

The most important question here is, what purpose would there be to cloning these extinct species?

What more can be learned by bringing the species back to life?

Is this all ultimately so people can go to zoos and gawp at them?

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Sara1]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join