It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either we are living in a simulated reality, or the universe is the inside of a living being

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Maybe none of this is actually real, maybe none of us exist, maybe all of this is just a program running on a super computer ran by post-humans or an advanced alien civilization. I mean think about it, just think about how Earth is SO "coincidentally" well-fit for life, and how we got here which was completely luck. Scientists agree that there is a 20% chance of us living in a simulated reality.

I'm a World of Warcraft fan, and I used to play the game constantly, but one of the quotes from a female human /silly makes me ponder. It's this: "Do you ever feel like you're not in charge of your own destiny, like...you're being controlled by an invisible hand?"

That makes me think... How do I know I'm not being controlled, and that all of this isn't some insane MMO played by advanced aliens who get entertainment out of all this, much like we get entertainment out of controlling a character in a game?

And no, it's probably not the Matrix mythos of us being used as batteries, that's stupid and was just a plot-device. Chances are, they just run this simulation to see how we interacted with each other, thousands or millions of years before them. They are literally looking at their ancestors. I'm sure someone somewhere, far above in the physical world is looking at this conversation and laughing at us mindless peons, pondering if we're really in a simulated reality or not.

BUT, what's interesting about the theory of living in a simulated reality, is that there's a 50% chance there's an afterlife, that the creators took mercy on us and made some other program once we die, where we all go. OR, they were bastards and just made it happen like when you delete a file from your recycle bin, gone forever, non-existent. Or perhaps, it may be nearly 100% chance that they did not bother to make an afterlife for us. Did we ever make a afterlife for all the enemies you kill in World of Warcraft? No. Too much effort and they're so intellectually inferior to us that we don't care. Would they think the same? I personally hope not.

There could be a chance also that this is all one massive MMO, sure, it's far-fetched and sounds stupid, but I like thinking about it. I mean how does my character in World of Warcraft know he's controlled? What if he thinks everything he does is on his free will, everything he says he just randomly thinks up, and when I log him off he's asleep or in a state of limbo? I mean someone could be making me type this, but the program is making me believe I'm actually typing this on my free will.

Another fun question is that if our creators in the "physical world", are they REALLY in the real world? Or yet another simulated reality? Will we get to the point of running a simulated reality, a universe such as the Sims series, but much more evolved? Yes, actually, we will, very soon we will have computers fast enough to run such a program, and we will be able to see our own little worlds, evolving, growing, and perhaps living long enough to make their own simulated reality. And then the process repeats.

Maybe our creators were nice enough to give us an afterlife. Free of pain, free of confusion, of course until we're taking up too much memory and they have to delete. There's no way to actually find out. For all we know, everything around us could be a projection our brain has created for us to cope with whatever reality we are really in.

They say "The conditions for life ARE JUST PERFECT on our planet and if off by a fraction of a percent we would be dead, therefore there IS A CREATOR", I have to agree, but not in the sense of one single creator, but several of the post-humans or advanced aliens that created our reality. . You see, therefore, they may be declared as "gods", but I highly doubt it. That is my only explanation to why this planet is so "fit" for life, and we got so "lucky" with evolving into "intelligent" beings.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Okay, believe it or not but listen ,one day we will be able to create completely simulated realities. Does it have to be that day when we stop and ask ourselves "Hmm... this is oddly familiar, feels like I've been here before!" Personally no, I don't think it should be like that, we're on the verge on a technological age beyond any other and very soon we will be able to create completely intelligent universes. Look at the GAMES we already have: Sims, Spore, Little Big Planet, and those are just games. Can you imagine when we can actually create entire digital planets and even universes, not for entertainment but for observation and what-if scenarios? Will it really be then until someone asks 'Oh, are we actually living in a simulated reality, much like the one we've just made?'

The Cave Allegory by Plato
wwww.Simulation-argument.com
www.simulism.org...

Maybe the universe is the inside of a living being? Do you ever wonder why the universe is expanding? Well it's not, it's actually growing. The big bang was when the universe was conceived. Perhaps we are just a nucleus or something, but no wonder space is so dark. Anyone else ever think of something like this? Like how do we honestly know there's not something on the outside of the universe? It's like we're bacteria(humans) on huge electrons(earth and other planets) spinning around a nucleus(Sun).

Atomic structure acts using quantum physics upon the same grounds and pattern than solar systems follow due to gravity and inertia. Solar systems revolve around a galaxy using the same theory and physics of gravity as atoms and solar systems. Galaxies revolve around each other using the same theory, and entire galaxies of galaxies do the same. So allow us to scale infinitly up as from the most tiny quantum particle to the largest galaxy the same forces hold sway, their patterns are the same, and they appear to move in the same path logic. Therefore it can be assumed that the universe itself revolves around something else, following the same logical condition that every other atom in ours currently follows.

Chances are, we're just bacteria, we symbolize cancer perfectly. We destroy and industralize everything we can get our hands on. We kill each other, other "bacteria" along with the planet itself. We find ways to live and adapt because we have the need and will to survive. This fits in with the universe being the inside of a living being, mainly because we have bacteria on ourselves, we can develop cancer, which slowly moves on to other parts of our bodies and then kills us, which ultimately destroys all we are as the bacteria eats away at us, reducing us to nothing but dust. This could be explained in the universe, we could just be cancer, we're small right now, not that advanced, but soon we will move on and start colonizing space, and eventually start spreading which is exactly what cancer does. All we really are is just intelligent bacteria,

You're standing on a the earth, with crazy numbers of planets/stars surrounding you at huge distances apart. Imagine if a proton/neutron was a the earth, and there was a really small person standing on that proton. From there, the person would see what we see when we look up. What if the earth is just a proton is an absolutely huge world? What if each proton as we know them is made up of crazy numbers of sub particles of which one could have ridiculously small people standing on them?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
pics.livejournal.com...

It is the image of a braincell with the theoretical image of the universe next to it. This causes many questions to arrive. What if our universe is merely a brain cell in the mind of a greater being? Assuming this, that would mean there are billions of other universes making up this one mind. Then, what if there are billions of other being living together in a world like ours, each with these universe like brain cells in their head? And they live in a universe like our own which is the brain cell of another being and so on, and so on?

Now on a reverse scale, what if each of our brain cells are their own universe with being like us in it who have brain cells which are smaller universes with beings and so on and so on. What if this was all true? What if the being in which we exist is our god which controls everything? What if we ourselves are gods of billions of other universes and we subconsciously control them? Are our dreams a gateway to the lives of these smaller beings? Does this mean that there is essentially an infinite scale of universes within minds going both ways? And then what about other influences outside of the brain such as medications and drugs? Could these possibly change the workings of these universes forever, and could these changes happen to the being we exist in?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I tend to believe the latter. That the universe is part of a living thing of some sort, could be a plant or who knows.... we're too microscopic to even be noticed...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

However the latest "the universe is a 3d hologram" craze has got me curious...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I think it's completely feasible to assume we could live in a simulated reality. I mean, after all, you can't really believe we're the smartest or ONLY race in the universe.

Maybe we are part of some MMO for aliens, maybe we're just the imagined selves of someone dreaming. Either way, it doesn't really matter, because in the end, it's out of our hands.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I really can't think of anything else to say except for the fact that all of this simulated reality nonsense sounds like nothing more than a big ole pipe dream to me. Even if it were true, we would never know for sure.

Drugs are bad.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Why can't we be part of an inanimate object? Like a block of dry wall or a ruler?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Okay, maybe we are, but what the hell? That means that every single object to ever exist on earth somehow has universes inscribed in them. And also, the fact that the universe is expanding... once a dry wall is made, it's usually a certain set size, correct? Unless you're speaking about when it IS being made, as in the concrete is being put into place... then... hmmm

And no, drugs are not bad. Coming from someone on ATS that drugs are bad... well that's nonsense in itself, pretty much everyone on ATS is a pothead.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I wish I was a pothead ... I'm just heavily medicated.

Oh well, I guess the good thing is at least I know I'm not crazy if I keep taking my meds and still have the same thoughts as I did before I was taking it.

But as for us living inside of a living being, the biggest problem with this is that like Deus said, the universe is ever expanding, which kind of rules out a living being due to the fact at this point, assuming that our sense of time is relative to theirs, they would have stopped growing by now, and therefore, the universe would have quit expanding.

Just my opinion ... I could be wrong and most likely am.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42

And no, drugs are not bad. Coming from someone on ATS that drugs are bad... well that's nonsense in itself, pretty much everyone on ATS is a pothead.

Well I for one am not. I find it much easier to make rational thoughts and good decisions, with a clear sober mind.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Wow,good thread,I often have wondered similar things,good questions,I don't know.However I do not think that we are a simulated reality,nor that we are 'inside a living being'.I do however think that the Universe(God?)could be a form of 'living energy' we do not understand.But I currently have some theories as to Universal formation and reason(not going into now).Great postulation,a great topic to come back to ATS to,thanks.But who knows anything could be possible,I just don't think your particular theory is true,if it is oh well,we just have to live to our fullest,it is more of one of those things that doesn't 'feel right' to me,I don't know.A Super-intelligent civilization would likely have better things(and morals) to do that simulate us,in this form...........but then again who knows.I have a question though-You said "Scientist say we have a 20 % chance of living in a simulated reality"........your source please.

Great thread,and please don't take my response as disrespect,as it is not.Hope to read some more of your postings soon.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The problem with the whole, "our universe is a holographic simulation" thing is that it is like the God" argument.....if we're merely a simulation...what created the simulation...and how are we to know if that reality isn't a simulation, if they created a simulation that, to us, is entirely real...so, maybe they're just a simulation that decided to create a simulation, that was created by someone else...etc., etc...ad infinitum...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have had many thought like this.

But when i think about what was before the beginning. I get stuck with how space could have been created. What can create a physical space! And what can put a physical matter inside of it. Because space and matter are two different things. They are two different dimensions.

If you break down a matter to its very bases it still is within the dimension space. You can never make it into the main dimension space. It will always be a matter of some sort inside of it.

Space it self is not bound by any roles. Only the matter inside of it is bound by physical roles. That means we are bound by roles. So who ever put the matter into space gave us limits. We are limited to the matter we are given.

We are created into a physical 4th dimension being. With a unlimited imagination. But our ability to create from our imagination is limited by the matter inside of the dimension of space.

If we are controlled by something or someone it is by who ever created space and matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I seem to recall an episode of the outer limits or some other show like it, where they had just discovered how to make wormholes to travel faster than light, but it turns out that our universe is contained within a creature of some sort.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Wow,good thread,I often have wondered similar things,good questions,I don't know.However I do not think that we are a simulated reality,nor that we are 'inside a living being'.I do however think that the Universe(God?)could be a form of 'living energy' we do not understand.But I currently have some theories as to Universal formation and reason(not going into now).Great postulation,a great topic to come back to ATS to,thanks.But who knows anything could be possible,I just don't think your particular theory is true,if it is oh well,we just have to live to our fullest,it is more of one of those things that doesn't 'feel right' to me,I don't know.A Super-intelligent civilization would likely have better things(and morals) to do that simulate us,in this form...........but then again who knows.I have a question though-You said "Scientist say we have a 20 % chance of living in a simulated reality"........your source please.

Great thread,and please don't take my response as disrespect,as it is not.Hope to read some more of your postings soon.

No source, but I mean think about it... we as a civilization are VERY close to creating super computers that are actually capable of running entire simulations, now would we think it's not ethical to do so? Probably not... because it's all just data, right? When creating Sims, the most popular video game franchise in the world, Will Wright never stopped and said "Omg, this might not be ethical to do this!", and he's an actual believer that we are in some sort of simulated reality or a game like Sims.

I mean, 20%... but we will never truly know. And if, by some way we do find out we AREN'T in a civilization, then we will eventually create simulations of our own, correct? Would the simulated universe people wonder the same? I mean if all this... all of life is ran on some super computer screen, by either sub-humans or an alien civilization... or maybe even god? I don't know... I'm just speculating here.

Thank you all for posting in my topic though, much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
bump up my post yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well, whoever is in control of me is one boring being because I have one boring life......

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Or... maybe he/she/it/whatever finds those mundane activities fun and exciting... I mean people play sims, almost religiously, people play WoW and literally do the same thing over and over(coming from a nov. 2004-2008 subscriber), same with runescape and other very popular mmos

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think that this topic(although not about 'how the universe was created')leads to that very issue.I myself am currently working on my own theory on this,but until a major breakthrough in physics we will all ultimately end in debates and opinions,it is a very interesting and provocative topic though,stretches your mind to the limit.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Our brains are like a super computer , so if you look at it that way , that part of us IS !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join