It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is that bright large object in sky, a planet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I have been noticing this star getting brighter and brighter ever since the beginning of 2008, and I do have to agree with the rest, this star that the OP is seeing is indeed Venus. It becomes visible shortly before sunset at approximately South South West and at about 45mins after sunset it crosses the West Coordinate.

Hope this helps!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by TheEnlightenedOne]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
I live in North Carolina And I belive it may also be Jupitor.
Figuring the 2nd large one is gone now which was there in Dec but is gone now.
Its just one big ball now. It has been there for a long time and does make me wonder some nights what it is. I see it from around 8pm until 11pm. ...

Hilda

strange... how only two of us ...(both in the Carolina's) don't swallow the
'Venus' answer !?

i have noticed... because the big-bright-Star is prominant... right out
my back porch sky, that in the last week-or-so, the 'Star' as moved lower
on the horizon and has drifted a little more West than where it was
a week or 10 days ago...
Venus is a lot quicker, so I go for the Jupiter identification,
because...i think that the faster moving Earth orbit is making the 'Star'
appear both lower in the sky and receeding slowly -- to the observers West ---
as the Earth races onward in a faster pace because we are in an orbit closer to the Sun

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It's most likely Venus, depending what part of the sky its in. But I think, based on what info I saw, its Venus.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
as the Earth races onward in a faster pace because we are in an orbit closer to the Sun

It's Venus, trust me, that's why it never gets very far from the sun; it's in a closer orbit to the sun thus it can never appear in the sky directly opposite from the sun. I've seen it in my telescope as well and it's definately Venus; a bright white sphere with no moons. I can take a picture and post it here if that will lay the issue to rest.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You know what they say. "A picture is..."

Notice Jupiter setting Before Venus. (2 weeks ago)

www.skyandtelescope.com...
Jupiter is lost in the sunset. It's at superior conjunction with the Sun on January 24th.

Jupiter already 'gone'.

HTH

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Just try one of the free sky at night maps that are on the internet - Venus is incredibly bright and clear here at the moment - I checked on the sky maps, and sure enough the bright object I am seeing is just where venus is supposed to be...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I took the liberty of spending an hour last night to set up my scope and get this photo of the bright star you're seeing, and indeed, it's Venus.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

It's Venus, trust me, that's why it never gets very far from the sun; it's in a closer orbit to the sun [...] I've seen it in my telescope as well and it's definately Venus; a bright white sphere with no moons. I can take a picture and post it here if that will lay the issue to rest.

Appreciate your effort and clarity, thanks much

i'm going to have to get more informed... i cued off the Jupiter/Mercury/Venus conjunction and basically assumed the ultra-bright
object was a slower orbiting Jupiter...

i have looked at different times at the evening & night skies...and i have
seen the bright object 'set' in the WSW sky... which tells me that the object
sets at the horizon as the Earth rotates,

i will look on the starcharts to get better oriented...

thanks

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

In addition to sky charts *stellarium*. This little thingy can be helpful in getting the big picture.
www.fourmilab.ch...

I recommend starting by setting "size" to as large as possible.

[edit on 1/24/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yeah when you see a dot that's unusually big and bright, then it's a planet, usually Venus.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Hi, i'm from New south Wales in Australia. I too have noticed this very bright star? in the sky in the south west, it pretty much stays around the same spot all night! Venus, I think not! Planet X (Nibiru) perhaps.
This star has been noticably getting bigger over the last year or so.
venus is still in the same position here.
this star is not....
Curious isn't it?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I'm also on the east coast, and I agree that it is Venus. It has been very bright, and the sky has been clear the past few nights...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Thats just rude, be nice, make a request for a photo so you may be of assistance, that person may not even own a camera. let's all be nice to each other. God's love!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
any chance its the space station?i know here in northern vt i see a really bright star,from sunset on, i think its the space station.its by far the brightest in the sky.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yep it's Venus. You can sometimes see it during the day...usually in the morning as the sun rises or in the evening as it sets.
One trick to determine if it's a planet or a star is that planets usually won't "twinkle" like a star does.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by griffinrl]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tesla401

It's Venus. I'll try and get a pic with one of my telescopes tonight

Oh wait ngchunter already got a great photo! Nice one

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

Thanks! The seeing has been like peering into a boiling pot the last few days, so it's a little on the fuzzy side.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Same here ngc. I live a little south of Little Rock, AR and one day it's 70 and sunny and the next it's 25 and sleeting! Plays havoc with the "seeing". I just put my 80mm Stellarvue refractor out on the deck to cool off and I'll see what I can manage this evening.

I like your ISS avatar! I've tried to catch a quick photo of the bugger as it streaks by but no success yet....now if I could only catch one of those huge F.A.S.T invasion force ships that are out there

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The clouds moved in after dark but I managed to snap a couple of shots of the moon and Venus with my Canon digital camera before dark. The sky is blue and Venus is clearly visible. I'll be happy to post or email the pictures if anyone is interested

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

Go for it, I'm sure everyone would love to see it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join