It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God Cruel or Just Misunderstood?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Seems you're caught in the psychological trap of anthropomorphizing God.
as in.. you're trying to see "God" as a "person".
"objective good" in it's essence is anything striving toward the highest ideals of perfection.

"objective evil" is anything animalistic.
"God" is everywhere. ... even within yourself.

Well, I guess whatever works! He certainly presents himself to me in a more personal form. He uses language that I can interpret well. He shows emotion and intimacy and aloofness.

His definition of perfection to me was, in one word: "Freedom."

I differ in that, I am not a believer in a pantheistic God. I do believe that his essence is in everything but not necessarily his spirit, consciousness, or he himself.

I can only base what I am saying on my experience with him. I do understand that most won't agree.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by seb2882

Maybe if people stopped asking God for things, or being angry towards it when it doesn't delivers them, they would get up and do things for themselves to make a this a better world.

The true blessings of the father aren't really in what he gives. It's usually the things he doesn't give that are the true blessings. Just think about all the things you have wished for, and if you had actually gotten them. At the time I thought I wanted them, but sure am glad I didn't actually get what I wanted.

Not always given what you want, but you are always given what you need.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by redwolf.of.odin
... where a group of gods called Elohim created everything including man and women. Elohim is a plural word for God but different from the Hebrew word used to describe other gods.

[edit on 19/1/09 by redwolf.of.odin]

Then the Elohim (Hebrew idiom of a plural of magnitude or majesty (Gen. 1:1), used of heathen gods, or of angels or judges as representatives of God, Elohim is plural in sense as well as form. It’s etymology, the most likely roots mean either "be strong," or "be in front," the power and preeminence of God; as to EL (Heb. ‘el, God) it is a generic word for God in the Semitic languages: Aramaic elah, Arabic ilah, Akkadian ilu. In the OT, el is used over two hundred times for God. El has a plural, elim, occasionally elhm in Ugaritic; but the Hebrews needed no plural, though a plural term, ‘elohim, was their regular name for God. The root from which ‘el was derived may have come from ‘wl, "to be strong"; from an Arabic root ‘ul, "to be infront of" as a leader from a Hebrew root ‘lh to which both ‘el and ‘elohim belonged, with the meaning "strong"; from the preposition el, "to be infront of"; and using the same prepositions, as putting forth the idea of God as the goal for which all men seek. A truly satisfactory theory is impossible, because ‘el and the other terms for God, ‘elohim and ‘eloha, are all prehistoric in origin.) make their return in Genesis 6:2, when the "sons of God" have intercourse with the "daughters of men," ..."and they took them wives of all which they chose." The results of this event beget Lamech (Heb. lemekh, meaning undetermined), father of Noah, based his faith on the promised deliverance from the Adamic curse of Gen. 3:14-19, he foresees, even if faintly, the coming of One of his seed (cf. 1 Chron. 1:3; Luke 3:36) who will remove that curse (cf. Rom. 8:18-25). Jared was Enochs' father, who through tradition dictated to his son about 5800 B.C. "The Lamentations of Jared" how Gods came to the earth and led astray his own tribe of Adam and those tribes of Cain also.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

The awnser is simple god has abandoned us because of the ways not we but our ancestors lived their life god created the greatest good and the greatest evil in one being as told in the story of adam and eve because (not many people know this) god sent adam down with s woman BEFOR ee and she wasnt willing to be adams slae so god cast her out of the garden of eden(ill get to that later) and she married satan and cursed adam so in a way not satan but god created the eil on this earth but satan thrived on it and so thats hy in this world there is no god or satan there is only the good(do whats right for a cause greater than them) the bad(the ones who cause hate on a massive scale for selfish reasons) and the ugly (cassed out by societyfor there apearance not their actions they are the angels that lurke below society free of all hate and believe that no good savior helps his followers if they just sit and prey but if they do whats right for tham because of them no otherperson madders, tey please themselves without taking from others)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The awnser is simple god has abandoned us because of the ways not we but our ancestors lived their life god created the greatest good and the greatest evil in one being as told in the story of adam and eve because (not many people know this) god sent adam down with s woman BEFOR ee and she wasnt willing to be adams slae so god cast her out of the garden of eden(ill get to that later) and she married satan and cursed adam so in a way not satan but god created the eil on this earth but satan thrived on it and so thats hy in this world there is no god or satan there is only the good(do whats right for a cause greater than them) the bad(the ones who cause hate on a massive scale for selfish reasons) and the ugly (cassed out by societyfor there apearance not their actions they are the angels that lurke below society free of all hate and believe that no good savior helps his followers if they just sit and prey but if they do whats right for tham because of them no otherperson madders, tey please themselves without taking from others)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

First off there are thousands upon thousands of gods (and godessess) worshipped/invented by man down the years so your title ,whether you meant it or not,is misleading.
Like the hideously loaded Pascal's wager, it presupposes theres only one god (its like suggesting theres only one type of cheese).

As for your question, you do raise some good points but for me the inescapable conclusion is that the god of the bible is a vindictive,sadistic bully who has a great deal of human blood on his hands.

Many of the vaguely worded counter excuses offered by overtly religious folks don't stand up as abrahamic lore is quite specific when attributing this particular deity with an intimidatory,threatening,homicidal nature - if you're interested,theres some comprehensive info here about specific actions/crimes such as gleefuly revelling in genocide/infanticide and general malicious shallowness:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also,another thread detailing the dangerously deluded cult mentality of the bible god's instructions to 'true beleivers' and their subsequent divisive,bloodthirsty and inherently bigoted effects on humanity as a whole:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Yes, we agree that there are many Gods. Please look to my threads at the bottom (click on one) or on my profile, and you will see that we agree on many things.

I don't believe that the Bible is inspired in an accurate way, and that many of the OT stories are just that...stories. I believe that the Bible was written as part of a great conspiracy. So if this is the case, we cannot go by the God that is portrayed in the OT as this may be totally fictional (along with the stories), and created by the Church!

This is why I believe that the Gods have been misunderstood. I too stand strong against the LIE.

I appreciate your post and know that you are singing to the choir here!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ECWSANDMAN13

The awnser is simple god has abandoned us because of the ways not we but our ancestors lived their life

I appreciate your thoughts. I could not understand all of it, but I thank you!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join