posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:40 PM
Now that the ceasefire has been announced I think that the peace process can begin again but will greatly damaged. I am no defender of Hamas, nor
antisemitism, or even some of the basic tenets of Islam, but at the same time I am no fan of IDF, hiding behind antisemitism, or militarism. I think
that the jews are (historically, ethnically, culturally, and religiously) a unique ethnic group and I am totally in favor of a strong, safe and
independent Israel. But what does that cost us? What does it cost them? The Israeli's refuse to let go of Gaza and the West Bank. Why? Only
Palestinians live there! The years of violence have destroyed any hope or reason or moderation on either side. The US funds Israels no matter what
happens. We defend them even when our closest allies shrink away. Why? Is it worth all the conflict it creates with the Muslim world? This is why
Osama hates us. Its not our freedom (although I sure he's no big fan of a lot of the other things we do) it our funding of Israel and military bases
in Saudi Arabia. Osama is a terrible person, but he is simply like Hamas. The old Islamic world is breaking down and record speed. Governments are
becoming pro-western or anti-western, secular or fundamentalist. There is no middle ground became when ever some one comes along to say something
reasonable then Hamas shoots them and the IDF does an airstrike on it.
I think the following is a completely reasonable set of statements.
1. Self defense and self preservation are fundamental human rights
2. Both sides have committed unprovoked and brutal acts, on civilian and military targets, during war and ceasefires
3. The Jews have a historical connection to the land of Israel, as do the Palestinians
4. The balance of power clearly is in Israel's favor. They have the money, allies, weapons and stability. The Palestinians are extremely poor,
have a very small army, have limited support from other Islamic states and are suffering from constant infighting between the Fundamentalist Hamas and
the center right Fatah. More Palestinians have died because of this conflicts then Israelis.
5. The ideology of fundamentalist Islam is very violent, regressive and hard to justify from a religious or human perspective. Zionism is not
something to hide behind
6. The US, right or wrong has stood behind Israel
And Im going to go out on a limb here
7. A reasonable conclusion is going to make every one unhappy. I say West Bank and Gaza are an independent Palestinian nation, Israels gives back
the Golan heights, and the UN or some other peace keeping organization keeps the peace
8. But I believe that neither side wants a compromise. Israel knows it has the power and weapons. Hamas knows that they are fighting a gurilla
war, where they do not have to win, just not lose. The Israelis can kill every one in the west bank, but if the last one left alive is sympathetic to
Hamas, then Hamas one. The Israelis are an unpopular occupying force in a radically different territory, using force and violence daily fighting
against a popular guerrilla front.
Thanks for reading.
Please don't call me a terrorist. I know that by suggesting that Israel has flaws, even if I pointed out Hamas/Palestine's flaws I am going to
strap C4 to my chest and blow up a hot dog factory or what ever you terrorist accusers think an "anti-semite" like me would do. Im not Muslim,
Jewish, violent or personally involved in this so this is just what I think. No need to get personal.