It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
* The Devil’s Bible is so huge that it requires at least two people to carry it.
* Once considered the eighth wonder of the world, the Codex Gigas stretches three feet long and weighs a hundred and sixty-five pounds.
* It is the only book that places the Old and New Testaments alongside violent, holy incantations.
* The Codex Gigas contains one full page – right opposite the devil portrait of a towering Heavenly City. Although no people can be seen in the Heavenly City, it is a symbol of hope and salvation, a contrast to the portrait of the devil on the opposing page.
* The Codex Gigas includes mystical medical formulas for anything from treating ailments such as fevers and epilepsy to resolving practical problems such as finding a thief.
* The book's transfer to Prague in 2008 took a year of planning. It was insured for $15.1 million during the transfer.
* The Devil’s Bible has 600 pages, which is 310 parchment leaves, all made from donkey skins.
Originally posted by walibi
Great post, highly interesting. I feel compelled to flip through the pages even if I can't read latin.