It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.

The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
"Obama's inaugural committee has raised more than $41 million to cover events ranging from a Philadelphia-to-Washington train ride to a megastar concert with Beyonce, U2 and Bruce Springsteen to 10 official inaugural balls. Add to that the massive costs of security and transportation — costs absorbed by U.S. taxpayers — and the historic inauguration will produce an equally historic bill."

"Security and transportation costs are being paid by taxpayers."

More money, being stolen from us. Will you, for footing the bill, have VIP access to these parties and events? Highly doubtful. Our country is dying, and they just keep spending, and spending, and spending with no discretion and no care in the world that it's our money they are spending.
Enjoy your new tyrant. You deserve him.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My GOD!!!

Well, if THIS doesn't tell everyone that they should have voted for an incapable, war-hungry president, I don't know what will.

Pfffft!

Enjoy your new tyrant. You deserve him.

You.....must be joking here......right?

Oh, and if you refer to the rules of this forum, you'll see that this thread SHOULD be entitled:

[edit on 1/18/2009 by bigbert81]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Then the event was declared a National Emergency...freeing up more federal funds.

This is what happens when we elect someone who is a Cult of Personality.

I think I am going to go on a self-imposed media ban for 24 hours starting Tuesday. The sight of the drive-by media glorifying the new messiah is sure to get me sick....I think I will skip it.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
And uhh... who was it that declared a state of emergency? The incoming President that hasn't spent a dime of taxpayer's money yet or the outgoing President that has presided over the nation's largest increase in spending, turned a budget surplus into a $1.2 trillion deficit, leaves behind a $10.8 Trillion national debt, just had his Treasurer threaten congress with martial law unless they agreed to hand over $700 Billion to bankers, and had the Federal reserve hand out another $7 Trillion in loans and guarantees?

That Obama... what a tyrant!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
And uhh... who was it that declared a state of emergency? The incoming President that hasn't spent a dime of taxpayer's money yet or the outgoing President that has presided over the nation's largest increase in spending, turned a budget surplus into a $1.2 trillion deficit, leaves behind a $10.8 Trillion national debt, just had his Treasurer threaten congress with martial law unless they agreed to hand over $700 Billion to bankers, and had the Federal reserve hand out another $7 Trillion in loans and guarantees?

I expect to see alot of this in the next 4 years. Obama can't get things right? Blame Bush!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Who all do you think we should blame RR?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Could the event being declared a national emergency be just to free up funds. Or could it be in preparation for the much talked about event that is rumoured to be coincinding with the inauguration?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Who all do you think we should blame RR?

Obama had the power to subdue all the pomp and circumstance, but he choose not to. If you are holding an event that makes it necessary for the US Government to call for a State of Emergency, it might be good judgement to scale it back a bit. The key phrase here is "good judgement" something Obama lacks.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It's mainly Obama supporters that are paying for the party; not taxpayers dollars.

www.news.com.au...
citizenvox.org...
All this crybaby, whining is getting so tiresome.
Do a little research before you start whining.

Tons and tons of memorabilia will also be sold to help pay for this bash.

www.examiner.com...

[edit on 18-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This is no different than any other previous inauguration. The tax payers have always footed the bill, and will continue to do so. So get over it!!!

You all act like this is the very first time government has stuck its greedy hand down your back pants pocket! What planet have you all been living on all your lives?

Has your savior Obama said anything about denying any tax payer funds to pay for this party hardy thats gonna take place?

They "say" 41 million was raised by Obama and his group for these celebrations. So already everyone is so trusting that they believe what government says...ya thats right, what government says, Obama is the next president...ie...Government!!!

While they party..."Alot of people wont get no supper tonight...Alot of people wont get no justice tonight...Remember..To kick it over.....No one will guide you....Through Armagideon Time." (The Clash-Kick It Over/Armagideon Time-1980, Black Market Clash)

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 18-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I don't see anything that claims the high cost is due to "pomp and circumstance", in fact it seems like a lot of the event costs are being covered by public donations. The taxpayer is only paying for security and transportation according to the article. So should Obama just not appear at his inauguration and save us the cost of security?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Does anyone else see the double standard? 4 years ago Bush was warned to tone down his Inauguration by Democrats because of the Iraq War. But now we are in the middle of a recession and I don't see the same tone I saw 4 years ago?

But if they did that, that would ruin the Cult of Personality they are trying to create for Obama.

People should not be able to get away with creating a "State of Emergency". If an event causes a State of Emergency...steps should be taken to eliminate the emergency...not shelling out taxpayer money to promote it.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Actually what the candidates should do is consider during their campaigns the costs of winning and have that set aside for their little parties.

In these economic hardship times, it would seem the appropriate thing to do than to expect taxpayers who are already strapped for money to fork out more money for parties and security.

IMO, if they can raise millions of dollars on their own, then they can foot the bill on their own for all of it.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ivycutler

What are the rumored events that are suppose to coincide with the inaguation?

I've not heard of anything

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

I expect to see alot of this in the next 4 years. Obama can't get things right? Blame Bush!

Where have you been RR???

By the way BUSH co. has been running the show if you haven't noticed. Obama hasn't even taken a shower in the BLACK HOUSE.

Finally I have read past posts of yours stating Bush inherited this and that from CLINTON...

Really, what about taking responsibility... FAILURE and ROTTEN to the core??? Oh GOP.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Does anyone else see the double standard? 4 years ago Bush was warned to tone down his Inauguration by Democrats because of the Iraq War. But now we are in the middle of a recession and I don't see the same tone I saw 4 years ago?

But if they did that, that would ruin the Cult of Personality they are trying to create for Obama.

People should not be able to get away with creating a "State of Emergency". If an event causes a State of Emergency...steps should be taken to eliminate the emergency...not shelling out taxpayer money to promote it.

I thought we were in a recession in 2000?

And BTW OBAMA in already a cult of personality.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think it's possible this could actually help the economy due to everyone traveling to get there and all the business the shops will get. That said, I can't stand the mentality of something being ok just because someone else, Bush in this case did worse. If it's a bad idea then it's bad regardless of whose ideas are worse. I don't believe this issue is a big deal but in the future there is sure to be ones that are and looking back rather then forward won't be helpful.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
[sarcasm]Its not a problem if a black man spends my money. He knows how to spend it better than I. [/sarcasm]

The MSM love Obama ... and might even be g.... nvm just watch.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Cio88]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The opulence of Obama inauguration bash rivals some of the middle ages parties thrown by the newly elected popes who were later found to be the most corrupted Vicars of Jesus ever. Obama surely doesn't display the humbleness of a public servant -- an image needed to restore confidence in the government.

But the cost of the party is nothing out of unexpected: Blacks scored touchdown against Whites in the Big House Bowl, so lets have a down dance . . .

[edit on 1/18/2009 by stander]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join