It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revoke the Tax Exempt Status of the Church of Scientology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
With the Co$ posing as a religion unquestioned, especially in times of great hardship and insecurity... the gov needs to put the "church" in it's proper place.

Here's a direct link to Obama's online Citizen's Briefing Book where you can enter a vote and comment on this issue as well as others. Revoke the Tax Exempt Status of the Church of Scientology

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I don't really get the point of the attacks on Scientology. Sure they are a bit kooky, but then is all the talk of "Xenu" and "thetans" really any more crazy than Jesus healing the blind or turning water into wine? (or for readers here, UFO's and NWO)

I understand that some of the leadership have been accused of crimes, and if they are guilty then they should be bought to trial, just like the catholic priests in their scandals.

However to attack the whole of Scientology in the way that people have been, just smacks of intolerance and bigotry.

Personally I'd like to see *ALL* religions have their tax exempt status removed. In fact, I think some should volunteer to. For example, in the recent 'gay marriage' issues in California, many of the churches said that they would be forced to marry gays as they have to give equal rights due to being a charity. Well, they should drop that charitable status in that instance in my opinion, otherwise they are putting money before their morals.

I seriously wonder if people understand why this latest round of Scientology bashing became as strong as it did. The group 'Anonymous' did not start it, they were pushed into it by other groups, who know that most of Anonymous are very weak people, easily lead, and willing to commit crimes (mostly minor harassment and hacking). This is one of the reasons many in Anonymous backed away from the scientology crusade, and it caused a split, they realised they were being manipulated by outside forces as pawns.

Those doing the manipulation were groups such as cDc and hackitivist groups. Their reasons are a little less clear, although it is known that some of those involved are quite fundamentalist Christians, who believe that this kind of action is acceptable under god. This became more clear when some of Anon attempted to take the attack to *all* religions. This was quickly shut down.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Make ALL of the churches pay taxes not just the one YOU find distasteful
Make ALL of the imported junk that is being forced upon us taxed (tariffs)
Revoke taxes on the citizenry and revoke the CORPORATE control of our government. And go to your church and worship the way you believe without anyone telling you that you cant or that your form of worship is wrong!!!
BTW are you a Baptist???

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
When i start believing i'm an Unitarian,
when in doubt i'm an Agnostic,
and when i stop believing i'm an Athiest...
all depends on the day, week, month and year you ask me.

My issue with Co$ was not influenced by any other entity or counter org. Only out of my own research of the "church" and it's founder have i come to the conclusion that this enterprise has a business body disguised with a multitude of humanitarian faces/masks.

For those who don't understand the counter culture that has surfaced in opposition to Co$, i say look deeper then the surface and you will understand how naive/ignorant/arrogant your perspective is.

Fortunate for the general public, much of the research has already been well established and consolidated ... i.e. i'd recommend reviewing every page linked to/from www.xenu.net...

[edit on 18-1-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
"Only out of my own research of the "church" and it's founder have i come to the conclusion that this enterprise has a business body disguised with a multitude of humanitarian faces/masks."

And this is significantly different to many other religions how? That well known pastor didn't just find his mansion and fancy car at the side of the road.

Many religions/sects have aspects of this kind of behavior, some more than others, but when people choose to only attack one of them, I smell an agenda, either knowingly or unknowingly.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Personally, I am more favor of getting rid of the taxes period. There shouldn't be an income tax or any of that stuff to begin with.

So you can argue they should have to pay taxes, I would argue that everyone shouldn't have to pay taxes.

I wonder if I could say my body is a temple of god and then get tax exempt.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i am under the impression that if they were to lose their tax-exempt status as a religion... they could no longer proclaim that they were a religion/church?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i am under the impression that if they were to lose their tax-exempt status as a religion... they could no longer proclaim that they were a religion/church?

So it's only the fact they are allowed to call themselves a church that you really have a problem with. And the tax stuff is just all a part of how you want to go about it. It's really just a matter of trying to find ways to control and force things over people.

If you can't allow others to have freedom, you will not be given it yourself.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
if you are a business disguised as a religion, you should

1. not be allowed to call yourself a church

2. not allowed the benefit of having tax-exempt status

as for an agenda... the only one i have is in the pursue of the truth and what is right... and on that note, i seriously question the move of this thread from the Conspiracies in Religions forum, to the General Chit Chat forum by mod Byrd, is Byrd's agenda to have this topic get lost in the mental-bubble gum section?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
For those on the fence or on the defense... consider the latest news on Co$:

Trial date set for fraud case against Church of Scientology in France

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Update: Trial in France currently underway... should be finished by the end of the month.

Scientologists are crying that the government is interfering with their freedom of religion. This case was not filed against the church or its members for their religious beliefs, but for there practice of manipulating individuals to get their money... it’s not the first time that the religion has been accused of this.

... and it all starts from the founders founding words of wisdom.

"I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is." - L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949; quoted by Eshbach in OVER MY SHOULDER: REFLECTIONS ON A SCIENCE FICTION ERA, Donald M. Grant Publisher. 1983

"MAKE MONEY. MAKE MORE MONEY. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MORE MONEY." - L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 9 March 1972, MS OEC 384

"Let's sell these people a piece of blue sky." - L. Ron Hubbard to an associate in 1950, soon after the opening of the Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation. (via Jon Atack, A PIECE OF BLUE SKY: SCIENTOLOGY, DIANETICS AND L. RON HUBBARD EXPOSED, Lyle Stuart/Carol Publishing Group. 1990)

source: www.xenu.net...

[edit on 5-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Originally posted by The All Seeing I

So it's only the fact they are allowed to call themselves a church that you really have a problem with. And the tax stuff is just all a part of how you want to go about it. It's really just a matter of trying to find ways to control and force things over people.

If you can't allow others to have freedom, you will not be given it yourself.

While I am a strong supporter of freedom of religion (no matter how crazy), I also think that religious institutions, like all other institutions, should be held accountable for their actions.

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom to hurt and exploit people.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I can't wait to hear the results of this court case.

Here in France, the Scientologists are going to hopefully get what's due. I wonder if other countries will follow suit and try to find other victims of deception and manipulation by this bunch of charlatans to ban them too.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They have a pretty impressive track record of erasing opposition. I credit this to their ruthless tactics in and outside of the court room. The US, Germany and several Australian states that had taken a stand against Co$ in the past, all eventually caved in.

France would be a glimmer of hope if they could manage to close their doors to this criminal racket... and in turn give other countries the courage and support to take a stand as well.

Wikipedia recently banned Scientology from making any edits to their pages... which is on promising example of what other organizations can do to curb Co$s insidious influence.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Yeah, I read about Wikipedia banning them from editing (except for those authorised and with permission first).

I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed that the French authorities will achieve something against this lot. They have a good track record for NOT giving up/in, and the Co$ having to deal with the crazy French bureaucratic system should make it more difficult for them to "erase" the opposition hopefully.

We'll see.

"Vive La France!"

top topics

join