It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea military says to "wipe out" the South

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by orgyofthedead

Well this is a disturbing event, it seems as though relations between the North and South are at an all time low.
I know that there have been threats in the past, however this one might be different for a couple of reasons.

New South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has implemented some hard line policies against the North, the declining health of leader Kim Jong Il, who reportedly suffered a stroke last year and may no longer be making decisions (it is reported that his 24/25 year old son is in charge). Also could be saber rattling just ahead of Obamas inauguration. There is also the reports that Pyongyang has weaponized its plutonium into warheads, enough for between four and six warheads.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Alright, where do I begin on this topic? let us start with the succession issue. Rumors of Kim Jong Il's succession has been floating around for years, and lately, the rumors have been amped up due to Kim Jong Il's reported illness. While some persuasive anecdotal evidence came about regarding what Kim Jong Il suffered from, it is impossible to get any direct evidence, just like most information that comes from the DPRK. I am sure that much is known here, but wanted to throw that out there as a disclaimer of sorts.

The Yonhap posted an article regarding his reported announcement of his youngest son, Kim Jong Un as his successor. However, nothing is confirmed. What should give pause is the lack of a propaganda campaign. It took 20+ years to groom Kim Jong Il to the public as the "good son" to Kim Il Sung, and there is no evidence of that from what I can see. Next, the DailyNK cited another rumor from NK In&Out that Kim Jong Nam was named successor and was called the "Morning Star General". However, another Yonhap article supposedly had an interview with Kim Jong Nam in which he said:

"I myself have no interest," Kim Jong-nam, 38, said in a Beijing hotel. "That is for my father to decide."

So this question is still mired in mystery and speculation. And will most likely remain a mystery until a successor or some other leadership emerges. The one thing that can be certain is, Kim Jong Il cannot live forever, and something or somebody else has to take over. What that is, remains to be seen.

As for the Plutonium, HEU or other threats to the ROK (such as conventional/chemical/biological weapons), that has been the same rhetoric for decades as you posted yourself. I personally doubt the DPRK will launch any attack because that would mean the end of the DPRK. That is one of the reasons why Kim Il Sung did not dare resume the Korean War. While the ROK will most likely suffer a lot of damage, the response will be catastrophic. The Pyongyang regime is all about survival, and they use, in my opinion, these threats in a way to secure aid. While I cannot say for sure that's what they think (because so little if nothing is known), the engagement and disengagement has been the ace in the hole for years. Does that mean they do not have the weapons grade plutonium or HEU? Absolutely not. What they do have and how they will use it may differ. I am also inclined to believe they will have a more lucrative trade selling it to others. I do not have direct evidence to support this, but there are some reports floating around North Korea's illicit trade is a part of the regime's way to secure hard currency.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Some time ago, I recall a man refer to Iran, Iraq, and North Korea as the axis of evil.

One as such, has fallen.

The other two continue to threaten war, and have even threatened the very existence of other nations.

Damn.

That's right. I think it was . . . Bush.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Oh I could also add more to this, but I was running out of room to reply. As for the media, the central arm of the Propaganda and Agitation Department is the thumb that holds the hearts and minds of the population, some evidence suggests more and more information has been coming in and out of the DPRK.

These may include cell phones, corruption (bribery is common according to defectors), illicit receiving of broadcasts, word of mouth from trade and the list goes on and on. Does this mean it is the end of the sealed kingdom? I do not see any evidence, but I do not know if it is because of loyalty or fear.

One thing is clear; the bottom-up marketization of the economy does mean more contact with the outside world.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by dprkforum]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is very worrying indeed, only recently we may have seen a real C change in the leadership of N.Korea, maybe even a coded admission that Kim is dead or no longer in control, and his up until 2001 unknown , brainwashed and isolated son may be in control:

On 15 January 2009 South Korean news agency Yonhap reported North Korean leader Kim Jong-il had tapped his third son to be his successor and sent his nomination to the leadership of the ruling party. The reportedly ailing Kim Jong-il "delivered a directive around January 8 that he has named [Kim] Jong-un as his successor to the leadership of the Workers' Party," Yonhap quoted a well-informed source as saying on condition of anonymity. Yonhap said Jong-un's nomination was completely unexpected in North Korea, even among the Worker's Party leadership, and was most likely driven by Kim Jong-il's rapidly deteriorating health. Kim Jong-un, now 25, was born to Kim Jong-il's third wife, Ko Yong-hi, who died of breast cancer at the age of 51 in 2004. According to Yonhap, the youngest of Kim's three sons, Jong-un was educated at the International School of Berne and is a fan of NBA basketball.

Kim Jong-chul's younger brother Kim Jong-un / Kim Jong-woong / Kim Jung-woon was apparently born in the 1983 to 1985 timeframe, though accounts are in conflict. Indeed, as of May 2001 the BBC was unaware of the fact of the existence of this individual. Kim Jong-Ils youngest son also may be in the running for succession, though Kim Jong-chul would normally be favored because he is the elder.

Global Security

Also there is a report in 2007 from Isis states that they already have around 3 nuclear ballistic missiles that could hit Japan, and therefore easily South Korea:

US research organization ISIS reports DPRK may have three nuclear missile warheads which can strike Tokyo.

With Borders and therefore its military facing the following

South korea, therefore US forces, the Demacation line is the most militarised area in the world, i am not sure if this is still so since the Iraq and Afganistan Invasions, but certainly was before.

Any war with the South is a war with the US period.

Anyhow a "State of War" still exists between the North and South on paper, legally since the end of the Korean War and the American Withdrawal of forces from the regoins in the north, a Truce has been in place only.

Russia.

China.

All of its Borders then are borders with the worlds superpowers South by proxy, all are Nuclear, and it seems North has nuclear weapons as it has been developing them since the 60's, and we in the west even detected a Fizzle attempted recently.

North Korea is the most secluded and closed country in the world, well one of them, certainly as far as having any military impact or capabilities and around 70% of its GDP has gone into Nuclear and Ballistic research for some years.

CIA World Factbook

However for a more balanced look at the Nuclear issue:

Due to the extremely closed nature of the North Korean communist state, exact information on its nuclear capabilities is not available. It is believed that North Korea possesses enough separated plutonium for some six to eight nuclear weapons. More plutonium is present in the form of spent nuclear fuel rods at the Yongbyon nuclear reactor. However, it remains unclear whether North Korea has actually produced a nuclear warhead small enough to be mounted on a missile.

Nuclear Files.Org

However if they cant put one on a rocket does not mean that they can not make one, and put it on a plane etc....

The army spokesman, appearing in full uniform on North Korea's state television, said provocations by the South's military including naval intrusions have cross the "danger line" and it could "no longer remain an onlooker to them."

Reuturs

I just hope this is Sabre rattling as any situation with a country fighting and facing the US Military, and also being fought back against with borders of China and Russia, and stated enemies such as Japan is not going to end as it did in the 50's and 60's.

If this young son is infact now in control and is as isolated and crazy as any upbringing in this environment by such a crazy man as Kim.

Watching Closely.

Elf.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Jang Song Taek has been speculated as being the next successor as well. Some rumors suggest he has recently headed the Guidance Department. However, the Unification Ministry does not show who currently holds that position.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join