It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After cease-fire, rockets fall in southern Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
And here we go again. This is what happened right after the last cease fire.

www.comcast.net...

After cease-fire, rockets fall in southern Israel
news-general-20090117-ML.Israel.Palestinians

An Israeli soldier jumps down from a tank at a staging area on the Israel-Ga...

JERUSALEM — The military says five rockets have been fired from Gaza at the southern Israeli town of Sderot, despite Israel's unilateral cease-fire.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

In another incident after the truce took hold early Sunday, militants clashed with troops in northern Gaza, the Israeli military said.

The military said militants fired small arms at an infantry patrol, which directed artillery and aircraft to strike back.

Israel unilaterally declared the truce fire, which went into effect at 2 a.m. Sunday local time.

The truce was meant to end a three-week offensive against Gaza rocket squads.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
What was the point of this stupid "ceasefire" anyway? Did Israel honestly expect Hamas to stop fighting too, and allow Israeli soldiers to wander around Gaza freely?

Israel still said it would defend itself if attacked. And Hamas said they would keep fighting them if they didn't leave.

Not too hard to see the "ceasefire" was just a PR stunt. They knew damn well it was never going to work, they were just hoping the world would fall for it.

[edit on 18/1/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I agree!

It seems like a way to say hey look we said we were done but you guys started it back up again.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
If hamas cared for the populace at all, they would have respected the cease fire. I think iran guessed that most people would react just like you did.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
If you have seen any of my other posts on this issue I learn more pro Israel but they were also getting slammed in the media. This makes an easy way to try and turn that around.

If hamas was smart they would have tried to get their people to not poke the sleeping bear until they at least regrouped and rearmed. Sadly you may be correct that a 3rd party helped break the cease fire although this has happened before.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Yep, and here we go again. Where are all the "Gazans just want peace" supporters on here? Gazans support HAMAS and Hamas will continue to fire rockets until the day Israel wipes them off the face of the planet. Hopefully NOW people will understand why Israel responds with "disproportionate" force.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Did anyone expect a sustained cease-fire? This region will continue to see conflict until one side is no longer able to fight. This "cease-fire" business is utter rubbish, and parties on both sides of the aisle know this.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

"We had hoped that the Israeli announcement would be matched by total cessation of hostilities and the immediate withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza," said Saeb Erekat, a top aide to Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, a Hamas rival. "I am afraid that the presence of the Israeli forces in Gaza means that the cease fire will not stand and will so fragile."
www.nzherald.co.nz...

Israel resisted the previous call for ceasefire last Sunday and I guess Hamas are resisting this one.

I think that conditions need to be set by both sides and an agreement to the conditions needs to be made if a ceasefire is to be implemented successfully. Sadly, I doubt that an agreement which suits both parties will ever be made.

It looks like a war of, all or nothing. It looks like all, will soon have nothing.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Are you people blind? Israel continued to attack gaza even after and while the ceasefire agreement was being spoken. Check your facts.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dreab_boy

Do you have facts to present for checking?

I think every party involved new wouldn't last and even if Israel played nice and so did Hamas, a third party would stir it back up pretending to be 1 side.

This war fills many agendas of powerful countries and they don't want it to stop.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I do wonder...under the ceasefire, was food, medicine, and fuel being let in? For if not, then the ceasefire wasnt worth the paper it was written on. What good is saving bullets when their people arent allowed food, medicine, or power?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Hamas is controlled by Israel
As many arab govts.

America strongly supports Israel more than it does america civilians

both countries in the same boat............ kind of

I just try to imagine if Israel was innocent, and Muslims were the Zionists where they demanded a muslim majority and fought Israel the way it does Palestine, which side would you ATS members be on in that scenario?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
All Hamas has had to do to prove the Israeli offensive has utterly failed is to fire but one single rocket, thereby invalidating both the justification (defence) and results (ellimination of Hamas rocketfire) of the war.

I doubt Israel did not forsee this eventuality, which makes you wonder why they bothered to kill all those people in the first place...

Typical of Hamas though, I can't believe their complete disregard for the wellbeing of their people, knowing full well what Israel will to in retaliation.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
How could anyone expect this cease fire to be real???? With the blockades still in place and Gaza now occupied, do you really think that Hamas will stop??? For that matter Israel made it clear that if fired upon they would retaliate, no peace no cease fire, no nothing but more people dying and lying!!!!

I hate the fact that our tax dollars and money that we have likely borrowed from China is going to Israel, we are simply funding this nonsense, or genocide more properly put.

This is nothing but a ploy, you see they hurried up and signed their pact with the Bush Administration in it's final days.

NO justice......NO peace..............

KNOW justice.............KNOW peace

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus
All Hamas has had to do to prove the Israeli offensive has utterly failed is to fire but one single rocket, thereby invalidating both the justification (defence) and results (ellimination of Hamas rocketfire) of the war.

Exactly, this was just Hamas telling Israel and the world that Israel hasn't achieved it's ambitions of stopping the rockets and destroying Hamas.

Israel can come out and say it achieved its objectives, everybody knows that's complete bull crap. The only thing Israel achieved is blowing Gaza to pieces and killing many innocent people in the process.

Gaza will be rebuilt in time. The people will not forgot what Israel done. Hamas has gained from this conflict, not short term, but long term.

Hamas has more support and sympathy than it as ever had. Yes, Israel has the support of the European Governments, but not the peoples support.

[edit on 18uSunday09/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Those rockets were fired 8 minutes after Israel declared ceasefire.
As far as I know, Hamas soldiers do not possess long range telepathic powers. There was no way they could have known.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurinPT
Those rockets were fired 8 minutes after Israel declared ceasefire.
As far as I know, Hamas soldiers do not possess long range telepathic powers. There was no way they could have known.

You're are correct. Hamas do not possess telepathic powers, but they do possess the internet, phone, and T.V.

They were firing Rockets as late as Noon, Sunday.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It is an old adage to "beware, lest ye become that which ye hate most" and has been borne out in israels transformation to the perpetration of similar crimes to what jews were subject to by germany circa 1940. They should realize that this same adage may apply to the palestinians, as people learn and do what is done to them, and they may be sowing the seeds of their own oppression when the palestinians finally come to their own.

new topics

top topics

join