It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Assault Injures 1.5 Million Gazans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Israeli Assault Injures 1.5 Million Gazans

www.alternet.org

This week the death toll in Gaza passed the 1,000 mark, after nearly three weeks of Israeli air and ground attacks. But surprisingly, no one has reported an even more appalling statistic: that there are some 1.5 million injured Palestinians in Gaza. How is is possible that such an astounding figure could have passed the world's media by?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Now that a unilateral ceasefire has been declared maybe we might just be able to get some international observers into Gaza to assess the carnage and destruction.

The author of the article is merely using Israels own definition of "injury" to include shock or PTSD in estimating the number injured.

Ofcourse only the gravely wounded are allowed into hospitals due to the fact resources are so scarce. So it is believed that the actual number of physical injuries is much higher as well.

What a massacre!

I am not an Israel hater I believe in a 2 state solution. I simply want my country, the US, to stop providing aid and weapons to Israel. It is not our country nor our fight.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't think they should be putting figures out like that without proof, it's just an estimate and as you say, that includes shock. 1.5 million is a huge figure for such a short time, despite the devestation going on there.

No-one can say for sure who is suffering from shock at this moment and who is not. PTSD is not something everyone gets, you could go through hell and not get it, then again a tiny insignificant incident could cause it.

Cheers for the story,
, i don't believe in shooting the messenger.

Some of the news agencies that write these things though.....

CX.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'm confused as to how exactly 1.5 million could have been injured when, as far as I can google out, there is between a 1.3 and 1.5 million population in Gaza. That would mean that the census is horrendously wrong or every single living being in Gaza would have to have been injured. That just isn't plausible to me.

myrightword.blogspot.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: After reading the whole article, I see where they are going with this. Disregard my original assessment.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by janon]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Not to be rude, but this brings up a glaring question. Just how much is TOO much to bear?

Are we fine with 1 or 20 or 2000, but not fine with 1.5 million?

I think the more disturbing implication here is that if injury equaled death, would we not care until it reached what(?), a million?

Quantity of injury or death is more important than injury or death itself?

I don't know about anyone else here, but I can think of far worse fates than death itself, and I'm sure there is a multitude of injuries that qualify...including some of the most severe cases of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (how many PTSD cases have committed suicide?).

I'm sure it seems as though the numbers aren't so bad because they are "just injuries", but can we honestly say injuries are better than death?

Why don't the numbers simply state an amount of those suffering? How many suffer because of one person's death, and how many are suffering from fates other than death.

Does any of this really matter to anyone more than suffering.

Forgive me...I believe this is all quite moot in the end, as the point of my reply was simply how many makes a difference in most people's minds?

It's obvious that all of the death, misery and suffering that has happened throughout mankind's existence on earth hasn't made a bit of difference so far. If we have not learned the lessons we should have by now, what makes anyone think that a mere 1.5 million more will make any difference at all? Unfortunately, it's apparent that we don't have the capacity to care, let alone, learn.

new topics

top topics

join