It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kelly-Hopkinsville Incident, 1955, Family Terrorised By Alleged ET's

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
I know I've seen something ancient with the winged shoes (probably Greek? Can't remember which god it was representing), but the one I'm thinking of had the 'ears' that reminded me of Flash's headgear.

That would be Hermes (Greek) or Mercury (Roman).

Hermes

Hermes Fastening his Sandal, Roman marble copy of a Lysippan bronze (Louvre Museum)
Messenger of the gods, god of flight,
God of boundaries, shepherds, cowherds, thievery, travellers, invention, general commerce and literature
Abode Mount Olympus
Symbol Caduceus, winged sandals, tortoise, rooster
Parents Zeus and Maia
Children Pan, Hermaphroditus, Eros, Tyche, Abderus, Autolycus

Hermes (Greek, Ἑρμῆς, IPA: /ˈhɝmiːz/) is the messenger of the gods in Greek mythology. An Olympian god, he is also the patron of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of thieves and road travelers, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics, of weights and measures, of invention, of general commerce, and of the cunning of thieves and liars.[1] His symbols include the tortoise, the rooster, the winged sandals, and the caduceus. The analogous Roman deity is Mercury.
source:wiki

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

The sheriff who investigated the case smelled alcohol on the persons who reported it. The sheriff did not believe their claims and found no evidence. That aspect is always left out of this case, and it does make me wonder if the incident actually happened.

I am on the fence about this case, as there are many good points and some bad ones.

[edit on 1/18/2009 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Even though the witnesses reported strange features like the big eyes and the claw hands. Who is to say that this was an alien encounter though. What had been state was that these beings were resonating with some kind of greenish-yellow glow. Even though it does sound like either an alien encounter or a paranormal encounter. Not one single shred of evidence of anything abnormal was found by either the Sheriff's Department or by the Air Force.

If you really think about it, it sounds more like paranormal activity rather than an alien encounter. If these people were hallucinating, then what was it that made the dog terrified? Whatever it was, it was there to do some evil acts. Some of the evidence may point to an encounter with multiple spirits. Some of which may not realize that they are no longer living on this planet. Then again, if it was a paranormal enucounter, then why did Dr. Hynek have so much interest in this particular case?

[edit on 18-1-2009 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I do want to add that there were younger witnesses who were not drinking. I would hope someone interviews them to find out more about what happened. They were clear headed, and something like that happening would not be easily forgotten.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightworth
There are certain subtle details that make some UFO or close encounter cases more believable than others. This case has all the subtlety of a turd in the punchbowl...

Subtlety or lack there of has very little to do with the truth of the situation. Some events are subtle and others are not.

But perhaps you could enlighten us as to what "subtle details" make a case believable.

The anti-redneck political angle is admittedly speculation.

So because they do not fit your particular political persuasion (and it begs the question of how you would even know this) they are somehow worthy of ridicule and their testimony is unreliable. That says far more about your own ignorance than it does about them.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

There are certain subtle details that make some UFO or close encounter cases more believable than others. This case has all the subtlety of a turd in the punchbowl...

Can I just ask what these subtle details are?

I think I have read details and testimonies in the thousands but I have never encountered a trend of subtle detail illustrating the truth of the matter.

What is it you have spotted?

Thanks.

Absence.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

The sheriff who investigated the case smelled alcohol on the persons who reported it. The sheriff did not believe their claims and found no evidence. That aspect is always left out of this case, and it does make me wonder if the incident actually happened.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention

Do you have a source for this?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

With actual cases of close encounters with the EXTREMELY bizarre, like in the case of Betty and Barney Hill, it's a longer process of truth determination. There are follow-ups with mental health professionals and formal diagnoses made and treatments (effective or not) prescribed. Good Christ, several people had an (alleged) encounter of THE most horrific imaginable or unimaginable kind, and NO ONE had to see a shrink at any time after that?! Give me a break!!

I'm secure enough to not have to defend myself with blind believers. I'm done with this thread. Goodbye.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

That's the guy! If I remember, he's what Flash Gordon is based off of. I've wondered if maybe Hermes was one race of beings, and each Greek 'God' is representative of other races. I would guess these creatures to be related to Hermes if the Greek gods were real. Look at KidFlash's avatar compared to the sketches, as well as the descrition of Hermes. Another thread topic, I suppose (probably been covered already, lol).

-----

Whether a person is highly educated or not should have no bearing on witness testimony... what they saw is what they saw (according to the person). The only differencce between testimonies would be particular words used to describe the incident. "it was glowing" compared to "appeared to be luminescent". Just because someone is a 'redneck' or uneducated, or a 'country boy' doesn't make them any less credible. Any argument made using the basis of upbringing/education/way of living should thusly be considered as NULL. (that's MY opinion on it, anyways... just because the book has a cheap cover doesn't mean it's any less interesting.)

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

Need to be clear that I originally referred to rednecks critically ONLY if it was a hoax conspiracy in this instance. I'm not referring to rural or uneducated people in general.

add: Btw, despite the sweet-sounding theory about types of vision, it's not substantiated, and I stand by my claim about the reality of bipeds having such ridiculously-placed eyes. I hope I'm done with this now.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Lightworth]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Earthscum

Need to be clear that I originally referred to rednecks critically ONLY if it was a hoax conspiracy in this instance. I'm not referring to rural or uneducated people in general.

So they are only rednecks if this was a hoax? It sounds like you are implying that only rednecks would create something like this in order to get attention?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Why did they immediately start firing? I know this might sound silly but if the creature had it's arms up then doesn't that indicate surrender? It's hard to say what any of us would do in such a situation but i would hope if a creature approaches with it's arms held high that our first action would not be to shoot at it.

I agree, but it's difficult to predict accurately how anyone would react given the sheer mind-numbing fear such an encounter is likely to elicit. Whilst the creature may have intended the gesture as a sign of openness to show it had nothing to hide the men may have interpreted it as an agressive posture in preparation to strike especially given that their hands were described as "talons".

Originally posted by converge
Also might explain why they weren't armed by the shots, if they were robots of some sort.

This was actually my first thought as well upon reading the description of the entities, they sound more mechanical than biological.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The explanations by those skeptics are pure speculation. Everything else is a big unknown. Though those people were sure terrified by something.

-rrr

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

With actual cases of close encounters with the EXTREMELY bizarre, like in the case of Betty and Barney Hill, it's a longer process of truth determination. There are follow-ups with mental health professionals and formal diagnoses made and treatments (effective or not) prescribed. Good Christ, several people had an (alleged) encounter of THE most horrific imaginable or unimaginable kind, and NO ONE had to see a shrink at any time after that?! Give me a break!!

First, you have to understand both the era and the location of the Kelly-Hopkinsville incident. The Suttions may not have had access to the same kind of mental-health counseling as the Hills. Nor would they have necessarily sought counseling; there is a stigma attached to mental-health issues and even more then than now.

And second, considering that stigma and how tight-lipped the Suttons were after a certain point regarding the incident, you do not know whether the Suttons sought help or not. The narrative does not say yea or nay in that regard.

Third, not everyone who experiences a traumatic event, be it mundane or not, seeks counseling afterwards.

Either way, it does seem that the incident did have a profound effect on at least some of the family members:

"I could always tell when my dad was pulling my leg or not. He wasn't pulling a fast one," Sutton said.

"It was a serious thing to him. It happened to him. He said it happened to him. He said it wasn't funny. It was an experience he said he would never forget. It was fresh in his mind until the day he died. It was fresh in his mind like it happened yesterday. He never cracked a smile when he told the story because it happened to him and there wasn't nothing funny about it. He got pale and you could see it in his eyes. He was scared to death," he said.
SOURCE

I'm secure enough to not have to defend myself with blind believers. I'm done with this thread. Goodbye.

Just as with the believers, you are making extraordinary claims, and we are asking you to back them up. That is all; nothing to do what-so-ever with blind belief.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I believe it was a UFO Files program which interviewed the sheriff. After I thought of that, I remember there were younger children and teens at the time. They were probably sober, and their stories would have to be taken more seriously than the inebriated adults. (Although to be fair, if something like that did happen, I am sure people would sober up mighty quickly!)

I am looking for the program, but I do remember the sheriff still not believing the case after all these years. That aspect is always omitted from the UFO Community when they report on this case. All the facts, both pro and con, should be available, so it can be sorted through.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I always found the Ilkley Moor story\photo tied into this one quite well. Anyone ever make the connection?:

"He's got big pointed ears, it's got big eyes. They're quite dark, he hasn't got a nose he's only got a little mouth. And his hands are enormous. And his arms are long. He's got funny feet."

www.ufocasebook.com...

Here's the discussion on it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a third story that describes a similar creature but I'm having a hard time finding it.

[edit on 1/19/09 by Atomic]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

I'll acknowledge that the story might be true, but whatever creatures those were (if true), whether they were/are sentient beings or not (which I seriously doubt they were or would be), they were clearly (at least to me) placed or projected there by someone else far more powerful for a purely theatrical, psychopathic horror show. (Forgive me if I'm overstating the obvious).

IMO the real reason we can never get enough clarity on bizarre stories is because, again, of too many people's comfort level with secrecy-BASED government(s) in general; including those who merely say they're uncomfortable enough. If that wasn't true, a high strangeness witness' outspoken desire to testify in court AND take a polygraph would be commonplace. I'd like to know if any of the Suttons ever expressed such a desire; or even something like the "stack of Bibles" invocation.

Screw this crap! How difficult is it for a significant enough portion of humanity to decide what to believe when the "skeptical" viewpoint hypothesizes monkeys in silver suits?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
One small point:

How did they know the dog ran under the house with it's tail between it's legs if they were still inside the house?

Could be possible to see it from a window or doorway but it just seems strange to say that with such certainty when referring to the statement about how this started.

Odd or not?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I share what I've found about this case:

Project Blue Book has not investigated the case officially. However, the case has been recorded in the Project's files under the case number 10073, here is the official card:

The reason that Blue Book has not officially investigated the case is given by Captain Ed Ruppelt in his book, "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects by Edward J. Ruppelt, former head of the United States Air Force Project Blue Book" Chapter 1:

Next to the "Insufficient Data" file was a file marked "C.P." This meant crackpot. Into this file went all reports from people who had talked with flying saucer crews, who had inspected flying saucers that had landed in the United States, who had ridden in flying saucers, or who were members of flying saucer crews. By Project Blue Book standards, these were not "good" UFO reports either."

This is why, although the file of case does exists, with the conclusion "Unknown" - "Not identified", it does not appear in the official list of the nearly 700 "unexplained" cases. It does not count, beacause any report where some "beings" or "creature" of non-terrestrial appearance was mentioned was dismissed.

According to Kevin D. Randles, the file of the Kelly-Hopkinsville case is rather thick, mentions that the file has been created for information only and is not an official information, and in several press articles of that time, USAF has denied any interest or action in this case.

ufologie.net...

A letter of the USAF is evidence that there has been some official interest in the case:

The drawing at the left was based on the testimony of the three women in the farmhouse, the center one on Billy Ray Taylor's memory. and the final drawing on that of the remaining men. CUFOS

Illustration made for the cryptozoology researcher Loren Coleman's 1983 book "Mysterious America" (www.lorencoleman.com...).

Site of the incident

Drawing by artist Bud Ledwith, showing one of the creatures as described by the witnesses. (credit: UFOs Northwest)

Drawing of the initial sighting by Billy Ray Taylor of the object which 'landed" in the gully. The drawing was made by Bud Ledwith on the afternoon following the sighting. (credit: UFOs Northwest)

Three of the witnesses to the incident. In the middle is Elmer "Lucky" Sutton discussing how the craft landed. (credit: UFOs Northwest)

www.nicap.org...
www.nicap.org...

New documentary to revisit Kelly Green Men legend
By MICHELE CARLTON

An independent production company in Glendale, Calif., plans a trip to Hopkinsville this month to research the 1955 invasion of "little green men" in the community of Kelly for a documentary.

Barcon Productions will be filming eyewitness accounts for a film entitled "Monsters of the UFO" to be released next summer.

"We interview witnesses and what they saw and then base our film on their accounts," said documentary producer Lisa McIntosh in a telephone interview from Glendale Thursday afternoon. "We'll try to recreate exactly what they saw."

The local legend took root when residents of the small town reported the landing of a spaceship near the home of Cecil "Lucky" Sutton home on the Old Madisonville Road at the edge of Kelly on Aug. 21, 1955. Sutton and other family members said 12 little men landed in a spaceship and then battled them at the house for hours.
McIntosh said "Monsters of the UFO" may air on cable television next summer. The Sci­Fi and Discovery channels are possible markets for the documentary, she said.

The documentary can be found here:
Monsters of the UFO: Incident At Kelly

THE KELLY-HOPKINSVILLE INCIDENT - AN HISTORIC REVIEW:

Investigative Files: The Flatwoods UFO Monster
by Joe Nickell (Skeptical Inquirer magazine

The Agust 22, 1955 article by the "Kentucky New Era"
Kelly Farmhouse Scene Of Alleged Raid By Strange Crew Last Night; Reports Say Bullets Failed To Affect Visitors

The CRITTER "INVASION" of KELLY-HOPKINSVILLE
Article by Annie MacFie

Article of the "Kentucky New Era" newspaper, December 30, 2002.
Kelly Green Men
Children of witness to alleged alien invasion defend father's 1955 claim

ET Siege At Hopkinsville - Rense

www.kellygreenmen.com...

Dimensions: A Casebook of Alien Contact

The Kelly ‘commotion' (recent press article)
www.ufosnw.com...

January 7, 2003 - Lexington, Kentucky Herald-Leader Newspaper
Interview With "Lucky" Sutton's Children

Indianapolis Star Newspaper
Article Right After Incident Happened

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Thanks for the info Internos, we can always rely on you for some "nitty-gritty"....you're a star.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join