It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain to send warships to Gaza as Israel prepares for ceasefire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Britain to send warships to Gaza as Israel prepares for ceasefire

www.te legraph.co.uk

The Prime Minister has announced that Britain is prepared to send warships to the eastern Mediterranean to prevent arms being smuggled into the Gaza Strip.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.javno.com
uk.reuters.com

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
stunned

This is a bold move by Britian, personally im not sure what the geopolitical implications will be. from a Christian standpoint and and adheerant to the british isreal theory its very interesting.

This article also mentions ground forces. This is so unlike the current spineless UK.

could anyone shed any light on the possibilities on this move? Is this just another step awaiting an attack on Iran and its allies?

www.te legraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-1-2009 by drevill]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Spineless? WTF?

We have massive overseas commitments already at the moment, are apparently ready to send troops and warships to monitor the ceasefire there, yet you call us spineless?

Why?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Nice to know they're deciding to try to do something to help clean up the mess they left behind over 50 years ago. Now if only the French would get off their @$$es and do the same. The French probably have more available manpower for this than the British do at this point.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
In other news be prepared for possible attacks on the British fleet or whoever else they send there. Maybe drag us into WWIII this could.

Just keep a close eye on this one people. It could even be a provocation by whoever to goad the locals.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

What mess? It was the UN that created Israel, Britian actually tried to STOP illegal Jewish immigrants from flooding Palestine. Jewish terrorists (Irgun etc) kept bombing us and killing our people, so we went "fudge it, it's not worth it" and handed it over for the UN to decide what should happen.

'Aint our mess chap. If you want blame, look at the US and it's blind support for all Israel does, without which this problem would have gone away a long time ago.

[edit on 17/1/09 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
A false operation perhaps?

Israel seems to be attacking anyone and everyone at the moment, including UN buildings....public opinions seem (On ATS at least) to be moving more and more to agreeing Israel needs to stop.

We put our own forces right in the middle of it all... if Israel attacks us, we have a fully fair reason to attack back, and we would already have a small amount of forces there to start with....

But hey, I don't know what our government is thinking anymore...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

From a government policy standpoint we are. When was the last time we stuck out alone?

Not the forces themselves by any means we punch way above our budget

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Israle and the UK arent going to be fighting each other. I dont know where this is coming from.

Originally posted by StevenDye
A false operation perhaps?

Israel seems to be attacking anyone and everyone at the moment, including UN buildings....public opinions seem (On ATS at least) to be moving more and more to agreeing Israel needs to stop.

We put our own forces right in the middle of it all... if Israel attacks us, we have a fully fair reason to attack back, and we would already have a small amount of forces there to start with....

But hey, I don't know what our government is thinking anymore...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I don't think we necessarily will... that was just the way it came across. More of a 'If I wanted to start war on Israel without actually 'starting' it, this is what I'd do'.

Probably should have made that more clear...and I've been surprised by things we've done before...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

During the United Nations vote on the creation of Israel, Britain abstained.

The OP is unaware the British sovereign bases on Cyprus, is where these warships are coming from (it makes sense we patrol the waters). Britain is - via UN authority - head of the International Maritime Organization.

Germany and France are to participate in this operation too.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Its not just Britain,France and Germany are sending ships too.
www.reuters.com...

The mission is to help stop arms going into Gaza,(as this is part of the peace agreements)but we also know its so we can keep an eye on Israel,as this time they may have gone too far.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
No way that any of the EU countries would dare touch Israel without US "approval". It just wouldnt happen unless Israel overtly attacked one of those countries first. As the poster above mentioned, these ships are on the way to monitor whats going into Gaza. The US and Israel have an agreement as well to "control" the Gaza weapons smuggling.

Originally posted by DantesLost
reply to post by drevill

www.reuters.com...

The mission is to help stop arms going into Gaza,(as this is part of the peace agreements)but we also know its so we can keep an eye on Israel,as this time they may have gone too far.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I am aware of the bases there. my family lived there

sorry i prob did not make it clear i am talking about the political side

Its been a long time since the government showed some real spirit, like the falklands.

just what they would send out of whats left of our once great navy will be interesting as they only have patrol ships stationed there

david

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

oh and what makes you say that? Us influence is deminishing globally. even Greece fobbed off the US as it tried to deliver weapons to Isreal

david

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by drevill

This is so unlike the current spineless UK

Oh really? So what brave country do you hail from then? Have you any idea of the UK's current military operations?

Totally, clearly and obviously not!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesLost
reply to post by drevill

www.reuters.com...

Interesting point, all this alleged arms smuggling into Gaza.

Mike Rivero over on whatreallyhappened.com makes a good point in his comments on one of the posted news items. For all the talk about Iranian weapons being smuggled into Gaza for Hamas to use, they only seem able to knock up homemade rockets - fire and forget and using homemade propellant and explosives. Throughout this conflict there has been no use of anti-tank weapons, shoulder fired SAMS etc by Hamas in fact, apart from the homemade rockets and small arms, they don't seem to have anything else.
You'd think that with all the alleged arms being smuggled in from Iran, they'd have used them and would have dispersed these weapons for use on the first day of the bombing by Israel, or earlier.
The conclusion one has to draw is that these smuggled weapons do not in fact exist except in the Israeli issued press statements.

With British, French and German warships patrolling, what will happen if they board a vessel carrying aid to Gaza and find only food / medicines and then see it attacked by Israeli vessels? Will they intervene to protect it or be driven off, as has happened before where Israeli aircraft have fired warning shots at other military vessels?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
hello

yes im from the UK

and I say again, i am NOT talking about our armed forces, i am talking politically!

as far as i am concerned our forces are the dogs gonads and 100% behind them.

Britians intent says, im my mind, that tehy know about arms from certain countries etc, its like a defacto war/embargo

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
yes the UK abstained, more to the point the arab nations voted against. also the were voting on the formation of

A) A jewish state
b) An arab state

The arabs nations didnt want independent palestinians any more than they wanted a jewish one. The treatment of palestinian refugee camps in countries like syria show what they think of them.

Its all a sham!

david

new topics

top topics

join