It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krispy Kreme - Freedom of Choice Inauguration Donuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Mods - if I got this in the wrong place - please move.

Krispy Creme has made the statement that they will give away free donuts on Inauguration Day. It's to celebrate 'choice' in America. (I don't know if they would have given them away if America had used 'choice' to vote for McCain - guess we'll never know.)

Anyways - some pro-life groups are connecting the word 'choice' with Obama's very liberal position on abortion and so they are now claiming that the donut giveaway is to celebrate Obama and Abortion.

The Krispy Kreme company has been asked about this but they have not responded yet.

Official Krispy Crème Statement

Life Site News

“Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. is honoring American's sense of pride and freedom of choice on Inauguration Day, by offering a free doughnut of choice to every customer on this historic day, Jan. 20. By doing so, participating Krispy Kreme stores nationwide are making an oath to tasty goodies -- just another reminder of how oh-so-sweet ‘free’ can be.”

Miami New Times

Krispy Kreme has given away free donuts before. Notably on ‘Donut Day’. I think I remember them giving donuts away for election day as well. I could be wrong. But I seem to remember that.

Snopes – Free donuts on Donut Day

I have NO IDEA if there is actually a conspiracy by Krispy Kreme to somehow support Obama and the abortion debate or if it simply is a company who is involved in a BRILLIANT marketing ploy to bring in customers. I know that Krispy Kreme here has been in trouble lately. (Most likely because their donuts are awful) They could be capitalizing on the popularity of Obama, grabbing his coat tails, and that would be smart for business. Or they could simply be celebrating freedom of choice in politics in America.

Frankly - I don't see the pro-abortion conspiracy here that the pro-life sites see. I went hunting and I couldn't find anything. IMHO this is brilliant marketing by a company that, at the top, probably leans for Obama.

Anyways - there's the information that I have at this point.

I'm willing to bet this will raise Krispy Kreme sales in the future. Many of the Obama supporters will want to purchase donuts there instead of elsewhere. Like I said - smart marketing.

Now if only they'd make better donuts.

immediate edit to fix quote

[edit on 1/17/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
It's marketing.
Nothing else but marketing.
Pretty smart I'd imagine. They will probably end up plenty of new business because the happy masses will think it shows some type of support for Obama.

It might even be a subtle reference to JFK. (Isn't Obama the new JFK)

Didn't JFK tell the citizens of Berlin that he was a doughnut?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The phrase "Freedom of Choice" is definitely associated with pro-choice in many people's minds. I'm not saying that was their intent or anything (although it could have been and I don't see a thing wrong with that), but I can certainly see why some people would think it's about the abortion stance, and Obama has said he will sign the FOCA, so that part makes sense. And it's definitely not a surprise that fundamentalists jumped all over it. They don't care much for freedom.

Now, is there something "wrong" with having pro-choice donuts? Not that I see. Some aren't going to like it, but hey, this is America. There's always people who complain about one thing or another. It's our right.

But there's also nothing wrong with celebrating our freedom of choice, whether it's in donuts, who we marry, whether or not we talk about our relationships in the military or our own personal choices regarding procreation. Freedom of choice is a fundamental right of Americans (which I hope is broadened under Obama's administration) and I say celebrating it is a GOOD thing.

I've never had a Krispy Kreme donut, but I'd sure be willing to try one.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
It's marketing.

That's what I think. It's brillian marketing. Someone is hanging onto the Obama coatails. I don't think I've ever seen so much commercial marketing surrounding a poltiician before.

Krispy Kreme was big down where we used to live in Alabama.
Those folks were gaa-gaa over them.
I tried 'em and thought they were awful.

The singer Madonna once said she was addicted to them.

Around here the chain is in trouble. Some of the stores have closed.

This marketing could help them. It's rather smart.

I just don't see what the Pro-Life press sees with it however.
Sorry guys. I'm not seeing it.

new topics

top topics

join